• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

YA Urban Fantasy Looking for a Beta and Writing Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Receding Waters

How much for a cheeseburger?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ourchinaexperiment.wordpress.com
I'm searching for a Beta reader for my 95, 000 YA Urban fantasy. I'm up for a fair trade and will Beta another finished manuscript. I consider my MS complete (as much as it can be, I suppose), so I'm interested in Beta reading a completed (as best as can be done) MS.

I'm also on the lookout for a writing buddy. I separate these two because some folks who would make great Beta readers just don't want to make it a long-term thing.

I live and work in China--been here almost four years--and it's difficult to find writers here who have the time to devote to a partnership like this. A few colleagues write, but, well, they are not reliable and I don't live on the campus with them.

I'm interested in communicating at least twice a week with someone about their writing and my writing. The novel I'm trying to query now isn't so much influenced by my life here, but other stories I've been working on--including another novel--are. I'm genuinely interested in finding someone--hell, maybe we could make it a small group?--who I mesh with, but who will call me out on some of the nonsense I write so I can make it better.

If you're interested in either Beta Reading or the Writing Buddy part, please respond here or PM me. I've got a blog that I keep about my life in China. It's basically rambles and bad pictures, but feel free to take a look. Follow the link under the signature.

This is one of the queries I have for the current MS----

Eighteen-year-old Laken Rosewood incinerates two friends when fire bursts from his body. Losing control of the natural elements he’s trained for years to harness forces him to seek help at the Guild, the place that mentored generations of his family. That turns out to be a bad move, too. Julian, a lunatic with a God complex, is running the show.

The wildfire within Laken reveals a secret Julian wants: the location of a legendary blueprint for the cosmos, the Universal Mandala. If Julian gets this cheat sheet for creation, he’s calling the shots on everything. Laken’s life has been turned to kindling for the flames, but he’s just not a fan of Julian’s remake-the-world-as-a-crazy-dictator approach. Also, having demons hunt down and torture information out of people doesn’t exactly build confidence in his management style.

When Julian holds Laken’s mother and the girl he’s falling for hostage, it’s no longer just about letting a psycho reshape the world. There’s only one thing a barely sane teen with a habit of bursting into flames can do against a sadist with a God-sized ego. Scorch ‘em. Laken must overcome the twisted fire’s hold on his mind to save those he loves and torch Julian, or the world’s getting a facelift from a maniac.

FIRE’S CRY is a YA urban fantasy complete at 95,000 words. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.