• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Aspen Mountain Press

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! I hate hearing that about any publisher. I do have books with them and haven't experienced the same problems. However, I write for their Aurora Regency imprint and so only deal with the editors for that line.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Wow, I hope this isn't going to be another publisher implosion. Like I said I know authors with them and none of them have said anything negative about Aspen Mountain. In fact they were recently recommended to me as a good publisher to try by one of my friends who's with them.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I hope this isn't going to be another publisher implosion. Like I said I know authors with them and none of them have said anything negative about Aspen Mountain. In fact they were recently recommended to me as a good publisher to try by one of my friends who's with them.

It took me by surprise too. I've enjoyed some Aspen Mountain books. I've always considered them to be a small but totally legit and respectable epress so who knows. I hope it's just a small hiccup.

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
It didn't necessarily surprise me, but I certainly hope it's just a temporary hiccup and not an indicator that this house is CTD.

Seriously. I mean they have a huge number of books under contract and if they go belly up that means a lot of orphaned titles/series which I would hate to see having been there myself.

Erastes

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I have to be honest that I've had no real problems with AMP, I've had to email twice to get an answer, but I got a swift reply to my second mail. It's the sales that have been depressing, and why I'll be pulling my one novella with them when the rights expire in January 2011 and offering it to Carina or perhaps making it into a novel. It was my first experience with ebook only, and makes me wonder whether historical readers prefer print or something.

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
AP offered me a contract a few months ago but in the email cited someone else's title. My title appeared in the contract, but the clause stipulating "manuscript delivery date" was for a date that had already passed. I got the impression they use a boilerplate contract but forgot to change the specific details. I sent an email noting the problem. They apologized for the mistake and said they would send another contract back out. After waiting three weeks, I began to feel uneasy working with them, wondering if maybe I would encounter bigger problems down the line. I subsequently withdrew the manuscript.

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
I have to be honest that I've had no real problems with AMP, I've had to email twice to get an answer, but I got a swift reply to my second mail. It's the sales that have been depressing, and why I'll be pulling my one novella with them when the rights expire in January 2011 and offering it to Carina or perhaps making it into a novel. It was my first experience with ebook only, and makes me wonder whether historical readers prefer print or something.

I knew you were with them--we've discussed Aspen Mountain before--and not happy with the sales. I think you might be right about readers of historic m/m preferring print.

That being said, I'm wondering what's going on at Aspen Mountain. All the reports I've heard from the other authors who are with them were good, but they seem to be starting the long swirl down the toilet, which is going to be a terrible shame should that happen.

(As an aside, they are the publisher running 1 Romance eBooks. Which makes me wonder if there's a connection between the boondoggles at Aspen and the ebook distribution site. Could they be overextended? I know 1 Romance eBooks changed their name after they were sued by All Romance eBooks, but can't remember what they changed their name to, and there is no redirect from the old URL.)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I knew you were with them--we've discussed Aspen Mountain before--and not happy with the sales. I think you might be right about readers of historic m/m preferring print.

That being said, I'm wondering what's going on at Aspen Mountain. All the reports I've heard from the other authors who are with them were good, but they seem to be starting the long swirl down the toilet, which is going to be a terrible shame should that happen.

(As an aside, they are the publisher running 1 Romance eBooks. Which makes me wonder if there's a connection between the boondoggles at Aspen and the ebook distribution site. Could they be overextended? I know 1 Romance eBooks changed their name after they were sued by All Romance eBooks, but can't remember what they changed their name to, and there is no redirect from the old URL.)
http://1placeforromance.com/ :)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Aspen Mountain Press was not running 1 Romance ebooks. That's inaccurate. Aspen Mountain Press is owned and operated by Sandra Hicks. 1 Romance Ebooks was operated by Sandra's ex-husband. That is the only connection between the two.

michael_b

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Aspen Mountain Press was not running 1 Romance ebooks. That's inaccurate. Aspen Mountain Press is owned and operated by Sandra Hicks. 1 Romance Ebooks was operated by Sandra's ex-husband. That is the only connection between the two.

Blog posts that were made at Aspen Mountain over the summer sort of blurred the lines. Also, the guy running 1 Place for Romance--formerly 1 Romance eBooks--used the connection to encourage us at Shadowfire Press to trust them--1 Place--with distribution. Their claim was that they were a stable and trustworthy company because Aspen Mountain had a good reputation. So if my perceptions don't match yours, I'd say it's understandable.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Blog posts that were made at Aspen Mountain over the summer sort of blurred the lines. Also, the guy running 1 Place for Romance--formerly 1 Romance eBooks--used the connection to encourage us at Shadowfire Press to trust them--1 Place--with distribution. Their claim was that they were a stable and trustworthy company because Aspen Mountain had a good reputation. So if my perceptions don't match yours, I'd say it's understandable.

I've worked with AMP as a freelance editor. My "perceptions" come straight from the editor-in-chief. The guy running 1 Place for Romance, formerly 1 Romance eBooks, is the ex-husband.

So, separate but not entirely unassociated. As I recall Sandra was named in the suit by oneromancebooks, but they could well have been in error in naming her.

It was in error and, as I understand it, largely due to the the (former) marital relationship between the two.

Nya RAyne

On the verge of greatness
Registered
Reaction score
In a house on a corner, next to this old lady and
I don’t necessarily mean to sound disgruntle, but I signed with AMP at the end of July, 2010. After the initial chit-chat dealing with contract negotiations were over, I heard nothing from them until the first week of November. In-between July and November I did attempt to contact the company via email to request a status update on my ms, i.e, release date, but my emails went unanswered.

Anyway, the email I received in November introduced me to my editor. Finally, work was going to be done on my ms! Yay!!

“Not!!”

A week later I received an email from the editor-in-chief letting me know that my editor quit without notice, thereby pushing my ms to the bottom of the pile on another editor’s desk. I have since heard nothing from anyone at the company.

As a new author, I have to admit I find this experience disheartening and the silence rather loud. It wouldn’t be so bad if I were being kept in the loop. I have no clue where I stand with this company or what I should be expecting. Am I asking too much to know where I stand? Is the wait time between contract acceptance and editing usually longer than my 6 months wait time?

Blah!! I just wanted to share!! Hopefully I’m not shooting myself in the foot by posting this.

And yes, I did research them before accepting their offer.

Adobedragon

Registered
Reaction score
As a new author, I have to admit I find this experience disheartening and the silence rather loud. It wouldn’t be so bad if I were being kept in the loop. I have no clue where I stand with this company or what I should be expecting. Am I asking too much to know where I stand? Is the wait time between contract acceptance and editing usually longer than my 6 months wait time?.

As a new author myself, I don't have a lot of experience to draw on. My current publisher started the editing process about a month after the contract was signed (September), and we've had several back-and-forth iterations since. I've been given regular status updates.

What I'd find most worrying would the the lack of response to inquiries and general sense of disorder that you've encountered. Previously, I dealt with a publisher who exhibited the same pattern...and soon after went out of business.

I really hope this isn't the case with Aspen, for your sake and all those with the company.

Nya RAyne

Registered
Reaction score
As a new author myself, I don't have a lot of experience to draw on. My current publisher started the editing process about a month after the contract was signed (September), and we've had several back-and-forth iterations since. I've been given regular status updates.

What I'd find most worrying would the the lack of response to inquiries and general sense of disorder that you've encountered. Previously, I dealt with a publisher who exhibited the same pattern...and soon after went out of business.

I really hope this isn't the case with Aspen, for your sake and all those with the company.

I really hope it doesn't come to that, but then that would be my sucky luck!!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Have you emailed the EIC again?

I'd send her an email. CC the Publisher. Tell them the date you signed the contract and that you would like to know what the status of your ms is. Tell them the delay is interfering with your ability to effectively promote the work.

Check your contract; is there a date by which the book has to be published?

Or of course...contact them and ask for your rights back, since they obviously don't plan to use them, and you shouldn't be sitting on your thumbs for months waiting.

Nya RAyne

Registered
Reaction score
Have you emailed the EIC again?

I'd send her an email. CC the Publisher. Tell them the date you signed the contract and that you would like to know what the status of your ms is. Tell them the delay is interfering with your ability to effectively promote the work.

Check your contract; is there a date by which the book has to be published?

Or of course...contact them and ask for your rights back, since they obviously don't plan to use them, and you shouldn't be sitting on your thumbs for months waiting.

Thanks so much for the advice, Stacia. I'll definitely email the EIC again, but how do I find out who the publisher is? Or is that a stupid question? It was my belief that they were one and the same.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Thanks so much for the advice, Stacia. I'll definitely email the EIC again, but how do I find out who the publisher is? Or is that a stupid question? It was my belief that they were one and the same.

The Publisher and EIC are usually different people. :) The name(s) should be on your contract, or available in the author loop as some sort of staff list or something. Most epublishers seem to have those.