• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Your First Five Chapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I want to beta your first five chapters. I'm looking to improve my critting skillz and get myself in the mood for working on my own book.

Me: I am a brutally honest critic. I will not be needlessly cruel, but I will tell you I don't like it, and then I will tell you why. My literary interests are diverse, but mostly I prefer character-driven stuff. I am probably a terrible choice of a beta if you have a YA, romance, or vampire novel. No zombie novels need apply. I'm not usually interested in Sci-Fi or fantasy novels, but I'm somewhat open...I hated GoT but I love Neil Gaiman, so there you go. I write mainstream fiction myself (real-type stuff that happens to real-type people.)

You:
*should be patient with my timeline (I am a busy woman, working full time, writing my own book) although I will try to get my crit to you within a week or two once I start reading it.

*should meet the community guidelines of 50 posts.

*understand that results may vary, and that I will be brutally, painfully truthful, even if I love your work.

As previously stated, my time is limited, so at this time I will probably only have space for 2-3 people. Apologies in advance.

This is a free service, but in return for my hard work, I request attention. Any kind is suitable: reps, thank you cards, replies to this post about how wonderful I am, hand-knitted blankets, I am not picky because I JUST WANT TO BE LOVED.

Please PM me with a brief synopsis of your story and what you are hoping to get from my crit. Peace out.

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
You're awesome for this! If I didn't write romantic women's fiction I'd jump all over your offer. If I could knit, I'd send you a blanket just because!

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a terrible choice for you so I will not pm you with a silly flirt synopsis. But, on behalf of the community and from deep inside, truckloads of love.

Peace out.

PS: Can't knit but sending e-ice cream.

RobLineberger

Registered
Reaction score
I write character-driven..... YA sci-fi fantasy. :(

Still, here is a hug and thanks for the offer.

*hug*

*whispers "thanks" in your ear*

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks you guys! I may or may not have mentioned this, but I LOVE attention!

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
All right, folks. I got exactly one bite to this thread and I really enjoyed the beta process, so I'd like to keep the ball rolling. Any other takers? Anyone? Bueller?

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, folks, full up at the moment. I do plan to keep this up for a few weeks, though, so keep your eyes peeled if you got here a bit late.

yetanotherheather

Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for real-type stuff happening to real-type people!

I haven't reached 50 posts yet, but I'm working on it. Maybe by the time I get there you'll have an opening. I hope so because I too write real-type stuff that happens to real-type people and would be very interested in some honest feedback. Even if it's not meant to be, however, thank you for doing this!

maryland

Registered
Reaction score
If you are looking for an in-depth appraisal, I do recommend Allycen. You receive three layers of close inspection - highlighting parts that are debatable, parts that don't hold together,( plus typos, P.O.V. changes,unbalanced tenses etc) and any parts that don't carry the story along.
It is a great help to see your writing through someone else's keen eyes like this. Like those washing powders that remove all stains, this was a success!

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
auzerais (AKA Allycen) is an awesome beta. I wasn't online much to check my email, thinking that it was going to take a few days for her to get back to me, but she critiqued and returned my (fairly lengthy) chapters so quickly. I was blown away.

In addition to that, she was thorough, thoughtful, diplomatic, and spot on in many regards, mentioning a few things that bothered two previous betas, so that confirmed it. Time to make changes based on her recommendations!

I feel privilaged that she took a look at my work. A big thank you to you, Allycen, for the gift of your time. :heart:

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, J Marks, for the public recognition! I'm loving it, and thanks for being a joy to beta for.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Thank you so much for a useful, incredibly detailed critique! I greatly appreciate it, and the suggestions will help immensely!

PS - I didn't feel any of your comments to be cruel or unjust - just honest and helpful. If I had wanted fluff, I would ask my mom for a critique :)

Last edited:

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
If you are still doing this, I've a WIP I would like some focused feedback on. I'm not above the 50 threshold yet, but soon. Mines YA, sorta dystopian, but things eventually get better. I would be happy at the appropriate time exchange your consideration of my piece for a small box of kittens in assorted flavors.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, rwhegwood...I am currently plowing through a pretty immense backlog of responses. I will put out a call when I'm available again. :)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wanted to say thanks a million for the crit, Allycen. Totally spot on. (Damn you commas!:Headbang:)

Sending lots of Karma Cookies.:Hug2:

havocride

Registered
Reaction score
Author here of "real-type stuff that happens to real-type people" so posting here to remember to come back when i reach the qualifying number of posts! thanks for what you do!

Aloysius

Registered
Reaction score
auzerais (AKA Allycen) is an awesome beta. I wasn't online much to check my email, thinking that it was going to take a few days for her to get back to me, but she critiqued and returned my (fairly lengthy) chapters so quickly. I was blown away.

In addition to that, she was thorough, thoughtful, diplomatic, and spot on in many regards, mentioning a few things that bothered two previous betas, so that confirmed it. Time to make changes based on her recommendations!

I feel privilaged that she took a look at my work. A big thank you to you, Allycen, for the gift of your time. :heart:

Hello, Alexander-lover. My main character is writing a biography of Alexander the Great. Any way of roping you in to take a look at it (or part of it)?

Status
Not open for further replies.