poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
he said/she said

guess gladwell's 10,000 hour rule doesn't apply to even professional liars.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Hillary Clinton said the server that housed her emails while she was secretary of state (that was reportedly housed at her home in New York) was set up for President Bill Clinton. She also said that some of the "personal" emails she deleted were between her and her husband.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/h...ith-bill-but-the-thing-is-.../article/2561325

If Hillary Clinton’s emails are eventually cracked open, don’t expect to see any juicy correspondence with her husband—or any correspondence at all. Bill Clinton doesn’t use email.

The former president, who does regularly use Twitter, has sent a grand total of two emails during his entire life, both as president, says Matt McKenna, his spokesman. After leaving office, Mr. Clinton established his own domain that staff use–@presidentclinton.com. But Mr. Clinton still doesn’t use email himself, Mr. McKenna said.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/03/10/bill-clinton-still-doesnt-use-email/

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
she said/she said

presumptive president clinton today:

Following a speech at the United Nations Tuesday afternoon, Clinton told reporters she “opted for convenience” for only using her private email address while at the State Department because she wanted to use one device for both her personal and work emails.

I thought it would be easier to carry one device for my work,” Clinton said during a news conference."
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015...onvenience-only-having-private-email-account/

sec of state clinton in june 2011

MS. MORALES: All right. This one posted via Twitter. Elsie Friginal (ph) asks: What’s inside your purse; while Jerry Pen (ph) is asking: What’s on your iPod or iPad?

SECRETARY CLINTON: Well, I have a quite large purse, because when you travel as much as I do, you never know what you’re going to need. So in addition to makeup and all that goes with that, usually my Blackberry and papers of all kinds, because I can’t get away with a small purse because I’m in and out of meetings all the time. So it’s kind of a purse/briefcase sort of operation going on here. But when I go overseas, like on this trip, there are many more bags that come with me than just my purse in case something else is needed. And my iPod, just the usual wonderful musical “interluding” diversions that we all need, a wide variety. And on my iPad, I have to confess, mostly news sites, because I do a lot of looking to see what’s going on around the world.
http://www.state.gov/secretary/20092013clinton/rm/2011/11/177254.htm

bonus fun:

5 months prior:

June 29, 2011: A State Department cable to employees is issued under Clinton’s signature (as are all cables) after Google revealed that hackers were targeting the personal e-mail accounts of U.S. government employees. The cable warns: “Avoid conducting official Department business from your personal e-mail accounts.”
10 months hence:

August 2012: The State Department inspector general issues a scathing report on the performance of U.S. Ambassador to Kenya Scott Gration that includes criticism of the fact he used a private e-mail account to handle “sensitive but unclassified” material. Gration is later fired.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading a bit about the Gration story. Some articles say he was fired while others say he resigned. Maybe it was more of a "resignation", if you get my drift.

But in any case, Gration was a pretty bad ambassador, from the looks of things. Says here he demanded oversight of the Somali embassy, something of a major power grab given that he was ambassador to Kenya, not Somalia. And supposedly he was threatening people who worked under him.

Given all the problems he had, I think it's hard to say whether the email issue was even all that significant in sealing his fate. Could've been, but I wouldn't be surprised if he would've been forced out regardless.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
presumptive president clinton today:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2015...onvenience-only-having-private-email-account/

sec of state clinton in june 2011

http://www.state.gov/secretary/20092013clinton/rm/2011/11/177254.htm

bonus fun:

5 months prior:

10 months hence:

This country is threatened by Jon Stewart leaving the Daily Show, Minneapolis's sudden acquisition of beachfront property, people stepping in front of express trains to take selfies, and drive-in movie theaters simultaneously showing Fifty Shades of Grey and Spongebob, but I'm really supposed to get stressed out over Hillary Clinton's wildly inconsistent emails? Pfft.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Just a side note, since William brought it up as a discrepancy. The iPad wasn't released until 2010, which would have been a full year after Clinton became Secretary of State. So wanting to only carry one device instead of two could well have been a reason for the original decision.

Not saying that she's for sure telling the truth. Just saying that's not really valid evidence of a lie.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious, and maybe this is a problem with the Blackberry that I don't understand, but I have more than a dozen email accounts on my phone.

Why would Mrs Clinton need to carry more than one phone to use more than one email account?

I'm sorry, but this smells just like every other politician who created their own set of rules and think that the regulations the rest of us live with don't apply to them.

Your own email server means that you have complete control of what can be audited. You don't want any history of that email trail on your server? Fine. Delete it and it's gone forever. Audit-free convenience at it's best.

No smoking guns....

For a politician, this is a good thing. For one with aspirations of being President, it's probably a mandatory page in their playbook.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious, and maybe this is a problem with the Blackberry that I don't understand, but I have more than a dozen email accounts on my phone.

Why would Mrs Clinton need to carry more than one phone to use more than one email account?

It didn't make sense to me at first, either, until I read earlier that government policy at the time forbid receiving e-mail from both personal and government e-mail accounts on the same mobile device. It wasn't a technology problem, it was a policy issue.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
It didn't make sense to me at first, either, until I read earlier that government policy at the time forbid receiving e-mail from both personal and government e-mail accounts on the same mobile device. It wasn't a technology problem, it was a policy issue.
I don't doubt you, but a citation would help. I haven't seen that explanation yet, though I have seen claims that gummint email needed to be on gummint devices.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score

So it's OK to ignore the policy that states you cannot use your personal email account, but to follow the policy that says you cannot put your personal email account on the same mobile device?

I could never live in their world.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

I'm sorry, but this smells just like every other politician who created their own set of rules and think that the regulations the rest of us live with don't apply to them.

Your own email server means that you have complete control of what can be audited. You don't want any history of that email trail on your server? Fine. Delete it and it's gone forever. Audit-free convenience at it's best.

No smoking guns....

For a politician, this is a good thing. For one with aspirations of being President, it's probably a mandatory page in their playbook.

Well...I'm not sure anything sent over the internet is really gone forever. Our posts on AW will live on long after we're so much putty stopping up a leak.

Taking aside any ethical/legal reasons, I wouldn't send professional email via a personal account -- or overly personal emails on a professional account -- simply because I wouldn't want to open up the possibility that my personal emails might become subject to review by attorneys.

As a young associate, I sometimes sat in windowless conference rooms for days and nights on end reviewing thousands of boxes of our clients' employees' printed-out emails, determining which ones were relevant and nonprivileged, and thus needed to be produced to the opposing side. Some of the few lighthearted moments during those mind-numbing and exhausting reviews were when we came across ill-advised sexy exchanges, temper tantrums, etc. people were silly enough to have on their work email accounts. Sure, we weeded them out, so opposing counsel never saw them. But we saw everything. And at three in the morning, we had many a hoot at the expense of those hapless employees. It was even funnier when the emails happened to be authored by people we'd met.

oh -- and many of those emails had been deleted. But a copy was still there on the server. I've also had fun with text messages that were supposedly deleted. I'm no computer whiz, but I do know that messages you delete can live on in another part of your computer or phone. You might not be able to pull them up, but a computer expert can.

Advice: if you're having an affair in the office, for the love of god, do not exchange explicit sexy banter on your work email account.

I rather doubt Hillary was exchanging sexy email banter with Bill or anyone else. Still, she might well have personal emails she wouldn't enjoy having some giddy, sleep-deprived associate giggling over at three in the morning.

I'm on team Hillary-really-should-have-used-her-official-email-account. For all kinds of reasons.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't doubt you, but a citation would help. I haven't seen that explanation yet, though I have seen claims that gummint email needed to be on gummint devices.

Took a bit to find it again.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/10/politics/hillary-clinton-press-conference-will-satisfy-few/index.html

She said several times she made the decision to have on single email account "for convenience." She said at the time, in order to have a separate state department and personal address, she would have had to have separate phones. President Obama's former speech writer, Jon Favreau, said on Twitter that government rules precluded use of a personal account on a government device before 2011.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Just a side note, since William brought it up as a discrepancy. The iPad wasn't released until 2010, which would have been a full year after Clinton became Secretary of State. So wanting to only carry one device instead of two could well have been a reason for the original decision.

she's made much more recent references to her multi-device mojo...

Mrs. Clinton’s explanation that it was more convenient to carry only one device seemed at odds with her remark last month, at a technology conference in Silicon Valley, that she uses multiple devices, including two kinds of iPads, an iPhone and a BlackBerry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/11/us/hillary-clinton-email.html?_r=0

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Using multiple devices isn't the same as carrying multiple devices.

I use all sorts of stuff; I only carry my cellphone.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
An Open Letter to Hillary Clinton from her Electronic Devices:

It has come to our attention while observing your current difficulties with State Department guidelines that you may not fully understand our e-mail systems. Thus, we are writing to bring to your attention some of the many features of our various e-mail and messaging software—the power to access mutliple accounts on multiple platforms for multiple needs—which you should seriously try to understand as your political career progresses...

[lengthy how-to documentation snipped for brevity]

We hope this letter enriches your knowledge of our e-mail systems and promotes mutual understanding and clarity between us all.

Sincerely,

[electronic signatures of Clinton's devices in binary]

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's a violation of the Logan Act.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Excuse me. I'm off to record a tearful reproach to robo on youtube.