• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Kiwiauthor and all. Wriggle room sounds good! and such dedication in the editors sounds even better!

Thanks for getting back to me with all that information you guys. Seriously, Samhain sound fantasic, I hope they go from strength to strength.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Don't you hate when they point out to you what you failed to notice yourself? For something I submitted a so-called revision on, LOL, to another publisher I am contracted with I completely screwed up the chapter numbering. I noticed AFTER I already sent it to my editor of course. :cry:

I know - I'm staring at this glaring mistake saying, "How could I have POSSIBLY missed that!" And there's never just one - nope, she's pointed out about half a dozen. Ay yi yi... :e2smack:

I've misnumbered the chapters - what a pain in the a@@ that is...

Last edited:

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Gary, it's easy. Just go to predators and Editors, click on awards and follow the links.

tri .... best of luck. 4,668 posts, Damn! I suspect there's a queue of folks who'd like to pick your brains for info on the publishing world. :)

Last edited:

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Thanks Kiwi! I did try that before and couldn't get it working, but I figure that's coz my inertnet savvy isn't what it should be. Next time I'll do better.

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Gary, sorry! I put you wrong. Go to the P&E homepage (blue page). Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll find this link: The Preditors & Editors Readers Poll. Click. On the new page scroll to the bottom for 2006 voter's results. Samhain was nominated as the best electronic/print publisher.

Sorry about that.

Alex.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Thanks Kiwi, I'll give that a bash.

re: the samples I sent Samhain, I just recieved a request for a full from another publisher. Is that the kind of thing I should let Samhain know about? ( in the GL's, they ask for you to keep them apprised of a manuscripts status with other pub's) or do they only want to know if you've been offered a deal?

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
I currently have a ms at Samhain. Anyone know how long they're generally taking these days? :)

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Tomlin, 8-10 weeks is what they're telling folks, generally speaking. Best of luck with the sub.

Gary, your call.

I have a number of requested fulls on the same manuscript. This was made clear in my query letter to Samhain. Eve asked to be told if any of them offered a contract before she got back to me. It wasn't a big deal.

... congrats. on the second request, by the way! Mind telling who the other publisher is?

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Gary, it might not be politic to make such comaparison in public ;) From my POV (as a Samhain author) Sahain and LBF follow quite different models and both have their advantages.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Ok, I deleted it. Was I being insulting? if so I'm really sorry, I didn't know that. Jeepers, I've asked some really pointed questions about that other publisher over on thier thread ... I wasn't trying to be rude though, just trying to find out as much information as I could. I didn't know I had to sort of tread softly so to speak. Do I come across as arrogant? because I don't want to seem that way, I'd be bloody delighted for a straight dealing, author friendly publisher to take my stuff. I just thought one publisher seemed a bit more together then another in terms of access to the market thats all. Damn, do you think I've succeeded in annoying anyone?

I have no idea how to PM... I don't really know what PM is, to be honest. I feel really stupid and a bit nervous now that I've managed to hurt feelings.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea how to PM... I don't really know what PM is, to be honest. I feel really stupid and a bit nervous now that I've managed to hurt feelings.

PM just stands for Private Message. You can send a PM by clicking on a poster's name; it'll give you a menu, and private message is one of them.

Don't feel stupid, or nervous or anything. You were just thinking out loud. That's why we have the option to delete posts. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Questions are totally okay. Any publisher that objects to them is one to avoid ;)

I just avoid making better/worse comparisons that aren't about strictly objective things. Because later on the 'worse' publisher might not always appreciate it (and thanks to Google they tend to find out)

:)

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Don't feel stupid, or nervous or anything. You were just thinking out loud. That's why we have the option to delete posts. :)

Ok. Thanks for reassurance! ( and the PM info. I'm a complete trog when it comes to this interwebury stuff :))

Veinglory .... thanks again for the heads up and the bit of info. And really? Publishers might google what you've said? Cricky. What a scary concept! I shall triple think every thing i say from now on! Thanks.

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
Well, if nothing else they may just google your name to see what they see (or their own) and when I google mine I do come up with some of my AW posts. I have been a bit critical of some publishers which I hope never comes back to bite me. But a legit publisher wouldn't mind someone just asking for info.

Thanks for the reply on the time frame, Kiwi. :)

Last edited:

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory, love you to elaborate on this comment: "From my POV (as a Samhain author) Sahain and LBF follow quite different models and both have their advantages."

Where abouts in Aotearoa do you hail from? ... right, Wellington I'm thinking (Checked out your website). Do your time at uni there too?

Last edited:

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
.. did you get that PM, Gary? Oh, and any problems with 'rep. points', ask away. I'm sure Veinglory and others can explain better than me.

Just got it now Kiwi, going to see if I can get the act together sufficiently to reply in same manner.

Veinglory, not to be a brat but I'm so glad that you made a simular mistake and lived to tell the tale :0)

JR, thanks for letting me know that.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am by no means as expert so this is just what I see -- Samhain has a strong from-the-beginning emphasis on romance, strong marketing of ebooks, high output (6 book a week?) and PODs that can get in store especially if they are romance. I know less about LBF but they seem not to do ebooks, more focussed on fantasy although moving to romance, low output (6 books a year?) and maybe not in stores (I haven't seen them myself anyway). I suspect which would be best would very much depend on the book and the author. They both have strengths and would be two of the best small presses out there.

p.s. I'd like to live in Wellington but I am a Waikato grrl (Moo looooo!)

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Samhain produce six books a week??? Wow. they must have a huge[I team of editors, particularly considering the great amount of individual attention the authors there seem to recieve.