• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Writing Buddy, Can I Has?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Due to various reasons, especially doubt, I struggle with finishing anything. In the past 2 years I attempted to write 2 novels. One made it to 30k on its second try, though the plot was a mess, and the other kind of just stopped at 5k words.

In all of my 27 years, 30k is the highest I've ever gotten writing a novel.

So this morning, I got a random thought that may or may not allow me gain the will to write them again.

However, to ensure that I'm not "insane" or that the though can actually make sense, I'd like someone to talk to about it. I have Skype, but only on my phone. Email might work too.

The only things anyone should know is the following:

1) Depending on my moods, I'm slow at answering emails.

2) My stories often contain things such as sexual content (not detailed), minor profanity, and same-sex relationships.

3) I write fantasy.

So a writing buddy would be great. ;_;

You can either PM me here or email me at steph.k.southwell(at)gmail(dot)com.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Hapax Legomenon (another user here, maybe you've seen her around) and I chat on Skype about writing things. She has a post about it here.

Wanna chat with us? I write erotic romance novels about LGBT characters, usually sci-fi and fantasy. Hapax writes sci-fi and fantasy, usually with (in my opinion) a YA feel.

Last edited:

object of my charm

Registered
Reaction score
Personal question: Do you find "finishing things" difficult in other areas of your life too?

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I have tried twice.

Once with my "best friend" but we both moved away she got busy and gave me full reins as just a major beta reader.

I supposedly have a book in the works now with a friend down here, but I'm finding that I am not as interested as I should be.

The problem with finding a co-author is that while I'm open to many many things, people that are willing to write with me are not. They are too strict or conservative, etc.

Co-authoring would be fun, though, because I love working with others. XD

Tatyana Black

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, doubt. I know how that feels. I'm on my last chapter and I look at it and think it's all crap.
But of course it is, some would say. It's the first draft. My mind doesn't agree with them, though.
Now, apart from doubt, what else makes you stop writing? Me, I found my scenes boring. So, I thought to stop having the characters sit and chat. Better they walk and chat, at least they move.

Tatyana Black

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is different and yet, has the same problems. With my last story I did this. I sat down and thought how the story will unfold. I didn't write, just imagined it in my mind. Then I found the most interesting scenes and named them. And then, I focused on those scenes as though they were short stories instead of one huge project. It did help me not to get bored with it, even though it took me months to finish. But that has to do with the fear of failing, of not having a great story. Ah, all these fears!
Try to sit down for a few quiet minutes and think why the story isn't keeping you focused. Start asking, what if the character jumped over the fence instead of walking around it? That would be an action. It's much more interesting. Don't write anything, just imagine the scene.

infinitefrank

Padawan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitefrank.weebly.com
Everyone has ideas; that's why you can't sell them. You've got to sit down and do the work: make your 30K manuscript into a 75K manuscript, make that 5K words of an idea into a 30K manuscript. Don't just call yourself a writer, be a writer.

As for what could inspire you to your limits of creative literature? Now that's a question. Feel free to send me a PM if you need someone to bounce ideas off of or discuss anything!

Bufkus

Registered
Reaction score
i should pick your novel back up again, been slacking due to IRL stuff

Tatyana Black

Registered
Reaction score
Send her the idea and she'll see if it's good or not. Then, gather your confindence, give it a shake and start writing.

Others can do so much for you. The hardest part is in your hands, though. Don't give up if you want to write. Keep going.

P.S. This is for you as well as me :). I'm editing my story and need some self- encouragement.

Bufkus

Registered
Reaction score
btw 27 is still young. i didn't finally finish a manuscript from start to end until i was 33 lol.

larissahinton

Registered
Reaction score
I think the short story route may be the way to go. That way you can start with small steps and turn those stories into a whole novel. Then all you have to do is fill in the gaps. I've written plenty of short stories that I really want to turn in novels, and I have taken the opposite route of writing short stories about the characters from my novels. Then you can take those short stories and submit them to magazines and get some feedback from others. You might even get paid for it. You never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.