Would the FBI Get Involved Here?

pizza

Registered
Reaction score
My story takes place in modern (2013) Texas.

At the very beginning of the story, a preacher is murdered on a college campus by a former professor of Philosophy who worked there. My Main Character and his four friends witness the murder, but after an arrest was made, the murderer somehow never made it to the police station.

The main character finds a list of seventeen names in an abandoned church while they're investigating (they have sufficient clues to go there), two of which had already been murdered in the last two days.

MC's car and phone are stolen. Killer uses the phone to lure MC's ex-girlfriend and another friend to the park, where one is killed, but the other escapes.

After a police report is filed, they go back to the park to get the ex-girlfriend's truck back, and find the other friend, dead.

This makes three total murders.

Later the Main Character is abducted and taken (possibly across state lines, not sure yet) to a small building that acts as a jail cell.

The killer, and a couple dozen others, live together as a commune, but it's really more of a "sustainable community" where they grow their own food and live off the land.

There's much more to the story, but my question is this: Given that there are multiple murders, an abduction, and the possibility of more murders coming, surely the FBI would get involved at this point right?

The inspiration behind this story is the Waco Seige - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

I'm very much a novice at crime related story-writing. I've done some research already, but I would love someone who is more knowledgeable to give me any advice/guidance on this story.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
The local or state police can request FBI help anytime, and the FBI will usually give at least some help. Abductions will often get the FBI in on a n assumption that a state line was crossed.

pizza

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! My idea was that an FBI Agent comes by the community to ask some questions, but they won't let him have a look around without a warrant (I believe the FBI still needs one of these). After the FBI Agent leaves, the kidnapper decides he's going to kill the main character.

With the help of a pregnant lady who unlocks his cell and then fakes labor to draw attention away from him, he's going to make his escape.

I just need to do some more research to find out what the local/state police and FBI would do in a situation like this I guess. I've never written anything like this and am just now finding out 65k words in that I know next to nothing about police/FBI protocol. Ouch.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What you've described so far is a collection of violations of state law. Depending on where each happens, you may have overlapping jurisdictions (municipal, county, state). A smaller municipal department would have no problem seeking assistance/support from the county sheriff or the state. If you have serial or multiple murders it would not be unusual for the Texas Rangers to become involved.

Absent a clear violation of a federal law, the FBI would only offer assistance/support if invited. Even if there is a federal violation and the FBI gets formally involved it would be a mutually beneficial cooperative investigation (think ad hoc task force).

pizza

Registered
Reaction score
Very nice! The Texas Rangers definitely sounds more likely to me. I think I'm going to shift my research in that direction for a bit and see what I come up with. Thanks so much! Good point about there not being a federal law. The Waco people were supposedly stockpiling weapons... I think that's why the FBI got involved in that particular case

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Originally the Branch Davidian case in Waco, Texas was a BATF weapons violation investigation. The FBI didn't get involved until after BATF, with local LE support, attempted to execute arrest warrants and a search warrant. The Branch Davidians resisted; ten people were killed (six Branch Davidians and four federal agents) in the initial encounter. The FBI came in after that; assault and murder of a federal agent are both federal offences that fall within the FBI's specific investigative responsibility.

There are lots of sites with detailed analysis of this case; just search Waco Siege.

Last edited: