Looking for a career similar to forensic assistant

stardustx

Dreaming about fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a short story about a young man who is a bit socially awkward but intelligent, detail oriented and has an analytical mind. I'm struggling with finding a career for him that requires being methodical and thorough, detail oriented and analytical. I'm thinking of some kind of lab work or assistant. I like the idea of a forensics assistant, but the area of forensics is a bit too gruesome for me (since it can deal with violent crimes). So does anyone have any suggestions of a similar career?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
paralegal

accounting

engineer

medical research

research assistant

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Any kind of assistant/secretary to an important position. Could be a government official's assistant or a corporate VP/CEO assistant. Even theatre/film and similar artistic pursuits that involve large groups require a few people with exceptional organizational skills (especially important there, given the flighty tendencies of artists).

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Writing or processing/analysis of marketing surveys.

So sitting there with completed surveys and entering them in a spreadsheet and doing the analysis that shows 8 out of 10 cats whose owners expressed a preference etc

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Analytical chemist, Archaeological scientist

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
What about a dendro-chronologist – if I have spelt that correctly – someone who measures tree rings for archaeological purposes. I always thought that was a cool gig.

Tidy

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
What about a dendro-chronologist – if I have spelt that correctly – someone who measures tree rings for archaeological purposes. I always thought that was a cool gig.

Tidy

That's a field that I've been trying to break into. Unfortunately, there aren't many positions.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
That's a field that I've been trying to break into. Unfortunately, there aren't many positions.

Yeah, I can imagine.

I think I have another one, in a similar vein in forensics – facial reconstruction of skeleton remains, which I suspect would be an equally niche sort of field.

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
There are all sorts of careers that lend themselves to that sort of personality. Anything clerical, really, for starters. Spatial awareness would lend itself to dealing with drawings. If it's combined with inventiveness, engineering would work (and if combined with good spannerwork, something like aircraft maintenance would work too, the paperwork in that job is insane). If it's combined with dexterity, watchmaking or if it's heavier on the analytical, accounting.

Really, though, anything clerical, from an import/export clerk to a bank teller to a lab assistant, is perfectly rational - right the way up to a chemist working on production lines for drugs. That stuff also requires everything you've set out up there.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
My son is a watchmaker. He also repairs them. He works with watches that cost anywhere from a few thousand to half a million dollars. People who collect high-end watches are rich and very driven -- and sometimes obsessive about things. I've always thought a story about a watchmaker or the types of clients one serves would be a nice break from a medical examiner/etc.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
You're right, it would. Having links from the watches to the owners, how the watch came to need attention, when they bought it and where and so on could be fascinating.

Incidentally - have you watched Longitude? That is basically about watchmaking in connection with navigation.

stardustx

Dreaming about fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thank you to everyone for all of the suggestions! I'm writing this short story as an assignment for my W401 Advanced Fiction Writing class... So I will choose one and start working on it tonight. Thanks again.

I like the idea of watches....it actually works because my character wears a watch given to him by his parents (or his mother, who passed away). So that was an interesting suggestion to receive.