NFL 2014 season

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Are all the games on this weekend? I've just read that they need to move the Buffalo @ Jets game.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I was so hoping they'd move it down here - last time this happened, I believe the tickets were free at the new site. Alas... Detroit on Monday night.

I'm hoping Sunday Ticket still carries it. :(

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Washington Indigenous Persons/49ers game was ugly, ugly, ugly, but what was the most ugly is how RGIII has regressed as a quarterback. That guy looks gunshy and why the coach left a rookie left tackle on his blind side was just plain mean. RGIII was getting pounded like a nail.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
And the Ravens lose a close one. Fuck. There is no excuse for losing at home after scoring 33 points. The Ravens defense just can't match up against good quarterbacks this season. It is in large part due to injuries (shut down corner Jimmy Smith and the kinda good back up Asa Jackson going down). They could have handled injuries to the linebacking core, to the D-Line, to the O-line but not to the cornerbacks. When Jimmy Smith went down, he took the Ravens season with him. It really doesn't help that the Ravens' DC is overly cautious as well and it's been easy for quarterbacks to read the Ravens' defense.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seahawks: 17 49ers: 7 - That's all folks.

The San Francisco 49ers still have two games remaining in the season. Not that it matters.

It's possible, but unlikely Jim Harbaugh is back for another year as head coach. That's a shame because though he's a major pain in the ass sometimes, he's a damn good football coach. It's the offensive coordinator, Greg Roman, who needs to be thrown over the Golden Gate Bridge.

What a dreary, disappointing end to a dreary, disappointing season. :(

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I guess it depends on your perspective, nighttimer. ;)

In all honesty, I found myself feeling sorry for both Harbaugh and Kaep yesterday. I know it's the nature of sports in this day and age, but BOY has the bay area media turned on Harbaugh. Relentless. How quickly it's forgotten that for 3 years he was a coaching marvel (if slightly unhinged). I don't know what he's supposed to do with a team ravaged by injury and, frankly, too many players left to age a bit too long. I felt sick for Frank Gore yesterday, as well as many of the players who've been such great competitors. As Pete Carroll said after the game, the rivalry between SF and Seattle only made the Seahawks better and I'll miss it if it goes by the wayside.

I hope Baalke and Jed York don't screw their toy up beyond fixing.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I want to ask Trestman one question:

Why now?

Why didn't you bench Cutler 4 weeks ago if that was the right thing to do? Doing it now make you look weak and indecisive.

Trestman gone for next year. Has to be.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The Ravens are all but knocked out of the playoffs now and to be honest, they don't deserve a playoff spot this season. I think the Ravens secondary, their biggest weakness, will be alright next season when they don't have like six guys out with injuries. However, their second biggest weak spot, the receiving core, needs a major overhaul. Campanaro, a rookie who showed a bit of promise, can be kept and so can Steve Smith Sr. assuming he isn't expected to be a workhorse again.

But the Ravens need reliable outside receivers for Flacco to throw to. I'm not asking for an AJ Green-esque stud who dominates. I'd just like guys who can run good routes and have strong hands. It's sad when you see Flacco buy a lot of time but still not be able to find anyone to throw to.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Ravens are all but knocked out of the playoffs now and to be honest, they don't deserve a playoff spot this season. I think the Ravens secondary, their biggest weakness, will be alright next season when they don't have like six guys out with injuries. However, their second biggest weak spot, the receiving core, needs a major overhaul. Campanaro, a rookie who showed a bit of promise, can be kept and so can Steve Smith Sr. assuming he isn't expected to be a workhorse again.

But the Ravens need reliable outside receivers for Flacco to throw to. I'm not asking for an AJ Green-esque stud who dominates. I'd just like guys who can run good routes and have strong hands. It's sad when you see Flacco buy a lot of time but still not be able to find anyone to throw to.

I really don't consider Joe Flacco a top-tier QB. He cashed in after the Super Bowl victory, but really which one is the real Flacco? The stud who threw for 485 yards and five TD's against Tampa Bay or the stiff that was getting outplayed by super-scrub Case Keenum last week?

Put it this way: in a fantasy football draft you take Flacco as a bye-week backup, not as your lead dog.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't consider Joe Flacco a top-tier QB. He cashed in after the Super Bowl victory, but really which one is the real Flacco? The stud who threw for 485 yards and five TD's against Tampa Bay or the stiff that was getting outplayed by super-scrub Case Keenum last week?

Put it this way: in a fantasy football draft you take Flacco as a bye-week backup, not as your lead dog.
i consider Flacco to be one of the better qbs, but not in the sense of being a fantasy quarterback. He's rarely rattled and he's one of the more clutch quarterbacks you'll find in big games. He actually reminds me a lot of Eli in that regard. He's not a high stats guy, but there's a reason he's won more games over the last seven years than damn near any quarterback in the league.

I wouldn't put Flacco among the true best of the best qbs in the league, but I'd say he's in the tier right after them, alongside Big Ben and Eli Manning.

Also, to be fair, most of those high stats quarterbacks usually have an elite target to throw to. Tom Brady has Gronk, Peyton has Julius Thomas, Romo has Dez Bryant, even Eli has someone like that now with Odell Beckham. This season, Flacco had a 35yr old Steve Smith who got worn down during the season and a past his prime Owen Daniels.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I want to ask Trestman one question:

Why now?

Why didn't you bench Cutler 4 weeks ago if that was the right thing to do? Doing it now make you look weak and indecisive.

Trestman gone for next year. Has to be.

Trestman's the problem. The problem lies in the offices, not on the field.

I say give Trestman one more year. But if two different coaches deliver nearly the same mediocre results, that comes from the front office.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Trestman's gone. Hurrah!

Now we just need Cutler gone so the cap goes down and we can restock the D.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I just hope for the Bears' sake they don't just go get one of the bums that also got fired. Of the fired coaches, I'd only say Jim Harbaugh is worth picking up.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
So... Orton retired a couple days ago.

Someone on a Bills forum likened the feeling to your SO breaking up with you as you were trying to decide how to break up with them.

Apt. Seemed like a good guy and Buffalo will miss him. But man, he was not a terribly good QB.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm liking the look of Tyrel Austin, the Lion's DC. I reckon he's worth a punt as the Bear's coach.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
So... Orton retired a couple days ago.

Someone on a Bills forum likened the feeling to your SO breaking up with you as you were trying to decide how to break up with them.

Apt. Seemed like a good guy and Buffalo will miss him. But man, he was not a terribly good QB.
Orton is just the picture of mediocrity when it comes to quarterbacks. He was good to have around as a backup, someone that would keep the offense from imploding if the franchise quarterback got hurt, or even a short term starter when a team is looking for a quarterback. But he should never be the true starter for a team.

Odd side note about him though, for one reason or another he had Green Bay's number. A career record of 5-2 against them.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Predictions for the first round of the playoffs:

Ravens beat the Steelers: Yes I'm a bit bias, but with Bell hurt that really slows down the Steelers' offense.

Lions over the Cowboys: I think the Lions manage to win in a shoot out.

Panthers beat the Cardinals: Simply because the Panthers have a chance to score more than 3 points, which is enough to beat the Cards ever since Palmer got hurt.

Colts beat the Bengals: I'm not going to trust Dalton to win a playoff game, especially a road playoff game, until I see him do it.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Flacco now has 13 tds and 0 ints in his last five playoff games, and won his 7th road playoff win. Hell yeah.

Also, so far, I'm two for two.