The Catwalk to Prison

MrCasperTom

Registered
Reaction score
So apparently France may be the fourth country to pass a new bill relating to standards of models in the fashion industry.

Italy, Israel and Spain have all passed bills banning the use of ultra-thin models, with France expected to follow suit.

The French National Assembly is considering a health reform bill that includes measures to ban designers and labels from using models deemed "too thin" by healthcare standards.

Very thin models would be required to prove they have a minimum Body Mass Index (BMI) of 18, with a medical certificate.
They would then be subjected to periodic weigh-ins. Models who come in under weight would face fines of up to 75,000 euros, (£55,000) or even prison sentences.

Jamie Gavin, founder and managing director of media agency inPress, has welcomed the proposals.

Maybe I'm missing something but surely it is completely ridiculous to go down the route of punishing the model rather than a fashion agency for using said models if their aim is to curtail dangerous underweight models?

Edit: The article has been amended. That makes this better.

Correction 1 April 2015: This page has been amended to clarify that it is the employers, rather than the models, who could be penalised.

Last edited:

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely don't go for punishing the women when it's the companies and designers pushing for the ultra thin body type. I also don't go for using BMI as the standard when it can be such an inaccurate form of measurement.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's just stupid. My sister is perfectly healthy, eats like an elephant and is barely a size 2. I haven't been a size 2 since I was 2.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yet when a "normal" model walks down the runway, the designer is DARING! UNIQUE! GUTSY! FORWARD-THINKING! etc.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
If the goal is to protect the health of models, which I think should be at least one of the goals, then punishing the model and not the agency seems a good way to establish a, "do it, but don't get caught," sort of paradigm.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I understand the message and the reason behind the message, but yeah...punishing the model is stupid.

And how about we just accept models of all body types? Some are teeny and tiny and short, some are curvy, some are CURVY...

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Models are often underage and certainly the most powerless people in the fashion industry.

This is like trying to pressure sweatshops by jailing and fining the children they employ.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand not allowing models to participate if they are too small. Models are turned down for being too big or too short all the time. But why should they be punished?

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Punishing the models is ridiculous. They usually face a lot of pressure, and I don't see what punishing them will accomplish. If the models are the ones facing the consequences, there really isn't much motivation for the bigwigs to change anything. It also has the disturbing implication of punishing someone for their body or a potential health problem. Nobody should have to maintain a certain weight to avoid punishment, especially since that is not going to be possible for everyone.

Fining magazines, fashion shows, and other bodies that use underweight models might make sense. Going after the models themselves doesn't, and puts far too much responsibility on the wrong people.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like something is left out of the story, as it says it'll have measures to ban designers and labels, but only talks about the measures used to control the models.

I'm not sure how I feel about the latter. I think there should definitely be punishment for the former, and I'm not convinced there isn't. The models, I dunno. I get the no, but it feels a little like (I'm not equating the issues) how those wanting to criminalize abortion kind of always try to enact punishments for the medical professionals and never the women seeking abortions, calling them 'victims,' which only serves, imo, to deny their agency and such. I get there are underage, underweight models who are at least bordering on victims in this kind of thing, and it's different, but that's my hesitation with 'but don't punish the women!'

I understand the message and the reason behind the message, but yeah...punishing the model is stupid.

And how about we just accept models of all body types? Some are teeny and tiny and short, some are curvy, some are CURVY...

Some of the teeny tiny ones only have that body type because they're starving the hell out of themselves, which has been made obvious, though it's always denied, when they've dropped dead from the effects of eating disorders.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the teeny tiny ones only have that body type because they're starving the hell out of themselves, which has been made obvious, though it's always denied, when they've dropped dead from the effects of eating disorders.

An eating disorder is a health problem. Why would you punish someone for having a health problem? Not only is it unfair, it's also counterproductive to treating eating disorders. Also, there are lots of people who have eating disorders, so how does it make sense to only punish them if they are hired as models?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
An eating disorder is a health problem. Why would you punish someone for having a health problem? Not only is it unfair, it's also counterproductive to treating eating disorders. Also, there are lots of people who have eating disorders, so how does it make sense to only punish them if they are hired as models?

I think there are several things here.

An eating disorder is a mental health problem, yes.

Just because someone is starving themselves to be thin doesn't necessarily mean the person has an eating disorder. Same as a wrestler trying to make weight, a model trying to stay 'thin,' might engage in habits that people with eating disorders also do, without herself actually having a disorder.

Also, addiction is also a mental health problem, and we punish people for, basically, having that.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I think there are several things here.

An eating disorder is a mental health problem, yes.

Just because someone is starving themselves to be thin doesn't necessarily mean the person has an eating disorder. Same as a wrestler trying to make weight, a model trying to stay 'thin,' might engage in habits that people with eating disorders also do, without herself actually having a disorder.

Also, addiction is also a mental health problem, and we punish people for, basically, having that.

But we don't punish addicts only when they're working as models. Not eating because you have an eating disorder, or for any other reason, isn't illegal.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
But we don't punish addicts only when they're working as models. Not eating because you have an eating disorder, or for any other reason, isn't illegal.

Presumably there would be some statute making working as a model while under X BMI, hiring a model under X BMI, etc., against the law. That's kind of the point of the thing.

Possessing X amount of heroin, that only addicts or users would be carrying, is illegal.

Having an eating disorder isn't illegal. Being an addict isn't illegal.

In places this would presumably be a law that presumably could indict models as well as those hiring them, modeling under a certain weight for your height would be.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
The article now says it's been updated:

Correction 1 April 2015: This page has been amended to clarify that it is the employers, rather than the models, who could be penalised

I know some legitimately/naturally really skinny models would be excluded, but they could always try to eat a lot and lift weights to get more meat on their bones to make it as a model. God knows that's safer than the opposite.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, I personally think a natural 18 BMI can be absolutely lovely.

Scarily, though, I modeled right out of high school for extra money. Yes, it's scary on its own :D but the thing was that I had an undiagnosed disease that had caused me to lose tons of weight (lots of muscle, mainly, so scary there). My BMI was 14.3 at the time! But the pictures looked good. It completely freaks me out that the pictures could look good when I was really so very ill.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Presumably there would be some statute making working as a model while under X BMI, hiring a model under X BMI, etc., against the law. That's kind of the point of the thing.

Yes, I understand the OP just fine. My point is that making that against the law doesn't really make sense. I think it's fair to say that if you aren't the right size, you can't model. I don't think you should be arrested because you tried.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I understand the OP just fine. My point is that making that against the law doesn't really make sense. I think it's fair to say that if you aren't the right size, you can't model. I don't think you should be arrested because you tried.

Note post #16.