Would You Sign My "Kill the Gays" ballot proposal?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is not America, but it is California.

In February, California attorney Matt McLaughlin paid $200 to propose a ballot measure called the Sodomite Suppression Act. McLaughlin’s measure describes gay sex as “a monstrous evil that Almighty God … commands us to suppress on pain of utter destruction.” Given these high stakes, McLaughlin suggests all gay people “be put to death by bullets to the head or by any other convenient method.”
Here is an excerpt of McLaughlin's proposed law:

• a) The abominable crime against nature known as buggery, called also sodomy, is a monstrous evil that Almighty God, giver of freedom and liberty, commands us to suppress on pain of our utter destruction even as he overthrew Sodom and Gomorrha.
  • b) Seeing that it is better that offenders should die rather than that all of us should be killed by God's just wrath against us for the folly of tolerating-wickedness in our midst, the People of California wisely command, in the fear of God, that any person who willingly touches another person of the same gender for purposes of sexual gratification be put to death by bullets to the head or by any other convenient method.
  • c) No person shall distribute, perform, or transmit sodomistic propaganda directly or indirectly by any means to any person under the age of majority. Sodomistic propaganda is defined as anything aimed at creating an interest in or an acceptance of human sexual relations other than between a man and a woman. Every offender shall be fined $1 million per occurrence, and/or imprisoned up to 10 years, and/or expelled from the boundaries of the state of California for up to life.
  • d) No person shall serve in any public office, nor serve in public employment, nor enjoy any public benefit, who is a sodomite or who espouses sodomistic propaganda or who belongs to any group that does.
Given the total outrageousness of the proposal, almost everybody assumed it would be quickly quashed. It seems, however, that quietly suffocating McLaughlin’s measure won’t be so easy. In fact, the proposal is almost certain to make it to the signature-gathering stage—despite the total illegality of its central goal.

The problem here is so foreseeable that it’s hard to believe California hasn’t fixed it before. Under state law, any citizen who properly submits an initiative (and pays the $200 fee) is entitled to gather signatures for their pet proposal. The attorney general is tasked with penning an official title and summary for the measure. She does not, however, have any discretionary authority to nix even the most absurd and sadistic of proposals. This rule, initially promulgated by the California Supreme Court, was designed to prevent partisan attorneys general from scrapping proposals for political reasons. But by refusing to give the attorney general any discretion over what measures pass the first hurdle, the court inadvertently protected crackpot proposals like McLaughlin’s.

California legislators are currently debating other methods of screening out insane and/or murderous ballot initiatives, such as significantly raising the filing fee. They can at least rest easy knowing that McLaughlin’s proposal almost certainly won’t attract the 365,880 signatures it needs to make it to the ballot. Even if the measure fails to meet that threshold, however, McLaughlin can try again next cycle. The California State Bar only disciplines attorneys for acts of “moral turpitude”—usually in relation to their work and clients, not their protected free speech activities. In the end, then, McLaughlin will probably keep his law license and face no official sanction.
Monstrous and appalling. Such hatred makes me sad for this world.

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
California's open ballot laws have produced a lot of crazy initiatives over the years.

Frankly, though, I don't really see the problem here. I mean, I see the problem with McLaughlin being a raging bigot, but all this demonstrates is that there's a raging bigot willing to pay $200 to publicly express how much he hates gay people. There is no chance this will actually get on the ballot, if it somehow did get on the ballot, there is no chance it would pass, and if it did pass, it would be instantly struck down.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
the degree of obliviousness to absurdity is staggering

heh

God's an inconsistent son of a bitch.

I've been trying for a while to reconcile wholesale slaughter and brutality with peace and love, without success. But apparently God's been advocating all of that for millennia.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, this is NOT Nighttimer asking us to sign HIS ballot proposal...

* puts away popcorn, keeps it handy here in P&CE *
California's open ballot laws have produced a lot of crazy initiatives over the years.
But it's a DEMOCRACY.
What, does he think California is Russia?
No, California's a democracy.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Does the California Bar Association not have a view on one of their number promulgating such views?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't lobbying for the collective death/execution of a minority group considered a hate crime in California?

Emilander

Banned
Reaction score
Not a bad start, but what about killing the people who don't keep the Sabbath, or that eat shellfish, or curse their parents, or, heaven forbid, have sex before marriage (only the women, obviously)? Where are the petitions to kill those godless heathens? I applaud his initiative, but he's showing a real lack of commitment to the cause. Shit, it'll only cost him another $800 for the ones I've mentioned. Maybe he can get a kickstarter going?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, this is NOT Nighttimer asking us to sign HIS ballot proposal...

No, my ballot proposal will be to arrest Evil Dick Cheney and send him in leg irons and chains straight to The Hague to face trial for war crimes.

That, or a CIA black site someplace where some large, unfriendly men have a metal chair, a dirty towel and several gallons of water they'd like to introduce Evil Dick to.

Or maybe Gitmo because he doesn't deserve a trial. I'm not choosey. I'm sure Evil Dick will be very popular with the other detainees.

Mr. McLaughlin can keep him company. :Hug2:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
On one hand, my brain says, "This can't be legit. This is, like, satire or something, right? Like A Modest Proposal. Swift didn't actually MEAN 'let's cure starvation and overpopulation by eating babies'. No one would actually go so far as to propose a law of executing people they don't like, right? Right? *whimper*"

On the other, I can already hear the Lewis Black rant, a glorious rant to end all rants.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how the AG will title this one? "Law of Leviticus"? "Anti-Anal Sex Amendment"?

The only way I can come up with to deal with this kind of hatred is mockery. Unfortunately, people like McLaughlin are immune to shame.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only way I can come up with to deal with this kind of hatred is mockery. Unfortunately, people like McLaughlin are immune to shame.

You're much nicer than me. I go straight to the scourging, scorning and spittle. :flamethrower

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if any of the signature-gatherers who hang around outside my local grocery store with clipboards will be representing this particularly foul proposition.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
You're much nicer than me. I go straight to the scourging, scorning and spittle. :flamethrower

Oh, I'm all in favor of a good scourging. I just can't stand the squalling about "persecution" that results from it.

Personally, I can't believe that this guy isn't likely to be disbarred for promoting such an idea. One would think that calling for legalized murder would make a person's fitness for the legal profession somewhat suspect.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Matt McLaughlin is aware that sodomy is not an act promoting or endorsing homosexuality and many heterosexual couples engage in it.

Since he is a lawyer, will he defend my right to enter a bill that would demand all narrow minded, short sighted, hate mongering, bigots be skinned alive with a potato peeler and dropped in a vat of rubbing alcohol.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, like is this one of those guys who's too interested then gets caught in the woods behind the rest area with another man?

Is that really a thing?

Heh. I said thing.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I like that the system allows for such direct participation by the citizenry, and think dealing with the occasional crackpot's or homicidal asshole's proposals is just the price of having such direct and uncensored participation.

I see no real harm from this being proposed. No way it would ever get anywhere, and if it did, it would be immediately struck down as blatantly unconstitutional and a violation of human rights. This is a complete non-starter.

In fact, this is so ridiculous and over-the-top that I feel it could push people further from the mentality expressed - but it's not going to win any new hearts or minds for its own cause.

And I wouldn't want the guy disbarred. Freedom of speech and all. But I would very much like to see his case history examined for signs of bias against LGBT people. You can't publically come out for the wholesale murder of a class of people without throwing your own impartiality into question.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To directly answer the question in the thread title: Yeah, I probably would sign that petition, I don't hear well and I pretty much sign any petition just to get the weirdos away from me. Not awesome, I know. I'm so used to signing shit people hand me (I have to do it all day at work), I just do it without listening or reading.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
There's been like 5,000 years of gay sex since Sodom and Gomorrah. Since there could have been, at best, a thousand or so years of "buggery" before that (being that the Earth is only 6,000 years old) are we even sure that's why God took out the S&G?

The wrath math seems off.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, like is this one of those guys who's too interested then gets caught in the woods behind the rest area with another man?

Is that really a thing?

Heh. I said thing.

Yes you did and yes it is.

Whenever you see guys like Mr. McLaughlin whom are simply obsessed and thinking about these homosexuals and the things they do and how it creeps him out and its on his mind all the time all day long it makes you wonder why, oh, why is he on this Evil Sodomite Thing?

Then I recall something I read on The Onion one time and suddenly it all starts to make sense...:e2kissy:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
To directly answer the question in the thread title: Yeah, I probably would sign that petition, I don't hear well and I pretty much sign any petition just to get the weirdos away from me. Not awesome, I know. I'm so used to signing shit people hand me (I have to do it all day at work), I just do it without listening or reading.

Free quick legal advice: don't do that.

ETA:

I'm now picturing Diana running for political office, and in the crucial final hours of her campaign, her signature on this petition comes to light...

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I like that the system allows for such direct participation by the citizenry, and think dealing with the occasional crackpot's or homicidal asshole's proposals is just the price of having such direct and uncensored participation.
There has been such a thing, though obviously much more toned down, put on the ballot and passed in California.

But I suppose that's the price of true democracy.
To directly answer the question in the thread title: Yeah, I probably would sign that petition, I don't hear well and I pretty much sign any petition just to get the weirdos away from me.
Oh, I wonder about the names people would invent to sign on this petition. Jessica Mydeck ("Even the child's name...") indeed, and all a public record!

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score

I was thinking more like this guy will be caught in a scandal in a few years by gently tapping another man's shoe while sitting in a truck stop bathroom stall. And of course he'll claim it was all a terrible misunderstanding.