Stun gun question

Logander

Registered
Reaction score
Note: I've searched the forum and found excellent info about tasers, but haven't come across similar details for stun guns. So apologies if I'm asking something that's been addressed before.

As I understand it, tasers leave marks on the body, which would be clearly visible in an autopsy. Is the same true of stun guns?

(I don't intend the stun gun to be the cause of death, but it's important to the plot.)

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
No. Some stun guns deliver an electrical shock zapping between two electrodes on the device. These electrodes need merely make contact with the recipient, but are not themselves "darts" as found in Tasers.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
No. Some stun guns deliver an electrical shock zapping between two electrodes on the device. These electrodes need merely make contact with the recipient, but are not themselves "darts" as found in Tasers.

Yeah, but the electricity arcing through the skin leaves a burn, not a puncture.

Logander

Registered
Reaction score

Hmmm...good points. Maybe I should rethink the character's choice of self-defense weapons.

Appreciate the feedback.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Is the person dying from the stun gun? Or is this an incident that occurred earlier and the person is dying from a subsequent, unrelated cause? The difference between the two is significant to your autopsy findings.

Any electrical injury requires an entry and an exit point. Frequently there will be damage to the skin at that point, although not necessarily visible on the exterior. These can range from just barely burns to serious burns. Internally, the electricity passing through organs can leave damage. Realize that even if the entry and exit wounds are next to each other, as in a stun gun, the electricity might travel a much longer course through the body.

Blood values are going to have significant changes from normal, and if death is from electrical shock, there can be damage to the cardiac muscle (heart).

It is possible to have a death from electrical shock, however, with no clear signs as to the cause of death.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I was thinking of stun guns as pictured here: http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/stun-guns-c=35

That lists "shooting stun guns" and Tasers among the stun guns. That the electrodes on some shoot out at the target , while others have fixed electrodes isn't a huge difference.

BTW, Drachen is right. An electric arc on one's skin is likely to leave some kind of a burn mark. How much of a mark depends on the power of the arc and the individual's skin.

Logander

Registered
Reaction score
Is the person dying from the stun gun? Or is this an incident that occurred earlier and the person is dying from a subsequent, unrelated cause? The difference between the two is significant to your autopsy findings....

No, the person isn't dying from the stun gun. In the current draft, I'd planned that the villain would use the stun gun at the start of the attack but then kill the victim with a rock. (The murder scene is along a hiking trail through very rough, rocky terrain). Villain uses the stun gun and then plants it in another person's possessions to implicate that other person.

I won't include a lot of explicit detail about the autopsy findings (not the sort of mystery I write) but just want to be sure I'm not going to commit a dreadful blunder if I mention the medical examiner finds burn marks and speculates a stun gun was used.

Thanks!

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
When I went through stun gun certification in 1993, we used the Nova XR5000 stun gun. It has a stubby U shaped end, with probes sticking forward from the top, and sideways across the bottom of the U arc. A test charge would arc across the bottom two probes.

policespecial.jpg

During our training, we each took about 30 hits. I had lots of welts that were gone a couple of days later. They were no more than 1/4 of an inch in diameter.

Keep in mind that the TASER can be used in what's called "drive stun," where you're just holding the device against the suspect's body, without actually firing the probes. Also, the newer TASERs when fired will eject hundreds of tiny markers with unique serial numbers that can be traced back to the original purchaser of that TASER cartridge.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Cause of death would be blunt force trauma with prior electrical shock. The electric shock would be a contributing cause of death in all probability.

Blood and heart would definitely show signs if the two events are within a minute or two of each other.

Electric burns would be described as consistent with a stun gun. They would be described in diameter and space between, which would enable police to ascertain whether a particular stun gun was consistent with the injury.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe