Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Question number 3 for today, sorry for being so needy today. I need an animal or fantasy creature the exemplifies the following three traits: Apathy, Greed, and Narcisism. Anyone have a thought about something that hold to all three? I can think of something for each one individually or for combinations of two, but not all three.

Trolls, like your under the bridge kind.
Unicorn gone bad
Bad dragons

Really any creature gone bad. Those seem like bad personality traits that anyone can have.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I'll bring the wife and kidlets. They love wee ones and we can sit and write. I'll clean some too. I've never been to CO and would love to see it.

It's a pretty place, no matter what season. Although I miss living in the forest like I did in Georgia.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ford- couch bad. And coffee kills your ability to sleep well.

copperbeeches

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to say dragons, too--the lazy dragon laying on its hoard, never leaving its lair, very proud of what it's accomplished. :)

I also did some research and found that the wendigo is associated with greed and excess but that doesn't seem like quite what you're looking for, and definitely not so much on the narcissism.

CJJBadger

Total newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting statistic:

Over 60% of the words in the English language originated in French. They're mainly there due to the Norman invasion of England after 1066.

Fascinating.

And another reason for me to learn French. Non?

Mais oui! I'm rather stupidly proud of that fact, as if I had anything to do with Guillaume the Conquerant invading England.

And no, there is NO reason to learn French. Because then you'd have to talk to the French, and who wants to do that?
We're adapting and learning English. To force you to talk to us. Mwahahahaha.

Gujarati's the official language of the state of Gujarat, in India. :) Mr Copper's mother is not fluent in English, and he's not particularly good at translating for us (he forgets that when talking to me, or to her, ONE of us can't understand everything that's going on!). I feel like at this point if we're going to be able to communicate effectively someone's gonna have to make an effort, s'pose it might as well be me, hah.

That's so impressive that you're trying to learn Copper! Sounds like a really hard language too! Really good on you! Mr Badger is useless at French and so far all he's learnt is to say "Eh, Bof" and shrug at me. At least that's a very french thing so I guess it's something!

No one's as bad as my grandmother though. She once tried to ask if a jumper was made of wool by waving it in the sales clerk's face and aggressively shouting "Wood? Wood??!?!". I almost fell over laughing at the poor guy's terrified face.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But...but, I want him too! Are you, gina and I going to have to death match for him?

Nope. He's mine :D

Well today starts a search for a chiropractor. I have had 4 migraines in two weeks. This is a big problem.

But I am so scared of going to a doctor. Like I am literally terrified they're going find a tumor in my head or something. I'm not normally afraid of doctors, but this time I'm worried it will be something terrible or they won't be able to find anything and thus I'll continue to hurt.

Anyway sorry, I hate talking about my health issues but this has got me all tied up in knots so yeah.

All the hugs, Kristen :heart:

There is absolutely nothing to see here. Nothing at all. :gone:

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Dragon it is. YAY!! I was trying to stay away from them, but they just fit.

Even if I quit drinking it at 10AM and go to bed at Midnight Fen?

And with that I must be off. Have to get ready for work. Have a wonderful whatever time of day it is for you!

PS 117 words so far today. Hopefully I will find motivation later tonight.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Meh, I less-than-three all of you too. :)

Tomorrow I am headed back to the surgeon so he can explain why I've been in significantly more pain during the two months since the surgery to fix my shoulder than I was in nearly two years living with a torn tendon.

The answer is likely to be some variant on: "it's an unexpected nerve thing."

What I fear is that that's going to be followed with: "we don't know how to make it stop."

So yeah, appreciate any good vibes y'all can send my way.

Will do!

copperbeeches

Registered
Reaction score
That's so impressive that you're trying to learn Copper! Sounds like a really hard language too! Really good on you! Mr Badger is useless at French and so far all he's learnt is to say "Eh, Bof" and shrug at me. At least that's a very french thing so I guess it's something!

No one's as bad as my grandmother though. She once tried to ask if a jumper was made of wool by waving it in the sales clerk's face and aggressively shouting "Wood? Wood??!?!". I almost fell over laughing at the poor guy's terrified face.

Well we'll see how far I actually get, lol. I have a textbook I found on the internet, but I'm not sure how it's going to work. Mr Copper speaks the language but can't read the script (which looks like this) so he's not going to be much help to me there.

HAH! That is super French (have seen such attitude from my own relatives. :p) And lmao at your grandmother, that's AMAZING. My grandmere learned to speak English, though always with an accent and a very French attitude. My favorite story about her was the first time she took me, at age six, to a Burger King. It was... a culture shock, I'll just say that much.

And Stanley_Ford, if they fit they fit! If you can bring something new and exciting to the table, why not? :)

CJJBadger

Total newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Woah! That's some serious alphabet! Maybe find yourself a CD of people talking because reading that would take all day just to get through a sentence... Best of luck Copper - let us know how you get on!

You're part french!Haha, I knew you were awesome ;-) Your grandmother sounds a lot like my mother. Over twenty years in England and speekz like zees - I think it must be common to most french people who move abroad. In fact, my mum tried to say "that was a bad start", and said "Zat eez a bastard." And that was only about a year ago. D'oh.

Cant' imagine how your grandmere fared in Burger King - that must have been something!!

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, I less-than-three all of you too. :)

Tomorrow I am headed back to the surgeon so he can explain why I've been in significantly more pain during the two months since the surgery to fix my shoulder than I was in nearly two years living with a torn tendon.

The answer is likely to be some variant on: "it's an unexpected nerve thing."

What I fear is that that's going to be followed with: "we don't know how to make it stop."

So yeah, appreciate any good vibes y'all can send my way.

Have you already been, Suzanne?

copperbeeches

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, I definitely will, haha. I could do well enough on pronunciation and conversation with Mr Copper, but I'm not sure if it's possible to learn a language like that without learning to read it, if you're not very young when you start.

:D The same to you, ma'am. Hah! The French, man. Well, with such a superior culture and language, why would they bother adapting...? :p

She was first of all very confused by the fact that we had to order ourselves and there were no waitresses... and then when we finally got everything settled (I ordered for her because she was totally at a loss) she unwrapped her burger, looked down at it, and wrapped it right back up again, hahaha.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

CJJBadger

Total newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Newbie question alert.

What's the etiquette with reputation thingies (points?). When you receive one do you give one back? Or PM to say thanks? Or act all cool and aloof and do nothing because you're already like, so totally awesome dude....

(I'm sure there are better places to ask this, but I feel at home here and therefore not afraid to ask my stupid newbie questions to all you lovely people...)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
The earlier conversation, combined with a PM convo with CJJ made me think about something.

The French developed the first (and only, so far as I know) universally recognized written language for the blind, Braille. The French also developed a language for the deaf that is used almost everywhere in Europe and the Americas. Yeah, the Brits developed theirs at the same time, but, due to the circumstances in how it came about, BSL is really only used in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. Even the Asian sign languages used the French model as their foundation.

I think that's pretty freaking cool, don't you? I'd be interested to understand why it played out the way it did. Is the French attitude toward the disabled different than the British or the Americans?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's the etiquette with reputation thingies (points?). When you receive one do you give one back? Or PM to say thanks? Or act all cool and aloof and do nothing because you're already like, so totally awesome dude....

Respond as you see fit - some reps might require a response, some not. How you choose to respond, if at all, is up to you.

Some have entire convos via reps, others just leave pithy comments, etc.

And there is a Rep-point centered group on AW, if you're really curious. (Well, rep-point centered in theory.)

:D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and some reps are worth more than others.

Not because some of us are more important, but just because we've been here longer.

And also are more important.

:D

copperbeeches

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the rep points too much. ;D

And that is a really interesting thought, jallenecs. I have no idea why it came about that way. I hadn't noticed a particularly different attitude among my family, but they might be the exception rather than the rule. Could be a coincidence.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Is the French attitude toward the disabled different than the British or the Americans?

The British attitude towards the disabled has been until recent times - about the last 15 years - to try and ignore them and hope they'll go away.

I know - pathetic.

Example: Only within the last few years has it become mandatory to allow for disabled access to all public buildings. When I was a kid, it was nigh on impossible to get a wheelchair into most shops, pubs, restaurants or civic buildings. When they brought the legislation in there were so many complaints it was unreal.

Not a disability (obviously, but related) I remember being told at the age of about twelve that on the Paris metro they have reserved seats for pregnant women. They still don't have that here. I was astounded at the idea.

In Britain most things are designed by able-bodied men, and that's why most things, until recently, only worked if you were fully mobile.

What's changed? There are more disabled people around with a higher profile now and we have things like the paralympic games.

Status
Not open for further replies.