Playing Fast and Loose With History?

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
I think someone upthread mentioned versimilitude rather than veracity, and there is a lot of truth in this.

I think everyone here agrees on the broad points, and the difference is a matter of degree. If we, as novelists, were just to stick to the recorded facts, we would have a dull piece of narrative non-fiction. To bring it alive, we must make guesses. Depending on our level of research that we do (and that we can do), those guesses will either be educated or wild stabs in the dark. But there is still no way we could stand behind them as fact. What we can say is that it is something the character might have said/done given all that we know.

For example, the ending of my novel centres on the two greatest figures in South American history, Simón Bolívar and José de San Martín, when they met to discuss the conclusion of the independence struggle. It was the first time they had met, they spoke alone, and no historical record was made of their meeting, where San Martín resigned to become an anonymous farmer, leaving Bolívar the glory of finishing the Spanish. For two hundred years, San Martín's motives for stepping aside have remained a mystery. I attempt to imagine that conversation, and San Martín's reasons for stepping aside.

The story of what happened at that meeting is an extremely contentious question, in South America at least. All of the available research is very partisan. Argentine historians contend that Bolivar was a vainglorious bully, willing to threaten the entire independence movement, unless San Martin was removed from the picture, and he could be top dog. Venezuelan historians argue that San Martin was a paper tiger, an opium-addled lily-livered closet monarchist who was tired, spent as a political force, and just waiting to hand everything over to a real man. Nobody knows for sure, as there were no witnesses to the meeting, and neither of them spoke much about it afterwards. It’s fascinating to me – the most momentous moment in South American history, and there are no witnesses, no record.

I suspected at the start that the truth may lie somewhere in the middle. I have read numerous books and articles on the subject, but, as a novelist, I had to take a stand. I decided to rely almost exclusively on the comments of the men themselves, most particularly on a letter San Martin wrote to Bolivar after the meeting, complaining about the stories Bolivar was spreading.

I think it was Hilary Mantel who said that the historical record is always imperfect and that a novelist’s real job lies in these cracks. There is no way I could say that what I wrote is what happened with any surety. It's what I think happened, based on evidence. I have a long conversation between the two men at the end of the novel, only parts of which are things I know they said to each other. The rest is the kind of things I think they would have said to each other, given the situation, and their respective personalities, such as we know.

Dave

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with 'filling in the cracks.' What annoys me is dramatising the already dramatic. It just makes me cringe.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Which all goes to show that no one knows what everyone knows - because I heard an 'expert' on the radio say that while robins in England are pretty tame (which I know from experience that they are), robins on mainland Europe aren't (which I have to take his word on).

No one gets everything right.

In Scotland too. :D

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
I agree with 'filling in the cracks.' What annoys me is dramatising the already dramatic. It just makes me cringe.

I agree, and also agreed with your points before.

But just to stir the pot a little: history is often the story of the victor. You only have to look at modern politics to see how often certain powerful groups will attempt to rewrite the past. Now, they often get called out by journalists, and increasingly, the citizenry, thanks to the huge amount of events, court decisions, and public utterances that are permanently recorded nowadays. But in the past, the record-keeper was rarely independent, and often in the pay of those in power. What we consider "historical fact" may only be one version of events, told a certain way, to reflect better on a certain group.

None of this should suggest that we should distort the historical record for the hell of it, but if we have genuine reasons for challenging accepted truth, that can make for a very interesting story. I think Wolf Hall is an excellent example of this, even if I am not completely sold on that present-tense thingy.

Dave

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Just my two cents worth.

On misinterpretation of history. It's not just a case of American schools centering on American history, or Brits being ignorant of US history, it's also down to perception throughout history.

I'll drag out my favorite bugbear on how Vikings have been perceived throughout history. Earlier this week there was a special edition of 'Time Team' on British TV, which highlighted recent archaeological discoveries including a very prosperous corner of Jorvik (York) where the Vikings had shops, workshops and warehouses, not the sort of thing you'd expect from people who allegedly spent their time plundering monasteries, pillaging, running amok with horned helmets and carrying off virgins. It's only in recent years that archaeologists have determined that, for the most part, Vikings settled peaceably in various parts of the UK.

This is what I'm working on now! Or more precisely, because raids certainly did occur, a transition from raiding to settling. *stalks Firedrake as beta material*

I concur.

None of this should suggest that we should distort the historical record for the hell of it, but if we have genuine reasons for challenging accepted truth, that can make for a very interesting story.
That too.

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is what I'm working on now! Or more precisely, because raids certainly did occur, a transition from raiding to settling. *stalks Firedrake as beta material*

:D

Glad to oblige

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But just to stir the pot a little: history is often the story of the victor. You only have to look at modern politics to see how often certain powerful groups will attempt to rewrite the past.
Dave

That was a problem I encountered with my long-suffering WIP. It's centered around the Three Magi of Christian fame but the Christian part of it is maybe a couple of sentences at the end of the book. Trying to find references other than biblical interpretations was difficult. Very much worth the effort, but difficult.

Taran

Registered
Reaction score
Website
onelastsketch.wordpress.com
But just to stir the pot a little: history is often the story of the victor. You only have to look at modern politics to see how often certain powerful groups will attempt to rewrite the past. Now, they often get called out by journalists, and increasingly, the citizenry, thanks to the huge amount of events, court decisions, and public utterances that are permanently recorded nowadays. But in the past, the record-keeper was rarely independent, and often in the pay of those in power. What we consider "historical fact" may only be one version of events, told a certain way, to reflect better on a certain group.

Which opens up a whole can of worms concerning present historical theory. Suffice to say, most "popular history" out there is rubbish, while the history done by historians is fairly inaccessible without the proper training. Most people aren't aquainted with Hayden White and Foucault, and some of the more conservative institutions in the field would rather not be. But the idea of the "historical fact" got abandoned a long time ago in the profession by those willing to care.

Still, that doesn't mean I don't get annoyed when I spot a glaring anachronism or complete disregard for historical context (the latter happens far too often in historical fiction, so much so I have difficulty reading most of it. Frans Gunnar Bengsstton's The Long Ships is well worth reading to show how, imo, it should be done)

alex_falstone

Registered
Reaction score
Dorothy Dunnett, who is wonderful at creating versimilitude in her HF, makes me howl with laughter every time she mentions something to do with Canada in her thrillers, she gets it all so wrong. But that's okay --- she didn't need to convince Canadians in order to get them published.

Her depiction of sixteenth century Russia in the Lymond Chronicles was pointed to me by a fan of hers early on in my own researches (my in progress is set in Russia 1563 - 1606). When I felt I had sufficient grasp of the times, characters and setting not to be over-influenced by another writer of fiction, I went and read. In fairness, when Dunnett wrote her account of Ivan the Terrible's court, there was far more limited primary source and decent quality scholarship out there. That's the end of my fairness, though, there are episodes (Ivan's Tsaritsa, Anastasia, making a courtesy call for tea or wine and nibbles on Lymond's Turkish mistress made me lol) which are just plain silly. I also found I could pretty much get every single source she was referring to for every detail.

That being said, people who read the Lymond series didn't pick it up wanting a warts and all depiction of Ivan's Russia in the 1550s. They want swash and buckle in an exotic setting and those sort of sagas are as much historical travelogue as anything. The purpose of the story is equally important.

While absolutely NOT being here to tell anyone what they ought to be writing (except to stress that ultimately, you the writer should be writing the book that you'd snatch off a bookshelf if you discovered it and nothing else counts) - because it needs to be about fun and passion and pleasure (the writer's), my personal thing is to want to tell a tale that makes real characters come alive. I also strive to get the texture of the times - without descending into Monty Python/Jabberwocky mediaeval squalor. Yup, I know my characters were all probably a bit fragrant at times, but won't harp on about it, though I might mention if a character is excessively ponky so that his (fragrant) 16th century associates notice it.

What I believe needs to be avoided is either excessive whitewashing of dodgy characters (I've struggled for ages with this - my main boys were mad bad and dangerous to know, and it's tempting to just lapse into the sexy bad boy trope) and equally 2-D vilification of others. If two sources confirm that X did something pretty awful, then you need to either deal with it, or provide reasons that exonerate in part, rather than decide to ignore it altogether.

Executive summary: research and more research, until you can make a value judgement. Then you can fill in the gaps with some potential authority. Read the primary sources then seek out the better scholars (particularly read both sides of any controversy). I loved Wolf Hall because it felt utterly plausible had wonderful period texture and I'd always rather disliked Thomas Cromwell before I read it and came to like him very much after reading. Her research really shows.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread because I find myself in a dilemma. I was doing some reading into Emperor Hadrian when I found an interesting quote:

Hadrian, famous for his long and extensive travels throughout the empire that helped to consolidate his own power and exhibit the strength of the Emperor, realized that he needed a reliable representative in Rome, so he could continue his extended travels in the Empire. Therefore, in 125, Hadrian elevated Turbo to the position of Praefectus Praetorio, or Praetorian Prefect, the leader of the Praetorian Guard. He held this title until 134. It is at this point that Turbo seems to disappear and no more records are found about him. It seems possible that Turbo, along with many others, fell out of favor with Hadrian later in his reign. However, it is also possible that Turbo died from natural causes, because there is no evidence of foul play.

So my imagination starts thinking, 'what if Hadrian had ordered one of his praetorians to murder their leader?' it seems like a good idea for an historical thriller. But then the purist in me, says 'there's no evidence.'

Hmmm. I re-read the thread very interesting. I think my stance has actually changed. I also have read Robyn Young's book, and quite enjoyed it. She made it work. ;)

Mick Taylor, he of Time Team fame, calls the Romans "savages with good plumbing". Yet for some reason, we're all a bit proud of Roman achievements. Nobody calls them Colonists, Imperialists or whatever.

Kevin MacDonald did. :)

But then again, colonialism/imperialism was a sign of honour and glory in the ancient world, so I'm quite surprised at that comment. A historian should know better than to judge the classical world by 21st century values.

Don't think I would use the word 'savages' either. The army was a brutal, killing machine. But the genius of the Roman world was the export of ideas, not imperialism. I don't find Roman culture any more savage than the Anglo-saxons, Vikings or Normans.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
But...

that is fiction, gothicangel!

There is a gap, no records, no one knows for sure, so you can fill it in yourself.

That's the fun of writing historical fiction, the sort where you don't lean heavily on real, well known people. When you find interesting holes and spaces your imagination can fill 'em.

Would it be totally unimaginable for the guards to kill a leader, especially at Hadrian's behest? Was he that sort of emperor? If he wasn't then it could be an internal power struggle.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
that is fiction, gothicangel!

There is a gap, no records, no one knows for sure, so you can fill it in yourself.

That's the fun of writing historical fiction, the sort where you don't lean heavily on real, well known people. When you find interesting holes and spaces your imagination can fill 'em.

Would it be totally unimaginable for the guards to kill a leader, especially at Hadrian's behest? Was he that sort of emperor? If he wasn't then it could be an internal power struggle.

That's an interesting idea. :)

I certainly need to dig out some good biographies on Hadrian. It's certain that he was growing paranoid and suspicious of close friends at this point [4 years before is death.]

Big thanks for the reassurance. I really do love the idea. :)

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I agree - put whatever seems entertaining in the gaps! If it doesn't disrupt the fabric of history and seems remotely credible, go for it.

I'm thinking about CJ Sansom's Sovereign - he says in an author's note that there was a rumour regarding a crucial plot point (I won't say what so I don't spoil it for those who haven't read it) but that he personally doesn't believe in it. He still used it since it made for a good story. It MIGHT have happened.

Me, I'm much further out on the limb than you but I'm writing a historical adventure and I don't take more license than is traditional in that genre. Nothing in it is un-historical per se, I'm just adding a little more adventure to the world.

W.J. Cherf

VP, Egyptian Studies Society
Registered
Reaction score
The historical and archaeological record

One's latitude when filling in the gaps is dependent upon your grasp of the historical and archaeological sources themselves. Believe it or not, academic historians and archaeologists often "play" with these gaps and their level of certainty when arguing their "solution" is inversely proportional to the length of their footnotes. A fine example of this is the historical "reconstruction" of the Battle at Thermopylae in 480 BC. The heated vitriol that has been expended on this event is very instructive. And no, the movie "500" is not in any way an accurate portrayal of this battle.

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Thought I would come back to this thread as I am finishing up reading the last book in Robyn Young's trilogy. I've come to the conclusion that she writes good beach reads, but the history is a bit dubious (Alexander Seton, one of Bruce's loyalist supporters becomes an exiled traitor, his cousin Christopher was killed in a siege of a highland castle, instead Young has him executed by the English in Berwick.) My favourite rewriting however is that Piers Gaveston is at Perth Castle, when he is abducted and murdered (when in fact he was arrested in Yorkshire, given a show trial, and executed.) I don't know what is worse, Robyn Young's version or Randall Wallace having him thrown from a window by Edward I.

Let's just say I won't be reading any Robyn Young again.

Anyway, I think I've learnt where my threshold lies. What I want to ask, how far do you go before abandoning a book?

A fine example of this is the historical "reconstruction" of the Battle at Thermopylae in 480 BC. The heated vitriol that has been expended on this event is very instructive. And no, the movie "500" is not in any way an accurate portrayal of this battle.

Interestingly, I've just been reading about Classical Reception and this very movie for my degree course. :)

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I wouldn't abandon a book because they were messing with history, because I've recently discovered I can learn a lot about storytelling from what people decide to change and figuring out why they've done it. I think I've always been like that about reading crap - if something about the book is really bad, what are its corresponding strengths that have made it good enough to at least convince someone to publish it?
In terms of my understanding of history, I think I can still get a lot out of books that get certain things wrong - if a writer did a completely implausible version of one character they might still offer a potentially useful insight into another.
It might make me cross, though....

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I can tolerate a certain among of messing with history if the author is up front (by way of a note to the reader) about it. I recently read a popular, award-winning novel in which the author totally invented (and named) a very specific type of social arrangement in the period. (I'm being intentionally vague here on purpose!) No historical note, no nothing, to indicate that this author totally made this up. It's being quoted in book reviews as historical fact now. And that kind of irritates me. Or maybe I'm just a miserable pedantic jerk?

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Thought I would come back to this thread as I am finishing up reading the last book in Robyn Young's trilogy. I've come to the conclusion that she writes good beach reads, but the history is a bit dubious (Alexander Seton, one of Bruce's loyalist supporters becomes an exiled traitor, his cousin Christopher was killed in a siege of a highland castle, instead Young has him executed by the English in Berwick.) My favourite rewriting however is that Piers Gaveston is at Perth Castle, when he is abducted and murdered (when in fact he was arrested in Yorkshire, given a show trial, and executed.) I don't know what is worse, Robyn Young's version or Randall Wallace having him thrown from a window by Edward I.

Let's just say I won't be reading any Robyn Young again.

Anyway, I think I've learnt where my threshold lies. What I want to ask, how far do you go before abandoning a book?

I don't think I have a fixed line for what I can tolerate. If it's a fictional story featuring fictional characters where historical events unfold in the background, I'm much more tolerant about a few details being shifted than if it's a story trying to tell the story of the very event or characters being "adjusted". Also, I am quite irrationally attached to certain characters and events and cannot abide a writer taking any sort of liberty with them. If the said adjustments also reflect certain misconceptions or stereotypes that I particularly dislike, I can toss a book as inaccurate even though all the details of events are almost perfectly correct.

What you describe above is definitely beyond what I could enjoy in a book, anyway. But at the same time, I'm currently inserting characters and places of my own invention into 17th century England for my story so I do feel a bit inconsistent now. In my defence though, I'm not changing anything major about real people except inserting a few extra branches on a few family trees in order to create some characters I'm free to play with as I want, that are still organic to their historical environment. That's probably going further than some people think is acceptable, but I'm writing adventure-mysteries in a historical setting, not retelling historical events, and I need some characters (and places) I can shuffle around and slander at will. :D Oh, and I invent things about a few people about who too little is known (like Wadsworth and his buddy Tom Gorstlow), but they are not major historical characters.

I'd happily explain exactly who and what I've made up in a writer's note, though. In fact, what's the fun of making stuff up if you can't take credit for it? ;)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
What you describe above is definitely beyond what I could enjoy in a book, anyway. But at the same time, I'm currently inserting characters and places of my own invention into 17th century England for my story so I do feel a bit inconsistent now. In my defence though, I'm not changing anything major about real people except inserting a few extra branches on a few family trees in order to create some characters I'm free to play with as I want, that are still organic to their historical environment. That's probably going further than some people think is acceptable, but I'm writing adventure-mysteries in a historical setting, not retelling historical events, and I need some characters (and places) I can shuffle around and slander at will. :D Oh, and I invent things about a few people about who too little is known (like Wadsworth and his buddy Tom Gorstlow), but they are not major historical characters.

I'd happily explain exactly who and what I've made up in a writer's note, though. In fact, what's the fun of making stuff up if you can't take credit for it? ;)

And I agree with you.

My personal preference when writing is to have an MC who is fictional who weaves between historical figures (but I try my best to get the history correct.)

I've been talking about the book to my sister (she a historian of the Scottish Church, and a Bruce enthusiast), and I come to the decision one day, I'll have to write my own version, but I'll tell it from the Church's perspective (they were after all the prime mover in the Scottish Wars of Independence.) ;)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I do feel sorry for Robyn Young, as she was writing the book Historic Scotland where doing archaeology to find the battle-site, and her Bannockburn is now wrong.