Chat Not Allowing Me To Send Text [javachat IRC problem]

Rochester

Registered
Reaction score
Keep popping up in the room, sorry guys.... and I haven't been able to actually respond to anyone.

I type something in the box but when I hit enter it doesn't send. Also doesn't let me PM people. Any ideas?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sorry, no idea why... don't even know which IRC you're using... maybe you can try another one, take a peek at the sticky info thread for alternative suggestions (posts 3 and 4).

-Derek

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he got the problem solved; it's ok to let threads die.

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
Do y'all have Java enabled on your computers? Obvious, I know, but sometimes I disable stuff and forget.

ETA

I just logged in using Java in Firefox and it seemed to work ok. I did have to go through 2 dialogues to tell Firefox that it was ok to allow Java to run -- one of those may have been a Java dialogue warning about a the security risk javachat presents.

Make sure you have your permissions set appropriately to allow it to run is the best advice I have at the moment.

Last edited:

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
Yeah, I did. I re-downloaded it and everything to check first. I logged in and could see everything that was going in on chat and I could type in the bar but it wouldn't let me send anything that I typed. I don't know if it's cause I'm on a mac?

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I did. I re-downloaded it and everything to check first. I logged in and could see everything that was going in on chat and I could type in the bar but it wouldn't let me send anything that I typed. I don't know if it's cause I'm on a mac?

We have quite a few mac users in chat, so that's probably not it, unless it's a mac-related problem that only some users encounter.

Personally, I've never used javachat, because I don't like it, but if you really want to use a web-based chat instead of an IRC client (whyyyyy would you want to do thaaaaaat) there's always Mibbit. There's some info on how to use Mibbit and get into AW chat here.

Hope to see you there soon :)

Deleted member 42

I would uninstall java and get a Mac IRC client like Colloquy or Snak

Java is still, even now, one of the most widely exploited pieces of software.