Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
There are apparently several foreign English teachers with my organization who are currently missing. It might just be that they haven't been contacted yet, but please keep their families in your prayers, too. It must be horrible to have your son or daughter living in another country when something like this happens.

I know the feeling -- two years ago my son and his girlfriend were in China at the time of the great earthquake there. They were not in the affected redgion yet still my heart was in my mouth.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
As for temporary shelter, I can't say in this particular case, but I do know that a couple of years ago when they had a big quake in Niigata that left many people homeless, they set up temporary shelters and homes, similar to trailers, for people to stay in. They also had concerted efforts to rebuild almost immediately with hundreds of volunteers going in and rebuilding. It might sound odd, but Japan is amazing when it comes to how fast they can put up a building.

On the other hand, I think this is a different situation because there's also the question of whether or not some of these towns will come back at all.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen that Japan "dropped" two feet, but it didn't say whether that was just some parts, northern Honshu, or what. But, if that's the case and the tsunami when the land was two feet higher did the damage it did, I'd suspect some of the coastal towns would rebuild farther away from the ocean. Just makes sense. Puma

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Logically yes, and many people have said they'd rebuild elsewhere, so that might be the case. Though people still rebuilt in New Orleans and Galveston after the hurricanes, so logic doesn't always dictate these decisions.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard from TheThinker42? It's been some time. With her hubby being in the service.......:Shrug:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw her on FB just yesterday. She's fine. They weren't on the mainland.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I'm revitalizing this thread tonight for the AWers in the Plains, deep South and Midwest United States due to the catastrophic nature of the tornado super-outbreak and flooding currently ongoing.

I'm in Ohio and the bulk of the storms is not here yet. I have a few hours yet before I have to worry. But considering the devastation in the South--particularly with horrific tornadoes making direct hits on Tuscaloosa (including the University of Alabama) and Birmingham--and the flooding along the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers--particularly in Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and Ohio--I think we need this thread now.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Take care, mscelina. This spring has been just awful with the super-outbreaks :(

Here's hoping everyone stays very safe!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
YO! Southern US AWers, You folks ok?

Roll Call, Southern AWers.

You folks ok? Anything we can do?

That sucker was a monster of storm.

Daylight illuminated a scene of utter devastation across many areas of the South Thursday, following storms of near-epic proportions that killed at least 202 people in six states.
The vast majority of fatalities occurred in Alabama, where as many as 149 people perished, although Gov. Robert Bentley told reporters Thursday there were 131 confirmed deaths.
A breakdown provided by Bentley's office showed that violent weather claimed lives in 16 Alabama counties.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We lost power for about 8 hours here in northeast Mississippi. It was bad in places over here, and some people from work are taking the day off to help friends and family clean up, but everyone I know are fine.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What horror visited on our friends in the southeastern states. All my prayers for your safety and sorrow for your losses.

Please let us know what you can when you can.

Chase

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the Chattanooga area. Major power outage and trees down everywhere in the downtown and Missionary Ridge areas, but my family is okay.

Pics of the tree that came down in my front yard are on my blog: Where's My House?

I think I've still got a bit of the adrenaline shakes going on.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
What a horrible set of storms! I can't believe the death toll this spring :(

NC fared much better this time than in recent weeks.

Very locally, we haven't had as many (small) tornadoes or wind problems as usual this spring. Not very far away, it's been tragic, however :(

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I stayed in my office last night - partly because there's an overhang in the back where I can park my car to protect it from hail (unless the wind pushed it at about a 45 degree angle). There was lots of rain and lightning, but not very much wind, despite at least two tornado warnings.

One apparent tornado hit about ten miles away, and about a mile from where I live (I was seeing this as it happened, the local newspaper tweeted about it). I went home around 2AM after the weather settled down. There were a couple of trees down in the yard, and the power was out (a running netbook make a usable light if you don't have anything else). I got up this morning and took a pic of the nearest fallen tree:
http://bit.ly/lxFkgO
That's taken from the driveway, it's close enough it could have hit the house. There are a few other downed trees on the property further from the house.

I walked out to the road, and just past the driveway there were at least five trees laying across the road. They also brought down the power lines, as well as another tree on a side road that brought down the power lines in another direction. I saw one utility truck stopped in the other direction when I left, but they hadn't yet got to the part with the trees down. I hope they get some more people with chainsaws to clear the road, else it'll take them all day to clear the trees so they can even get to the utility poles to put the lines back up.

Oh yeah, the basics - I'm safe, no damage to car or house, and the trees aren't a big deal - I have a 'service' that cuts them up and leaves them for firewood to be used in the winter.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard from Sassandgroove in Alabama. They're okay.

Local flooding here, but nothing so awful as many places.

Maryn, who was worried

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Australia, we're just waking up to news of your tornados - I do hope people check in safely. Aggie, that tree was terribly close!

Do stay safe, everyone.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
west Georgia - we're okay, they went above and below us. Still a little shaken, because we didn't know what would happen. Then shaken by what we've seen in Al and in Ga above us.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Here's to hoping everyone is okay. These storms are just terrifying!

My boyfriend's parents had one go right through their neighborhood, and while they're both fine, a few houses down are completely gone. It's just unreal how strong something like this can be and how quickly it can happen.

I hope everyone in the south is alright. Keeping everyone in my prayers.

SJp

Currently buried in schoolwork.
Registered
Reaction score
We just got power back. No damage on my street, but lots of fallen trees and tornado paths in our area. I'm just now seeing the extent of it. Suppose I should be lucky I only lost power for 30 hours.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm twenty miles northeast of Birmingham with family in Birmingham. Areas of the state look like a war zone and I've picked up debris, (receipts, lab results, advertisements, pieces of siding, roofing, paintings, a page from a book, part of a sheet of music, twisted tin roofing as well as many pieces of splintered wood, etc.), from Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Pleasant Grove, Hueytown, and Bessemer from our front yard. I was thankful to wake up this morning with the news that all of my family members are okay, although some had no power or phone service. So much devastation in the state. It will take years for some areas to recover.