Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Editor
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #126
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
KDante, what are your goals in publishing? You need to establish those right now. Do you just want to say 'I have been published', and know it's okay if you sell no more than a dozen copies a year? Do you want to aggressively market your self-published work,in hopes of being the next Konrath or Hocking?

Because you're going to have to do everything a 'trade' publisher would do for you, by yourself, and at least as competently - if not more.

Why do you think a publisher's art department WOULDN'T work with you, to a reasonable point? If your cover ideas work, they'd probably be high on the department's wish list. Even if they aren't 100% effective, elements and ideas can be adapted.

If you've been following Tor.com at all recently, there's been a lovely series of articles about cover art inspiring short stories, and about the cover evolution of new Jordan/Sanderson Wheel of Time books. And let me tell ya, I'd love to have Tor's art department and Michael Whelan on my side!

I like self-publishing...done right, it's as valid a platform as any. But it is a really harsh environment for the millions of titles released to fend for themselves.

I don't know you. I don't know your art skills. But for the sake of your future earning power, I'd humbly beg you to undergo an honest, objective review of your art design background. If you can create covers that compare favorably to the best of the elegant indies and the Big Six, then go for it.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #127
MorganMarshall
I keep my head firmly in the clouds

MorganMarshall is well-respected
Why don't illustrators read the books they illustrate? Or at least read the descriptions of the characters they're reproducing? Obviously the book is interesting, or the publisher wouldn't be publishing it. So why are the cover illustrations so often totally off the mark from the actual story? *Tears hair out*

WIP:
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
MorganMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #128
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMarshall View Post
Why don't illustrators read the books they illustrate? Or at least read the descriptions of the characters they're reproducing? Obviously the book is interesting, or the publisher wouldn't be publishing it. So why are the cover illustrations so often totally off the mark from the actual story? *Tears hair out*
At the very least the designer ought to read the book.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #129
defyalllogic
i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)

defyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMarshall View Post
Because art is an interpretation of the artist's imagination and the seeds planted by the author. The author and the illustrator and the audience or readers might all see the character differently.

Maybe the author and illustrator agree but you're interpreting differently. Maybe the author sees the illustration and thinks, "hm, that's an interesting take. I'll take it."

Remember how the hunger games described Rue as a dark skinned girl and then people were shocked (and even appalled) to see her played by a (half) black girl in the movies?
defyalllogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #130
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've had input on *all* of my covers. I've made suggestions, filled out sheets and had to approve the final artwork.

However I'll admit that I tend to lean towards accepting what's suggested because this is what an art department is FOR, what they train and get degrees in, how to produce marketable artwork and something that'll appeal to the public.

Look at "Blaze". *points down* I would have NEVER thought of that for a cover image but it sure is a hell of a great picture. Same with the first "Blood of the Pride" cover which now works in with the series.

On my own I would have never picked up such great covers. I just don't have the expertise or knowledge to do that.

JMO.
Sheryl Nantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #131
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Why don't illustrators read the books they illustrate? Because at most levels of publishing, they don't have time. That's what art directors and cover art forms are for - so the writer and art director can meet somewhere in the middle.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #132
RedWombat
Runs With Scissors

RedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admiration
Because it varies substantially from house to house how much information the artist actually gets.

When I was doing bargain basement covers, I got very quick descriptions. I never got a manuscript to read. They wanted a very fast turnaround (which is why I had work--I was fast, reliable, and cheap. I just wasn't GOOD. You'd be amazed how much the first three made up for that last one at some places.)

Other houses I've heard of have elaborate forms to fill out that cover every base in terms of physical descriptions.

I wouldn't assume that the artist has actually read the book. Some do, but some don't get the chance and are working off descriptions from the art director.
RedWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #133
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ha! This thread resurfaces just after my book cover gets changed. It turned out to be a compliment, but the Barnes & Noble buyer liked the book, but not the cover, so they were back to the drawing board.

Still, when they showed me the new cover, they definitely wanted my input. If I had hated it (which I didn't, I really like it now that I've got my head around such a drastic change) they would have worked with me.

Same deal, different cover: they do care whether I'm pleased with the book in all aspects.
Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #134
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle_91 View Post
Can a writer have a say in what she wants the cover of her book to be? Can she say what she definatly doesn't want?

Example, I'm writing a historical romance and I don't want the cover of my story to have a couple embracing in a thin night-shift and breeches, while their hair billows in the wind.

Is that alright?
It entirely depends on the publisher. I had a lot of say in my Samhain Publishing cover which you can see in my avatar. I asked for a snow glob for sexy abs, for the heroine to be a redhead, for the three people in the menage to be depicted but (knowing there might not be much space in the snow globe i said heads and faces did not have to be shown. ) see how they put everything I asked for in and made it totally beautiful? Some publishers however will just tell you to like it or lump it. If you get offered a contract you can ask if you will have a say in cover art.
The other thing to consider though is that they may have a better idea than you do about what will actually sell your book.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote