The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
It's moments like these that I hate my Mac. I was in the process of typing up my email/cover letter to Apex, when I brushed my hand against my mouse, and BOOM. My submission to Apex was sent off into the interwebs before it was ready. I immediately received the standard "We have received your submission" email. I went ahead and finished up the actual submission and sent that off. My fear is that because that first email was mistakenly sent, they are immediately going to delete the other one. Am I being paranoid? Not that I think I'll get anything other than a form R, but you guys know how it is. Sincerely, a very nervous writer.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's moments like these that I hate my Mac. I was in the process of typing up my email/cover letter to Apex, when I brushed my hand against my mouse, and BOOM. My submission to Apex was sent off into the interwebs before it was ready. I immediately received the standard "We have received your submission" email. I went ahead and finished up the actual submission and sent that off. My fear is that because that first email was mistakenly sent, they are immediately going to delete the other one. Am I being paranoid? Not that I think I'll get anything other than a form R, but you guys know how it is. Sincerely, a very nervous writer.

Just follow it up with the correct submission. You won't be the first writer to have that happen to them. Possibly not even the first today :)

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Weird random stat from my Duotrope history.

The next market I submit to for the first time will be the 100th different market I've reported a submission to via Duotrope. Somehow that seems kinda cool. :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a long week. I did get some work done, which was nice after having non-writing weeks for most of March. Also got two rejections that made me snarl (forms, and polite enough, just frustrating) but I have now re-subbed both of those stories.

Also waiting on pins and needles for word from Asimov's about "In the Cool of the Day". At 26 days which just makes me antsy because last time I got the form R at 16 days. (Looks like their response time is slower in general this month though.) Ooh. And "The Hardest Kiss" has almost hit the 200 day mark at Tor.com. Only another three months or so before I can start watching for a response from them. :p

Aggy, still trudging along

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is with reference to some comments in the Braggage thread.

If you get accepted by Pank, do you have to read your story aloud for them? Because if that's so I'll never submit to them.

I have a horrible voice. I'd never do that. Never. It would be humiliating.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website

If you get accepted by Pank, do you have to read your story aloud for them? Because if that's so I'll never submit to them.

You don't have to, but it is an option. :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Now I want to hear Lillie speak. :evil

Does Pank pay, and if so, do they pay you extra to read your own story?

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Does Pank pay, and if so, do they pay you extra to read your own story?

Tempted to develop a deviant plan to capture Lillie's voice.

And unfortunately, no, they don't pay, but I do love that little magazine (not to mention they are stirring up quite a buzz), so I'm still happy to have had work accepted there.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I wouldn't want to do my own readings, either.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with my voice (unless you mind a mild Russian accent)--but I'm a terrible voice actor. Which is weird, since I get paid to run seminars/speak and I can do that fine. But I can't read from the prepared text and have that sound palatable.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

No way am I demonstrating my horrible voice, but I sound a bit like this lunatic on the Jezza show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEyYaLFm3Xc
The sounds a bit messed up, but it'll give you an idea of what I sound like.

And yeah, I watch Jezza all the time. It makes me feel better about my own life.

And no. That isn't me. Lol.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Ah you spoiled by genre mags Defcon! ;-)

They don't, but it's a pretty cool magazine... And in literary lit exposure is more important than bucks, I think.
I go by the motto: "There are no free lunches" aka "you ain't getting my writing for free!"

Plus, you can do exposure and all that from the comfort of your own blog. Some of the reviews I've done have earned me a bit exposure.

No way am I demonstrating my horrible voice, but I sound a bit like this lunatic on the Jezza show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEyYaLFm3Xc
The sounds a bit messed up, but it'll give you an idea of what I sound like.

And yeah, I watch Jezza all the time. It makes me feel better about my own life.

And no. That isn't me. Lol.
Haha, it's the UK Jerry Springer show! That stuff is crazy.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I almost posted this in braggage since it has to do with Alex's lovely story just posted today at Everyday Fiction, but since it is more of a rant towards the individual who supplied a comment on the story, I figured it would be a better idea to put it here. What's posted below is what I posted as a comment on the site, and I hope I won't anger anyone by placing it here as well, but as a community of writers, I wondered how all of you feel about people who feel the need to provide critiques (rather than a personal assessment of like or not like) AFTER a piece has found a home. My comment is below. Enjoy!

"A lovely story, Alex!

On a side note, it quite bothers me when people feel the need to critique published work. The author is not looking for beta readers. The work has been deemed worthy of publishing, and by a wonderful source, too. At this point, what is the author to do? Say “Oh, I’m so sorry you noticed what you deem an error. Let me have the publication pull it so that I may alter it for you.”? Can you imagine if we were all expected to do this? Certainly we are all entitled to our opinions. Certainly we are all free to like or dislike a piece and say so in a public forum but to offer critique? Tsk, tsk. Such poor form. "

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those comments seem to be pretty normal at EDF. It's a trial by fire! They don't pull their punches.

It's useful, though.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Those comments seem to be pretty normal at EDF. It's a trial by fire! They don't pull their punches.

It's useful, though.

I've noticed that, but I can't help but wonder to what end is it useful? If you hoped to perhaps one day anthologize your piece, would you take those comments into consideration? Trust me, I know that our editing is never over. As we grow, get better, we look back on old work and think "Yeesh. I could do so much better now," but it just seems like bad form to go into a story that a writer has crafted to the best of his or her ability, a story to which an editor has said, "Yes," (OH JOY HEAPED ON JOYS!), and proceed to rip it to shreds. What good does it serve other than making the writer feel poorly about his ability and wondering if the editor made a mistake in letting his error riddled abomination slip through the slush pile?

As writers, we all develop a thick skin. Rejection after rejection does it to us. We are constantly growing. I get that, but why do I need to have some person in Omaha that I've never met tell me that he/she felt that the use of the word "lovely" was not well placed?

Maybe it's the rain today that has me feeling snarky. :D

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Umm...I critique published stories...

It's not that I'm ripping a story up, but rather, I see it as doing some good. Yes, the story is published, but that doesn't mean the author can't continue to learn from it--especially so since now the story is open to a wider audience. As an author, you can see what works and what doesn't on a much broader scale. Also, look at how many people point to Twilight as an example of what not to do in your writing. Published or not, you still learn.

All and all, I just can't stand it when I see something that's poorly done and published. If I let it slide without mentioning anything, then I let my writing standards slide. Sure it's crap--but who cares? It's published! --No, that attitude isn't for me. I do care because I don't want to read more crap, nor do I want to add to the mountain of crap literature that we have; I want to read writing that's worthy of being written.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
But isn't this as simple as not reading what's not worthy of your time? If I'm three sentences in, and the story isn't for me, I stop reading and move on to something I think is worthy.

Of course crappy writing is published on a daily basis, and there are a plethora of subpar publications to which I would never submit my writing. Is it fair? No, it isn't. The Colored Lens offers a wonderful summary of why bad stories are purchased over well written ones. You can find it here. http://www.mzbworks.com/why.htm

I constantly look to these sorts of writing as examples of what not to do. Sure we may think that we are "helping" the writer by telling him or her that his tenses shift, but what are we really accomplishing? If that writer has an inflated ego, what good are we doing him or her by pointing out that the writing is bad? If it is to sharpen our own writing abilities, can't we internalize what we deem poor writing and then incorporate those lessons into our own work?

Looks like I made some enemies this morning. :D Didn't mean to... *Goes to hide in a corner.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I consider it helping, whether or not the author or other readers share that thought. At least I didn't stay silent and pretend nothing was wrong--which I think more people should be outspoken (on a more global scale) over issues/grievances. If you don't speak up, how is anything ever to change?

Also, if I don't finish a story, I don't critique it--although it may be helpful to say why I didn't finish the story.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed that, but I can't help but wonder to what end is it useful?

For me, that kind of technical criticism would help in a 'Oh, shit, yeah. I'll watch out for that next time' sort of way.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I consider it helping, whether or not the author or other readers share that thought. At least I didn't stay silent and pretend nothing was wrong--which I think more people should be outspoken (on a more global scale) over issues/grievances. If you don't speak up, how is anything ever to change?

Also, if I don't finish a story, I don't critique it--although it may be helpful to say why I didn't finish the story.

I can appreciate this. I suppose what I should say is that when I see a story that is obviously well written and placed, and I see someone being harsh for the sake of being harsh, I get rather angry.

So I guess in some ways, we are not so different, you and I. :D

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
This is a great discussion.

I've yet to have a public criticism of one of my stories after it was published. I'd like to think that when it does happen that I'll be able to react (internally -- I don't think there's much place for a writer to publicly react to criticisms which are not themselves accusations of misdeeds) in an appropriate way.

Though, in reality, I know that my internal reaction will likely depend as much on the mood I'm in that day as anything else. :)

I do believe that as long as the criticism is intended to be instructive and delivered with a proper degree of courtesy that offense probably shouldn't be taken.

(One last thought: Context matters. I'd be loathe to be negative towards a story in the Braggage thread here because that's not the point. It's a thread for celebrating our accomplishments. But, IMO, a comment thread on the publishing site is open for polite discussion of the story's merits and faults.)

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I almost posted this in braggage since it has to do with Alex's lovely story just posted today at Everyday Fiction, but since it is more of a rant towards the individual who supplied a comment on the story, I figured it would be a better idea to put it here. What's posted below is what I posted as a comment on the site, and I hope I won't anger anyone by placing it here as well, but as a community of writers, I wondered how all of you feel about people who feel the need to provide critiques (rather than a personal assessment of like or not like) AFTER a piece has found a home. My comment is below. Enjoy!

"A lovely story, Alex!

On a side note, it quite bothers me when people feel the need to critique published work. The author is not looking for beta readers. The work has been deemed worthy of publishing, and by a wonderful source, too. At this point, what is the author to do? Say “Oh, I’m so sorry you noticed what you deem an error. Let me have the publication pull it so that I may alter it for you.”? Can you imagine if we were all expected to do this? Certainly we are all entitled to our opinions. Certainly we are all free to like or dislike a piece and say so in a public forum but to offer critique? Tsk, tsk. Such poor form. "

First, thank you very much for liking the story, and your kind words :)

Second, I don't worry about the comments overmuch. I mean, I *read them* -- some authors have the willpower not to, but I don't. However, I also have pretty thick skin and a healthy amount of self-confidence, so a few negative reviews or low ratings won't dissuade me.

There was a fair amount of discussion on the EDF forum as to whether they should continue to offer the comment feature, since many of the comments tend toward somewhat negative. I was a strong proponent of leaving it in place. Authors have to be able to deal with rejection, bad reviews or a negative comment or two as a matter of course.

And honestly, if anything, I think the comments for "The Traveling Fair" have been quite positive so far, for EDF. It's a subtle story and I definitely expected some pushback on that (and got some) but didn't see anyone say anything I would consider unfair.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been crazy productive lately.

A week ago I got back to a story I've been meaning to write, called "Fate and Other Variables." a story that had the first scene (1600 words or so) written in January and no progress on it since then.

I finished that story today, and it stands at 5350 words. I was rushing to write the last scene earlier today, running late for work. But I re-read what I had when I got home, and I *like it*.

Feeling very good about finishing something outside of my comfort zone lengthwise, doing so in a reasonable amount of time and (fairly sure) not ending up with a total jumbled mess.