Richard III's remains: Leicester car park dug up

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I hope the dig is successful, as I start my new Ancient History and Archeology degree at Leicester. :)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm going to start pronouncing "Pittsburgh" "Pitts-burr-uh." Maybe it'll catch on.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to start pronouncing "Pittsburgh" "Pitts-burr-uh." Maybe it'll catch on.

We pronounce Bergh Apton down the road as "Burg Apton". As opposed to the Roman Fort at Burgh Castle a few miles away which is, obviously, pronounced 'Burrer Castle'.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
We pronounce Bergh Apton down the road as "Burg Apton". As opposed to the Roman Fort at Burgh Castle a few miles away which is, obviously, pronounced 'Burrer Castle'.

As long as you're consistent.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Bergh, if its going to deviate from Burg should be pronounced as Barrow. Unless Bergh is supposed to be Burgh.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Bergh, if its going to deviate from Burg should be pronounced as Barrow. Unless Bergh is supposed to be Burgh.

'Bergh' in Bergh Apton presumably comes from the small Roman fort that the church now sits on. 'Burgh' in Burgh Castle is from the huge Roman fort slowly slipping into the river.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Gothicangel when do you start your degree? I am planning to go to Leicester for a funeral in the, hopefully, not too distant future. Maybe we could meet up for a wake!

The big question now is, if the remains are Richard's where should he be buried? Main contenders are: Leicester, York, Windsor or Westminster Abbey. Any thoughts? And no, not about how they are pronounced!

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
'Bergh' in Bergh Apton presumably comes from the small Roman fort that the church now sits on. 'Burgh' in Burgh Castle is from the huge Roman fort slowly slipping into the river.

From what I can find, Bergh Apton comes from the merger-of-a-sort of two villages: Bergh and Apton. Bergh was originally built on a small hill (barrow) overlooking the River Chet. *shrug*

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Gothicangel when do you start your degree? I am planning to go to Leicester for a funeral in the, hopefully, not too distant future. Maybe we could meet up for a wake!

The big question now is, if the remains are Richard's where should he be buried? Main contenders are: Leicester, York, Windsor or Westminster Abbey. Any thoughts? And no, not about how they are pronounced!

York, I think. He was pretty popular there, wasn't he? And I seem to recall reading somewhere that he wanted to be buried there. Also, I love York Minster.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
York, I think. He was pretty popular there, wasn't he? And I seem to recall reading somewhere that he wanted to be buried there. Also, I love York Minster.

I also love the Minster. I think he is still popular in York.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

You can't do that, it wouldn't fit with North Ver-sales. :D

I reckon York too.

A friend of mine reckoned he should have a Catholic Mass given that Richard was a devout Catholic. I thought that was quite an interesting point.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I have a Brit Lit question: Richard 3's grave was memorialized in a garden owned by a Robert Herrick. I know it can't be the Gather Ye Rosebuds Herrick because of the time gap and because the poet was a bachelor, but was it an ancestor? That would be improbable but way cool--s6

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
You can't do that, it wouldn't fit with North Ver-sales. :D

I reckon York too.

A friend of mine reckoned he should have a Catholic Mass given that Richard was a devout Catholic. I thought that was quite an interesting point.

It is a very interesting point. Though a friend I was talking to about this pointed out that she is a devout Christian, and she thought that was more important than belonging to a specific denomination. Richard would have known the Minster, and may have worshipped there.

I have a Brit Lit question: Richard 3's grave was memorialized in a garden owned by a Robert Herrick. I know it can't be the Gather Ye Rosebuds Herrick because of the time gap and because the poet was a bachelor, but was it an ancestor? That would be improbable but way cool--s6

Alderman Robert Herrick bought the land in 1600 and he built "a mansion with a stone pillar in the garden marking the site of Richard's grave."* in 1612. Robert Herrick the poet was born in London in 1591. Which is about as much info that I know. I suppose they may have been related . . . what Komnena said!

*http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....-burial-site/story-16893192-detail/story.html

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
From what I can find, Bergh Apton comes from the merger-of-a-sort of two villages: Bergh and Apton. Bergh was originally built on a small hill (barrow) overlooking the River Chet. *shrug*

The small hill contained a Roman hill fort upon which the church was later built.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score

I'm starting in February [I know sounds weird, but they are quite flexible that way :)]

I think he should be interred at Westminster. My sister [the Theology student] tells me there might be a problem with the Diocese for burial in York.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting in February [I know sounds weird, but they are quite flexible that way :)]

Maybe during the spring . . . less bad weather.

I think he should be interred at Westminster. My sister [the Theology student] tells me there might be a problem with the Diocese for burial in York.

Westminster Abbey is a royal peculiar - so it would be up to HM and the Palace has already said that 'they' are not interested. Westminster Cathedral is the Mother Church for Catholics in England and Wales - so he could be buried there. If, of course, it is Richard III.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Westminster Abbey is a royal peculiar - so it would be up to HM and the Palace has already said that 'they' are not interested. Westminster Cathedral is the Mother Church for Catholics in England and Wales - so he could be buried there. If, of course, it is Richard III.

They're not interested? That seems a bit of a shame. :(

Westminster Cathedral would make sense.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I also think it is a bit of a shame - but it could be difficult and divisive. If it is RIII, well, he was a Catholic, and although Westminster Abbey was Catholic until the Reformation it is now C of E. So burying him in a C of E place might offend some people - though there is a paradox in that most of the Kings and Queens buried there were Catholics. James I had his mother, Mary Queen of Scots moved from Peterborough Cathedral and buried in the Abbey even though she was Catholic and the Abbey was, by then C of E. All this religious stuff is giving me a headache!