Hardstyle and Deadmau5

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone listened to hardstyle at all? I only heard of it because Deadmau5 criticized an artist in the genre for allegedly stealing his chord progression (I use allegedly for a good reason).

It's kind of ridiculous for him to accuse people of that considering there are only a certain amount of notes in music to begin with and traditionally, chords are 3 or more notes played at the same time. There are also power chords, which are 2 notes played at the same time but those are strictly intervals (in fact, on guitar, that's how the corresponding number is read).

It's not like Deadmau5 is using a chord progression that's brand spanking new considering how old music is. It kind of disappoints me that he thought this considering his job.

Here is a link.

http://edm.com/blog/deadmau5-wildstylez

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Deadmau5 has long been known to be a prick, in the same vein (vain) as Venetian Snares.

Chord Progressions can't be copyrighted but melodic content can. If the chord progression is the melodic content and the person uses the progression as the melodic content, then yes problems can appear. But you have to be careful in how the articulation works. If the Chord Progression is hammered by eights while the other is hammered by sixteenths, then it is not a breech.

A lot of this is rebelled against in the (free)techno community and is why artists will use several names for their works.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Even with melodic content potentially being copyrightable, there still seem to be a lot of loop holes. In the end it's kind of hard to justify something like that. A case that comes to play is Joe Satriani accusing coldplay of ripping off a riff from one of his songs. I don't know much about the case in general and I don't like coldplay to begin with so I honestly don't care, but I do know that Joe settled out of court.

Deadmau5 needs to go to therapy though. Another controversial thing he did was pounce on Porter Robinson for (seemingly) saying that a club he played at in Miami was the best crowd. Deadmau5 played at that same club and he noticed people texting and doing all sorts of stuff other than dance to his music. Now I will come right out and say I don't like porter robinson at all. He disrespected a well known artist that changed my life completely but I do have to stick up for the guy on this. I'll see if I can find an article.