Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The story about the lily and the beetle is great too. I would love to go there someday. :)

Tep, the fact that you took the photo through a dirty window at dusk gives it a very appealing artistic effect. Sometimes less than perfect conditions yield surprising results!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! and yes, they're enormous.
I've been told the video is set to private. I'll correct that tomorrow. Thanks Haggis!

Fantastic photos and video clips, Aruna! Thank you for taking the time to share them here. It's fascinating to be transported to a part of the world many of us have never seen before. It all looks so wild and beautiful and unspoiled, at least from the perspective you've shown.

The bird in the first clip is a green heron, by the way. The same type of bird resides here in parts of Florida also. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Some white ibis, a range of stuff: :)

9-1-12217-SM-1.jpg

7-13-12079-SM.jpg

12-31-11005-SM.jpg

7-14-12040-SM.jpg

7-14-12036-SM.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a great series of shots, Dino. I like the one where the ibis is watching you through the reeds. And the close-ups really highlight those striking blue eyes, don't they?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Some white ibis I encounter are curious and brave, and I can approach them to almost touching distance for tight shots. The greater challenge is when they're on the move, as they are fast fliers difficult to track.

And yeah, those blue eyes help to accentuate their beautiful face. :)

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Great shots, SK. I especially enjoyed the "mirror" shot of the first photo, the action of the water in the second, and the "what is he doing?" look the ibis gave you through the reeds.

I was wondering, are the ibis curious and brave because they aren't used to human interaction, or because they are accustomed to it?

Thanks for sharing!

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, great videos, Aruna! I've never seen lilypads like that before, amazing! That is a very beautiful photo of them, I can't wait to see the caimans!

SK! Wonderful shots! I'm with Swach, I really liked the one where he's looking at you from behind the reeds. I don't even know if birds can make facial expressions, but that pic and the last one cracks me up. It's like he's saying, "Hey, there's that funny looking animal again wading around with us birdfolk. Hey you! You lookin' at me??"

I really liked the one where he's in the surf, too. Very cool. :)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Those photos are just spectacular, SK! Thanks!

Guyana is a wonderful place for birdwatching, and lots of American birders come to Karanambo. There was a group of them there when I was there, and I enjoyed them immensely. They had such a passion for birds -- going out in the jeep early in the morning with their huge cameras, springing up mid-meal from the dining table whenever they heard some owl or other bird's call.

Anyway, here are the caimans. Sorry again about the shaky camera!
http://youtu.be/9E42uu_Tctw

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
Cool video. It's neat how the caiman glides through the water without leaving much of a wake in its passing.

Thanks for sharing!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
SK, I love the ibis! That third shot, through the reeds, is priceless!

L.Y., the ibises are pretty used to humans, at least the ones around here. And if you go to Disney World, they'll hang around the dining areas waiting for scraps.

Aruna, the caiman is wonderful. Thanks for posting that!

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation, heyjude. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I was wondering, are the ibis curious and brave because they aren't used to human interaction, or because they are accustomed to it?

Thanks for sharing!

Glad you like the photos, Lance. As Jude points out below, some white ibis are so used to humans that they'll practically beg for food at arm's length. I don't ever target those birds. The ones that interest me most are those within their natural habitat. They're more of a challenge to capture yet still approachable compared to other shore birds.

SK! Wonderful shots! :)

More beautiful shots, SK. My favorite is the second one where the ibis is in the wave.

What fab. photos, dear Silver. Y'all rock 'n Happy New Year! :Cake:s :)

Those photos are just spectacular, SK! Thanks!

SK, I love the ibis! That third shot, through the reeds, is priceless!
Thank you all for the very nice comments, which mean a lot and help to motivate me to post more photos. :)

...Aruna, the caiman is wonderful. Thanks for posting that!
Yes! And I hope she has more footage from Guyana to share in the future.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
One of the things I find most fascinating about birds is how they interact with one another. Whenever two or more get to within close range of each other, you can bet that some form of drama is bound to unfold. At times they squawk and fight over what appears to be the most mundane of issues, such as the rights to a tiny feeding area when a nearby expanse, as far as the eye can see and empty of other birds, yields just as much food.

The most serious disagreements, I've found, are settled by a court of bird law, where jurisprudence is dispensed in short order.

Here, the accused snowy egrets both listen as the witness gives testimony before the jury while an ibis bailiff looks on:

10-23-12111-SM-2.jpg

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've got some old-fashioned analog pics of wildlife when I lived in Stony Brook, Long Island about 11 years ago. I lived about a half mile from the bay, and often walked down there with a camera. There were lots of pretty birds (I got some ugly gull pics, too), just right there as the tide came in and out. There's some reserve area (I forget its name but it should be easy enough to find) in the bay through which they have a boat tour during high tide, and I went on that once and took some good pics too. I should go through and scan/post them when I get a chance.
The bad news is I went through the whole box of pictures and only found a few Long Island pics.

The good news is I just found a whole nother box of pictures! Here's one from that boatride of "something" alight on the end of a docked boat:

bird_on_boat1.jpg

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
Nice photo, benbradley. :)

Here, the accused snowy egrets both listen as the witness gives testimony before the jury while an ibis bailiff looks on:
It's cool how you captured the humor of that photo, SK. :)

Last edited:

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Tepelus, but I've only seen them from the photos in here from SK. So I'm not sure. Thanks for sharing, Ben!

The caiman video was pretty cool. I was also impressed at how smoothly the caiman traveled through the water. Thanks Aruna!