• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

P.N. Elrod is Critiquing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Have many people sent any present tense stuff? I read through her rules and she seems quite adamant about not taking any. My chapter would be first person present tense, but I don't want to send it to her and seem like a total knob for not reading the rules. I'm also hesitant by putting a note in, something like "Well, I know you don't like this but I thought I'd try anyway because it's super cool" because I feel like that will make me come across as, not only ignoring the rules, but assuming I'm an exception and mines super special.

Urgh... but it seems like it's such an experience.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I've talked about the present tense thing with other writers and with agents, and what they don't like is that it's impossible to sell to publishers.

It's not just first person, present tense, but present tense in general that gets rejected. I know there are exceptions, but those books might not be from debut writers.

She's clear on the website she loathes it, she actually used the word loathe--in red letters--so it's probably better to stick to the Share Your Work forum here. At least it's free! :D

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Have many people sent any present tense stuff? I read through her rules and she seems quite adamant about not taking any.

I sent first present. But I submitted way back, before she changed her site rules. Got lucky.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
^^ had no idea. Thanks! Will take a look.

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering using her editing service advertised onsite. Anyone have any experience with this?
Kinda nervous since I haven't worked with an editor before. Should I try her critique instead?

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Elrod edited my debut novel and I can't recommend her highly enough. She was prompt, thorough and very helpful. She even gave me a separate document highlighting my main writing sins. I continue to refer to it while doing first round edits on my current MS.

If you've been through a round of crit in SYW, then you'll be fine with her style. I didn't find it brutal, but some do. She'll ask for a sample to see if your MS is ready for her services before taking on the job.

Good luck!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Just spotted this on Ms. Elrod's Facebook page:

Having a prob--I need the ID of the writer who sent this:

CRITIQUE/math based magic-read world)/Novel/Road to Chaos

I've churned through sent emails and can't find the original submission and worse luck, I failed to put the writer's email on the submission itself...

If this is your story, please let me know if I sent the crit to you or not.

Does it belong to anyone here? If so, get thee to your email and drop her a line!

Indubitably

I Followed the Hair Loss Ads
Registered
Reaction score
Am I understanding right that it takes a few months for her to get back? I'm sure her input is incredibly valuable, but yikes, that's hard to wrap my head around.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
She added an update:

Okay, that's it. I'm caught up on all my critiques. If anyone has sent something in and didn't hear from me, now's the time to speak up.

Indubitably- a few months of waiting is nothing. I waited 8 months to hear back from a magazine about a story (their listed wait time was supposed to be 8 weeks) but you get used to it. In the end they bought the story.

I have an agent and it took 8 months to sell a book proposal-- and it was a hot property, too. If you're aiming for commercial publication the glacial slowness is part of the landscape.

Anyway, I understand she could only do a couple crits at a time and is busy with her own writing and editing. It's a wonder she has time at all. Most pros don't, or they charge a lot more for their feedback.

Last edited:

Indubitably

Registered
Reaction score
Indubitably- a few months of waiting is nothing. I waited 8 months to hear back from a magazine about a story (their listed wait time was supposed to be 8 weeks) but you get used to it. In the end they bought the story.

I have an agent and it took 8 months to sell a book proposal-- and it was a hot property, too. If you're aiming for commercial publication the glacial slowness is part of the landscape.

Anyway, I understand she could only do a couple crits at a time and is busy with her own writing and editing. It's a wonder she has time at all. Most pros don't, or they charge a lot more for their feedback.

That's a good point. I have to keep reminding myself of the pace of publishing. Then do you think it's a good idea to wait to send out queries on the work she's critiquing, since so many agents don't accept re-submissions?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good point. I have to keep reminding myself of the pace of publishing. Then do you think it's a good idea to wait to send out queries on the work she's critiquing, since so many agents don't accept re-submissions?

Well, since she's just said she's all caught up, I expect the wait time is now quite a bit shorter. The problem before was getting a whole bunch at once.

Write and ask if there's a long wait at present.

Agents accept resubmissions all the time -- if there's been rewriting to improve on things. I can let you know (I read a slush pile) that most agents and editors simply won't remember the original submission. When you're digging through 100s of subs a week, your head won't hang on to any of them. The best of the best are sent on to the senior editor, and only the worst of the worst send me to the bar for liquid therapy.

What I get from my agent is that she reads the first 5 pages and if those don't hook her, then the rest don't matter. Elrod does feedback on the first 10.

Indubitably

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight, Gillhoughly! I'll submit to Elrod and hope for the best. :)

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
All good things...

Seems that health issues have shut this one down. She just posted this on her Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/p.n.elrod/posts/10153031308186434?pnref=story

RE my Critique Service: I am still editing, but no longer doing critiques.

Seems when I get stressed the Rheumatoid in my wrists gets aggressively painful and writing critiques are a major stress trigger. Here's the announcement on the webpage. The page is up until I can shift the writing advice to another location.

THE CRITIQUE SERVICE IS NOW CLOSED

I'm sorry, but my doctor has told me to cut back on stress triggers, and doing critiques is one of the biggies. Until my health improves, I can no longer offer critiques. You are welcome to read the "Pro's Tips" near the bottom of the page, I will leave it up for those, but everything else to do with submissions is off the menu. Please do not send submissions. I will work to clear the ones that are left, but cannot take on any others. Thank you. P.N. Elrod, August 28, 2015

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Elrod has reopened!

Looks like she's back in the feedback game. This just appeared on Goodreads:

I've gotten healthy enough to reopen my critique service again. The website page is all new, but pointers may take you to the old page. If you see a pic of a dog on a tan background, just hit "refresh!"

I have in the sidebar 16 NEW PAGES of PRO'S TIPS, so if you're not interested in the critique, it's still worth a visit to check those out.

Also included in the sidebar are links to help sites for writers. Just paying things forward!

Hope you enjoy!

Pat Elrod

http://www.vampwriter.com/CRITIQUE.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.