How do you define the YA voice?

Axiomae

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has been done to death - I'm new here at AW and this is something on my mind.

I'm really curious as to how people define the YA voice. I've read that it is crucial in being published. I think I have my voice as an author, but I have serious self-doubts about it being YA-enough, if that makes sense.

I don't write in short snappy sentences. I'm not into sarcasm and I don't like characters being trite or quaint (but that's more my subject matter.)

So I guess, I'm just curious as how you describe the YA voice as an author. What do you aim for in your writing?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Never liked this concept. It's far too generalized and ends up confusing people.

Let me break this down, even if you understand this already:

What we think of as the author's "voice" is their style of writing. The vocab they know and would use often, they way they word what they say, the way they order it, the way they use it for a singular purpose, how it looks in the big picture, ect. Pretty much, your personal communication skills as a storyteller and writer.

Then there's the narrator's voice. And yes, it's a voice. The writer inputs a style onto the page, and the reader outputs that style as voice--because they hear it in their head. Now, I want to make clear that I don't mean the first person narrator. If you have narration, you have a narrator. First person is when the narrator references themselves in the story, third person (and second, sometimes) is when the narrator references other people. Most of the time, the third/second person narrator is a character--like the first person narrator might be--but they can also take on certain attributes of the POV characters they are covering.

Now, I'll take this into YA:

The majority of the books in YA are written in first person for a number of reasons, and I'll agree that the emphasis on the YA narrator's voice to be key. YA the primary genre that I know of that emphases one POV style over another (though, of course, third person isn't uncommon, nor ridiculed, just not as popular). With third person, IMHO you'd have to focus on the character narrator's specific voice or expand on the POV character's style of voice within the narration.

But that's the thing: The narrator's voice, the character narrator's voice, the POV character's voice. There is no "YA voice" that people should write, but your character's personal voice. How would that character, narrator, or POV would say it? Does it sound like a young adult would be speaking it? And not some 42 year old woman sipping her coffee and putting in her 1500 words for that day?

And that... yeah, defining the "young adult's voice" can be hard without falling into cliches and overused tropes. Their characteristics--which would define them as young adults--should be represented in both their actions and reactions in the story; and commentary and diction within the narrative. Those, in whatever which way, should give evidence that the narrator/character is a young adult who's in adolescence--and that, is up to the style you focus on and how the reader interpenetrates the voice.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read a lot of YA, so take this for what it's worth -- but it might be easier to focus on what a YA voice is not.

Sarcasm does not a teenager make. Or trite and quaint language, for that matter. Adding in a lot of swears and thoughts about sex doesn't make a teen boy's voice. And while teens in real life do use words like "hella", adding slang every other sentence doesn't work either.

Mainly voice is making sure your narrator doesn't sound like a grownup in teens clothing, if that makes sense.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Osulagh and Samsonet nailed it.

Writer's voice is expressed not just through description, sentence style, and vocabulary, but mainly through choices in organization. Is the story presented in chronological order, or are there various time strategies used? Is the story told mainly through prose, or are there some other methods used, i.e. fictional news articles, poetry, song lyrics, photographs, quotes at the beginning of chapters? A lot of the times authors' subject matter and characters change a lot but they'll do some of these things the same every time.

lucyfilmmaker

patron saint of wine coolers and awkwardness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucyfilmmaker.com
I've been wangsting over this hardcore the last few days, because my WIP is first person and I've convinced myself my word choices are all wrong. I don't want to dumb it down, but sometimes I want to use words that I think are beautiful that a teenager wouldn't generally use. It's such a struggle!

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wangsting over this hardcore the last few days, because my WIP is first person and I've convinced myself my word choices are all wrong. I don't want to dumb it down, but sometimes I want to use words that I think are beautiful that a teenager wouldn't generally use. It's such a struggle!
It doesn't have to be words "a teenager" would use as long as they're words your teenager would use. I've read some really poetic YA books (We Were Liars, Imaginary Girls, Fall for Anything) that use a lot of evocative, beautiful language.

Last edited:

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
For me, voice boils down to authenticity. Does this character sound genuine?

Axiomae

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Osulagh - that was a very helpful answer.

Perhaps then it's the POV character's voice that I'm struggling with - like i said, I'm quite comfortable with my own writing style.

This! I really feel I need to work on the way my main character expresses herself. I think her choices, actions, reflections and general personality are very teenage - she makes bad choices, is a bit angsty, has a lot of growth to do etc, I think I just really need to work on melding a way of narration with internalisation that is a little younger.

Thank you!

lemonhead

Life isn't all beer and skittles.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahnicolelemon.com
I don't think YA voice is something you work on. I think you have it or you don't and you write the greatest, most beautiful and honest way you can and let the voice fall were it may. After a few books you figure out exactly what your voice is suited for.

Axiomae

Registered
Reaction score
So I think I figured it out!

I think my problem is that I'm striving for a really Deep 3rd person but I'm just not there yet. I want the reader to be as close to my MC as possible without writing in first person yet I'm writing from a greater distance than I would want.

I have never read of Deep 3rd person before today - but that's it! That's the 'voice' I'm striving for and lacking, which I now realise isn't voice - it's POV.

Thanks for all the feedback :)

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
I have never read of Deep 3rd person before today - but that's it! That's the 'voice' I'm striving for and lacking, which I now realize isn't voice - it's POV.

Sounds like you nailed down the problem. POV isn't totally removed from voice but it's more the vehicle for your voice.

Axiomae

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you nailed down the problem. POV isn't totally removed from voice but it's more the vehicle for your voice.

Exactly Pixydust - I feel as if my MC is too far removed - I'm not sure she is really connecting with the reader at the moment. I need to get more into her head. I'm still figuring it out but I think I can create the right narrative distance - I like limited third but I think I need a 'close' limited third for my writing style to work.

I reworked a chapter today and I think I'm closer to what I'm aiming for. Hopefully I can continue - I know that this manuscript is going to need some serious revisions when the first draft is done! Amazing how much better you get the more you write though :)

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
I think POV is one of the toughest and most vital parts of the process in a project. You have so many things you're juggling: consistency, style, close/far. Not to mention the secondary characters you also have to shape through the eyes of the MC. So much. But so much fun too!! :D Feel free to PM a page or two where you feel lost. I can at least give you ideas of where it might be working and where it might not, for a reader.

Axiomae

Registered
Reaction score
Pixydust that is so kind of you! Will do that - would be lovely to have some feedback :)

Thank you!