Inebriated adults in Upper MG

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
How far is too far in middle grade?

I am currently writing a scene in my latest upper MG humorous historical fantasy that involves my MC trying to wake up the captain of the pirate ship he's on because the captain practically drank himself into a coma.

Now, I'm going to go ahead and write it anyway because it's my story and I think kids these days are way too sheltered, but I wanted to know the opinions of mothers, teachers, and readers in general.

How do you feel about reading a scene like this? I grew up with a drug addicted alcoholic father, and to me this sort of stuff really isn't a big deal. But like I said, this generation is so sensitive, it pains me.

Thoughts on the subject? Feel free to list subjects that may make you uncomfortable and examples in other books.

Mind you, I'm writing about real pirates, not the kind glamorized by Hollywood.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say go for it. If the agent/publisher wants you to tone it down a little when you're down the line, then you can choose to or not. But I wouldn't worry about it now.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say go for it. If the agent/publisher wants you to tone it down a little when you're down the line, then you can choose to or not. But I wouldn't worry about it now.

I figured that much. I'm writing it anyway.

There are other things in this story that seem far more intense, but since you don't see a lot of this, I wondered.

There are also scenes of knives being pulled on my MC by another kid and general manhandling of my MC. Given that it does take place in a violent century, I didn't want to water it down. I never understood how such a vicious and violent profession like piracy became so bubblegum....

ETA: Billy Bones in Treasure Island practically drank himself to death, and that book was written a century ago. Books back then were more unforgiving than today. LOL

Last edited:

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
There's pirate drunkenness in Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, and in Better Nate than Ever, the mom is an alcoholic who shows up drunk at the end. I agree, go for it.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader? No kids but I was one once, long time ago. Write it, not for the 'way too sheltered' kids, but for those kids who are going to read the 'waking up a drunk authority figure' scene and have this huge wave of "It's not just me!" wash over them.
My dad was never 'almost in a coma' drunk, it was much subtler than that. It was a book, a memoir, though, that switched on the light-bulb in my head, and finally, things started to make sense.

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
It seems I've read several books where an adult was drunk. Personally, I'd be more than okay with it, but I'm unsure how a publisher would feel. I think you should write it and see how it fits with your story. You can always tone it up or down after you're done.

Good luck and happy writing, Daneila!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
As a mom, I'm fine with it. The whole don't do drugs thing starts in kindergarten and includes alcohol. This is just an object lesson about the consequences of actual legal drug use.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! My MC is very bright and street smart. His father is also a heavy drinker so he's used to that behavior from the men he's supposed to look up to. Seeing the captain blitzed out of his mind doesn't confuse him. In fact, he knows how to take charge in that situation.

The captain is a good person who broke bad, and is currently struggling with his own demons, but in the end, he redeems himself (somewhat), especially with my MC. So I thought it was important to show a moment of weakness for him, as well as a moment for my MC to take matters into his own hands.

Since I'm not a parent, I don't know how parents react. I'm surprised that so many are okay with this scenario, to be honest. I suppose that this scenario coupled with other violent scenarios might be too much. I might have to wait to get beta feedback to see how I smooth out the really sharp edges.

Last edited:

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
I think pirate drunkeness is pretty common in MG. I also just read a scene in the MG book I'm reading with my son where it's noted that the moms were all together playing cards and they were laughing too loud and not as observant. I thought it was a subtle way to describe the scene.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably fine. There are lots of drunk adults in contemporary MG, which is realistic and gritty (Shug, for example). So, if it's okay in contemporary MG, I think it'd be okay in fantasy.

I don't read a ton of fantasy, so can't provide specific examples, but I do recall that there's drinking in the Harry Potter series and in the Percy Jackson series.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad that you guys feel this way. I don't find it a big deal either. I tried toning it down by implying inebriation without directly coming out and saying it. Seems more appropriate. Now what to do about the violence.....