Need Advice on Author photo

RJ_Beam

Registered
Reaction score
I have been offered a contract with an indy publisher to publish my first novel. In the packet of items I need to return to them is a request for a photo to go onto the book jacket...

Seeing how I am a real cop writing police mystery stories what should my photo be?

My Dept hates having their name/symbols used so I can not be in uniform.

So do I...
- Head shot close up with squad car light bar in background (no logos visible)
- Full body shot with just polo shirt and cargo pants and gun on hip. Kind of a plain clothes look so again no logos. With plain background.
- Chest up in a suit and tie. Just a professional look with a plain background.
- Something else I did not think about...

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
I like the idea of the head shot with the squad car light bar in the background. I imagine the text beneath will mention your police credentials, so the photo would reinforce the text.

Don't care for the plain clothes with gun, or the business suit (I don't think I've seen any fiction author photo where the writer is wearing a suit.)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Third! Sounds like a great photo.

And congratulations!

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Congratulations! Traditionally you need a head shot, period. When promoting the book, they will send the image to newspapers and media. The one you mention says a lot without words. Very effective. Just make sure it is professional quality.

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with everyone else. A vanity headshot for a sworn/former sworn officer doesn't do much for those on the fence in regards to buying your book. Your face isn't what your initially selling, it's your expertise/experience which add verisimilitude to your novel.

I agree that the light bar is a great touch, but so is a 3/4 shot of you in khaki cargo pants, a polo, with a gun on your hip, sunglasses and leaning back against a squad car (no logo showing), arms crossed with a light bar visible.

Use that command authority you've cultivated in your job.

And congratulations.

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

I totally agree that you should play up your expertise in your photo. As a reader, I am definitely more inclined to pick up a book written by someone who has "insider info" and seeing you look like a cop will automatically let me know who you are. I'd say professional but with clear nod to cop-i-ness. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Don't get fancy. Look at the photos on other published books. A simple head shot is best. If you hire a photographer, make sure the price includes copyright to the photo.

The caption/blurb will tell all about your experience as a police officer.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I agree with James about not getting fancy. My photog took some pics with me in hat, coat, and gun (Texas prosecutor here) and my pub loved them, but shied away from using them. The truth is, not everyone loves cops, so why risk alienating even a small portion of potential readers? May seem silly, but details makes a difference to people sometimes.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree (with just about everyone, it appears)... If you are still on the job, and dependent upon your current and likely anticipated future assignment(s), don't provide a photo; it will tend to compromise your effectiveness on the street. If you work under a security clearance be absolutely certain you have the appropriate authorization/sanction to disclose otherwise restricted data (to include your likeness). Get any such approvals in writing - CYA.

RJ_Beam

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I will likely try a few ideas and let the Pub pick the one they think will add value, if any...

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I initially liked the cop car idea, but then I thought about a local doctor who writes novels about doctors and publishes as "Dr [Bob Somename], MD." His author photo is of him in surgical scrubs. To me, it came off as tacky and overdone. Cuz, you know, heaven forbid you might forget he's a doctor.

The author photos I remember most are head shots of the author either smiling or looking thoughtful but not overly thoughtful. Going gimmicky is risky.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree (with just about everyone, it appears)... If you are still on the job, and dependent upon your current and likely anticipated future assignment(s), don't provide a photo; it will tend to compromise your effectiveness on the street. If you work under a security clearance be absolutely certain you have the appropriate authorization/sanction to disclose otherwise restricted data (to include your likeness). Get any such approvals in writing - CYA.

This. My department surfs the web looking for things. If you are still with a department, it's not worth the risk and possible headache. Your readers may google and find you, but especially if you're using your real name, don't make it easy for them. There are people I have locked up I don't want to see again, if at all possible.

Re read "Games Criminals Play."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Under those circumstances. being a writer is a good cover for a police officer. You use a photo, but you avoid putting anything in the caption or blurb that mentions being a police officer.

If you work under a security clearance, at least one that's high enough, you always need permission to do anything.