Bill Cosby: America's Favorite Dad...and Rapist?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At this point, I don't see how even Cosby's wife and kids can be in denial. His lawyers are going to have a hard time painting upwards of 30 women -- including victims as well-known as Cindra Ladd and Beverly Johnson -- as all being opportunistic lying schemers.

Do they have to paint all 30 women as opportunistic lying schemers? If Cosby's attorney's only paint a few of his accusers as untrustworthy, unreliable and unbelievable, that will be enough for the die-hards and dead-enders who refuse to believe the women.

I would not expect Cosby's family to abandon ship. At least not publicly. Privately? That's another story, but daughter Evin Cosby, left no room to doubt she's still firmly on Team Cosby:

Rape is a serious allegation and it is suppose to be taken VERY seriously but so is Falsely accusing someone. When someone rapes a person they go to prison. THAT should also happen to the person that has wrongfully accused an innocent victim. They are not ONLY destroying innocent people’s life they are ALSO making it hard for the MEN and Women to find justice when they have been raped

Drugged — you can remember the whole damn day but you were drugged? Just sayin. Memory — you can remember you looked at (allegedly) each other, people were starring allegedly remembering your home address allegedly the name you called him allegedly But you were allegedly drugged
The family is always the last ones to abandon ship. Why would you think the Cosby family would try to distance themselves from its patriarch?

It is a difficult situation for his close family to be in.

The same could be said for his TV family.

Malcolm Jamal-Warner, who played son Theo on The Cosby Show told Billboard: “He’s one of my mentors, and he’s been very influential and played a big role in my life as a friend and mentor. Just as it’s painful to hear any woman talk about sexual assault, whether true or not, it’s just as painful to watch my friend and mentor go through this.”

Warner then added: “I can’t really speak on any of the allegations because obviously, I was not there. The Bill Cosby I know has been great to me and great for a lot of people. What he’s done for comedy and television has been legendary and history-making. What he’s done for the black community and education has been invaluable. That’s the Bill Cosby I know. I can’t speak on the other stuff.”

This is spin on Jamal-Warner's part. He testifies to Cosby's good works and characters, but doesn't directly address the accusations.

Wasn't there. Did a lot of good stuff. Can't say about the bad stuff. He's not that guy. Don't know nuthin'.

The last people who will jump ship on Cosby will be the ones whom owe him their careers and livelihood.

Alessandra Kelley said:
What bothers me is the number of other people ignoring all evidence.

When a person says that X is proof that Cosby must be innocent, and then the exact opposite of X is proven, if they then say that the opposite of X is proof that Cosby must be innocent, one can only conclude that they are not honestly interested in examining any evidence.

There is a preponderance of accusations, but until one of these case reaches a courtroom we haven't had an opportunity to examine any of the evidence.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Do they have to paint all 30 women as opportunistic lying schemers? If Cosby's attorney's only paint a few of his accusers as untrustworthy, unreliable and unbelievable, that will be enough for the die-hards and dead-enders who refuse to believe the women.

I would not expect Cosby's family to abandon ship. At least not publicly. Privately? That's another story, but daughter Evin Cosby, left no room to doubt she's still firmly on Team Cosby:

The family is always the last ones to abandon ship. Why would you think the Cosby family would try to distance themselves from its patriarch?

I wouldn't think they'd denounce him -- certainly not publicly. But I think it would be hard not to be questioning in your own mind what happened, no matter how much you loved your dad. I love my father very much, but if 30 women came forward with accusations like this, I'd have a hard time not thinking something happened. That's all I meant.

I feel very sorry for his wife and kids. This must be terrible for them, even if they truly do believe in his innocence.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
There is a preponderance of accusations, but until one of these case reaches a courtroom we haven't had an opportunity to examine any of the evidence.

I was not talking about legal evidence, but observable facts.

For example, early on as this story broke some people said all the accusers were white, which proved they were lying and Cosby must be innocent. When it came out that the accusers were not all white, that story was dropped.

Some people said no one had reported anything to the police at the time of the alleged assaults, which proved they were lying and Cosby must be innocent. When it came out that some of the accusers had gone to the police at the time of the alleged assaults, that story was dropped.

When only a few accusations had surfaced some people said that they were small in number, proving they were lying and Cosby was innocent. As the number of women coming forward has grown, people have begun to say that they are so large in number it is suspicious, they must be lying and Cosby must be innocent.

At first it was said that these accusations were out of the blue, unthinkable and never before said, and therefore the new stories must be lies and Cosby must be innocent. When it came out that women have been telling people Cosby drugged and raped them since the 1970s, maybe the 1960s, that was taken as proof that other women somehow heard these charges and are copycatting them, telling lies and Cosby must be innocent.

Every excuse is like sand. Only one thing has remained unshifting in these narratives.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't think they'd denounce him -- certainly not publicly. But I think it would be hard not to be questioning in your own mind what happened, no matter how much you loved your dad. I love my father very much, but if 30 women came forward with accusations like this, I'd have a hard time not thinking something happened. That's all I meant.

I know what you meant. What I don't know if you know is how much Bill Cosby has meant to the Black community. Not just as a comedian or an entrepreneur or a philanthropist or even as a father figure. I mean what Bill Cosby has meant as a Black man.

That's hard to let go of. It's would be hard enough to let go of if Cosby had actually been convicted of rape. Because he has not it makes it impossible for many who have admired or even loved Bill Cosby to cut him loose. Cosby occupies this weird space now where certain guilt has not established but neither can he plausibly claim complete innocence.

Cosby has the resources and apparently the will to fight, deny and hide behind silence for the rest of his life and gives every impression of doing.

Whether its 30 or 330, there will always be someone who will never believe, never accept and never ever let go of Bill Cosby.

I was not talking about legal evidence, but observable facts.

For example, early on as this story broke some people said all the accusers were white, which proved they were lying and Cosby must be innocent. When it came out that the accusers were not all white, that story was dropped.

Some people said no one had reported anything to the police at the time of the alleged assaults, which proved they were lying and Cosby must be innocent. When it came out that some of the accusers had gone to the police at the time of the alleged assaults, that story was dropped.

When only a few accusations had surfaced some people said that they were small in number, proving they were lying and Cosby was innocent. As the number of women coming forward has grown, people have begun to say that they are so large in number it is suspicious, they must be lying and Cosby must be innocent.

At first it was said that these accusations were out of the blue, unthinkable and never before said, and therefore the new stories must be lies and Cosby must be innocent. When it came out that women have been telling people Cosby drugged and raped them since the 1970s, maybe the 1960s, that was taken as proof that other women somehow heard these charges and are copycatting them, telling lies and Cosby must be innocent.

Every excuse is like sand. Only one thing has remained unshifting in these narratives.

Yes, but there's a lot of sand in the world and the abundance of accusers has not quelled the creation of Cosby conspiracy theories.
(CNN)Is somebody out to destroy the legacy of Bill Cosby?

Supporters have raised the specter of a campaign designed to topple the man who was one of Hollywood's most beloved stars and an inspiration to many.

"We are talking about a legacy that inspired a generation of young people to consider and pursue higher education," his former "Cosby Show" co-star Phylicia Rashad told ABC in an interview that aired Wednesday night. "We're talking about a legacy that introduced and portrayed American culture in its diversity. It's difficult for me to watch this legacy be erased as if it never happened."

Rashad's concerns over that legacy have been reflected among those who believe the star is being railroaded.

"The Cosby scandal bears so many earmarks that are all-too-familiar to the black psyche: contempt for black success, the taboo of black men sleeping with white women, mixed with more contemporaneous issues such as the overzealous contempt for President Barack Obama in Red State America, and the last six months of civil unrest regarding the killing of unarmed black men at the hands of police," Stereo Williams wrote in a Daily Beast story headlined "Phylicia Rashad and the Cult of Cosby Truthers."

"But at the heart of this 'Truther' conspiracy theory is the idea that 'someone' wants to destroy Bill Cosby," Williams continued. "No one seems to know who that is -- or why they would want to do such a thing. Aside from general 'They wanna bring a black man down' sentiments, there has yet to be any substantive argument for why this would be happening right now."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/08/showbiz/feat-phylicia-rashad-bill-cosby-conspiracy/

The ability of human beings to create narrative which disprove reality and affirm fantasies of their own creation is boundless and crosses every race, religion, orientation and every other line of demarcation.

We love our lies. They keep us happy and warm and believing long after the rest of the world has wised up and moved on.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
oh, dear.

I truly do not think that Bill Cosby's latest statement was a good move:

Dear Fans: GOD has Blessed me with a wonderful gift to share with all of you," Cosby said in a statement released to the Herald. "For 53 years I have continued to master this gift, which heals the soul and warms hearts. Laughter! I thank you, the theatre staff (Wilbur Theatre), the event organizers and the Boston Community for your continued support and coming to experience family, fun entertainment. Hey, Hey, Hey — I'm Far From Finished."

This bothers me that much more because I cannot tell you how much I loved the Fat Albert show as a kid. I hate to see that "Hey, hey, hey" tainted.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
There is still yet another new accusation.

Heidi Thomas claims she went over to Cosby’s house in 1984 to read lines, and he handed her a glass of Chablis to drink. According to CNN, “her memory of the next few hours is ‘foggy’ ” but she remembers waking up to find Cosby “next to her in bed, naked and ‘forcing himself in [her] mouth.’”

Cosby’s lawyer, Martin Singer, did not respond to EW’s multiple requests for comment.

How many women is it now who have accused Cosby of drugging and assaulting them?

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
More details. It really sounds like he had a routine worked out.

A limo driver picked Thomas up at the Reno Airport and brought her to a house to meet Cosby. The driver told her the house belonged to a friend of Cosby’s, who was letting the comedian use it to hide from paparazzi, she recalled.

Cosby coached her in acting and asked her to read the part of a drunk character. Claiming he was unimpressed with her performance, he suggested Thomas get drunk and gave her a glass of Chablis, she said.

After her drink, her memory got “foggy,” and she said she woke up later to see Cosby on top of her, naked, and telling her, “I’m your friend.”

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The tally was at 25-30, depending on the source, before this most recent accusation. The pile-up of victim voices is becoming truly, and likely historically, epic.

I wonder when the excuse-makers will switch over from these women are liars because there are so few of them to these women are liars because there are so many of them.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As much as the Internet loves lists, I haven't found one keeping a running tally of Cosby accusers/victims. I'm certain there must be one somewhere, though my Google-Fu has yet to locate it.

As the number continues to inch up I can only wonder if the accumulative effect doesn't become one of numbing cynicism. It isn't that the number of accusers doesn't matter, but as the numbers continue to grow and the details remain depressingly similar, does that morph Cosby into even more of a monster or does it reduce the women themselves more faceless parts of a greater whole?

The story of Heidi Thomas is at risk of being rendered as only "Victim Number Thirtysomething" as both the press and the public have begun to move on to newer and fresher scandals.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I think, unfortunately, the effect at this point is one of numbing cynicism.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Because of Cosby's talent, because of his immense star, because of his image of America's dad, I think he's a good example of how difficult it can sometimes be to separate an artist from their work. Usually I'm able to do this with no problem. My argument has always been that (a) we don't have any real idea of who these people are behind closed doors and (b) if we were to start judging them by character, we'd be lucky to end up with any at all. I do think it's kind of telling that Cosby was the guy who called Eddie Murphy and chastised him for using profanity in his stand up act. It rarely fails that those who are most judgmental have the most to hide. If I were a big Bill Cosby fan before all these accusations - and I was not, not really - I don't know if I'd still be. I agree that we're all comfortable with our lies. I also think that minorities can have a more difficult time of letting go of what seemed to be positive examples, but still, what do you do? In the end I think you have to fall on the side of truth and decency.

Now whether Cosby fans will still be able to enjoy his comedy, I guess that will come down to the individual. I still enjoy Michael Jackson's music, think he was a ridiculous talent, and the accusations against him were just as bad. I don't know, I think there's a point when it's too much, and maybe that's subjective.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
As much as the Internet loves lists, I haven't found one keeping a running tally of Cosby accusers/victims. I'm certain there must be one somewhere, though my Google-Fu has yet to locate it.

As the number continues to inch up I can only wonder if the accumulative effect doesn't become one of numbing cynicism. It isn't that the number of accusers doesn't matter, but as the numbers continue to grow and the details remain depressingly similar, does that morph Cosby into even more of a monster or does it reduce the women themselves more faceless parts of a greater whole?

The story of Heidi Thomas is at risk of being rendered as only "Victim Number Thirtysomething" as both the press and the public have begun to move on to newer and fresher scandals.

That might be why the later "accusers" wait to tell their story, though. They don't necessarily want a lot of personal attention (even public empathy) for telling it. Adding some truth but sliding by unnoticed personally would be about perfect with rape accusations, imho.

But I do think it means that Cosby definitely had a routine going. He's not the first drug-rapist to do so at all, so even that doesn't really surprise me. If he's like the others, there will have been pictures and video somewhere. Except the police never searched his stuff, so that won't come up here.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because of Cosby's talent, because of his immense star, because of his image of America's dad, I think he's a good example of how difficult it can sometimes be to separate an artist from their work. Usually I'm able to do this with no problem. My argument has always been that (a) we don't have any real idea of who these people are behind closed doors and (b) if we were to start judging them by character, we'd be lucky to end up with any at all. I do think it's kind of telling that Cosby was the guy who called Eddie Murphy and chastised him for using profanity in his stand up act.

Which is why it's sort of fascinating Eddie Murphy declined an offer to play Bill Cosby in a Jeopardy skit during the Saturday Night Live 40th anniversary special as Norm McDonald reported in a flurry of Tweets. McDonald said Murphy didn't want to "kick a man when he's down."

Okay.

It's been speculated Murphy, who has said he only knows Cosby socially and not as a friend, avoided taking the shot at Cosby due to his own past scandals.

Maze Runner said:
Now whether Cosby fans will still be able to enjoy his comedy, I guess that will come down to the individual. I still enjoy Michael Jackson's music, think he was a ridiculous talent, and the accusations against him were just as bad. I don't know, I think there's a point when it's too much, and maybe that's subjective.

In many ways, Cosby's issues are worse than Jackson's despite his dirty deeds being directed at little boys. At least Jackson went to court and face punishment for his crimes. Cosby has not and possibly never will which means if he gets away with it, there will never be any reckoning for what he did.

With Cosby the steady drip-drip-drip of accusations has worn away his integrity and reputation. I don't see how he can ever get either back.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Which is why it's sort of fascinating Eddie Murphy declined an offer to play Bill Cosby in a Jeopardy skit during the Saturday Night Live 40th anniversary special as Norm McDonald reported in a flurry of Tweets. McDonald said Murphy didn't want to "kick a man when he's down."

Okay.

It's been speculated Murphy, who has said he only knows Cosby socially and not as a friend, avoided taking the shot at Cosby due to his own past scandals.

In many ways, Cosby's issues are worse than Jackson's despite his dirty deeds being directed at little boys. At least Jackson went to court and face punishment for his crimes. Cosby has not and possibly never will which means if he gets away with it, there will never be any reckoning for what he did.

With Cosby the steady drip-drip-drip of accusations has worn away his integrity and reputation. I don't see how he can ever get either back.

Yeah, I also heard, maybe from Murphy himself, don't recall, that Eddie called up Richard Pryor, the best stand up of all imo, and told him about the call he'd gotten from Cosby and Pryor said to the best of my memory,

"Well, do the people laugh?"

"Yeah, Rich, they laugh."

"Then to tell Bill to have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up!"

But Michael had no choice but to go to court, right? Anyway, I don't know which allegations are worse. On second thought, I think I agree that the ones against Cosby are worse, since if Michael was guilty of molestation I would say that it was of a sickness. Were Cosby's of a sickness, too?

I think you're right about Cosby losing his integrity and reputation. But it's crazy though, right? People are still going to his shows, aren't they? I could be wrong about this, haven't watched it very closely.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I kinda hate doing it, but this is so bizarre, so removed from reality it begs the question is Bill Cosby senile or insane?

Watch this short video and decide for yourself.

For the first time since numerous women have come forward alleging they were sexually assaulted by Bill Cosby, the comedian is sending out a video message to his fans.

On Monday, "The Cosby Show" star released a new video of him talking on the phone, assuring his fans that he's still performing despite the recent scandal. There is no mention of the more than 20 women who've claimed the 77-year-old entertainer sexually assaulted them.

"You know I'll be hilarious," Cosby insists about his upcoming comedy shows, this being one of his first efforts to rehabilitate his reputation.

The video also came with a message from Cosby that reads: "Dear fans, I hope you enjoy my wonderful video message that's filled with laughter... Hey, hey, hey, I'm far from finished."

The comedian has not been charged with a crime and has yet to publicly address the allegations made by these women.
Lounging in silk pajamas on a cheap set with a old phone and invoking Fat Albert as he faces over 30 accusations of drugging, molesting and raping women.

Far from finished? The only thing about Cosby that isn't finished is the number of horror stories about him still to be told.

Bill Cosby has gone mad and is living in an alternate reality of his own creation. :e2hammer:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The pajamas were particularly ill-advised, given how many victims mention waking up to find themselves naked and Cosby in a robe.

I do wish he'd leave my beloved Fat Albert the hell out of this.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
That magnitude of celebrity sequesters you and enables delusion. BC's still got people telling him daily, hourly, how great he is. Even if they don't say it in words, they cater to him, "Yes, Mr. Cosby, thank you, Mr. Cosby, we love you Mr. Cosby, at the restaurant where he's eaten lunch for years, at the dry cleaners he's been paying the rent on with his hefty tabs. At his concerts, where he apparently still has loyal fans. The guy's on automatic. It's a wonder they're not all nuts.

He looks to be in denial, at least when the cameras are rolling. You (I) gotta wonder if he has moments off camera where he's honest with himself. You (I) gotta wonder, if he does, if he is mindful of what he's (allegedly) done? And if so, how does he live with it? Looks like he's at full throttle, if only to keep from falling flat on his face. How is it possible that I pity the bastard?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Two more women accuse Cosby of drugging and raping them

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/27/us-people-billcosby-idUSKBN0MN2MG20150327

(Reuters) - Two more women came forward on Friday accusing veteran comedian Bill Cosby of drugging and sexually assaulting them decades ago, when they were in their teens.

Sunni Welles and Margie Shapiro joined the more than three dozen women who have accused the 77-year-old comedian of sexual assault, reading statements alongside celebrity attorney Gloria Allred.

So it's more than three dozen women now.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, I was a little taken aback when I pulled Esquire out of the mailbox with Nick Offerman and Chelsea Handler's bare butts on the cover. Didn't see that coming. Didn't need to either.

The cover is riffing on an old Rolling Stone cover of John Lennon and Yoko Ono in the raw if you want to compare and contrast who's got the better asses.

As far as Handler claiming Cosby tried to "Cosby her", now that this has turned into a verb, my thoughts are this: this has now is such a thing now nearly any woman can now claim they were Cosbyed and whether or not the story is believed, it will be heard.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
And the hits just keep on comin'...

Comedian Bill Cosby, who in recent months has been mired in numerous accusations of sexual assault, once again found himself in the line of fire on Thursday as three more alleged victims came forward.

The trio of women told their stories at the office of attorney Gloria Allred. The women, who had previously not made their allegations publicly known, included a former model who alleged that she was victimized at the Playboy Mansion in Chicago.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think, unfortunately, the effect at this point is one of numbing cynicism.

Q.F.T.

At some point the numbers simply become more wood on an already roaring bonfire and the result only confirms what was known months ago.

Bill Cosby is toast.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score

That's a good comparison. Note the huge difference though - Michael Jackson is dead. He can't hurt any more children, and he can no longer be judged in a court of law.

While it's doubtful that Bill Cosby continues to offend at his age, his MO of drugging the women unconscious would make it possible. Plus unlike Jackson, he has never faced criminal charges.

I hate to say, but given that people can have extreme reactions to drugs and we are now at 38 or more women, I'm starting to wonder if there could be another victim who overdosed and died.