Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
So... Do y'all think that there are really people out there who truly believe that the world is going to end tomorrow? I feel sorry for those people.

Basing things on past events... Yeah. They are out there. At least three or four apocalypse cults have already pulled the trigger on themselves when the expected end of days failed to materialize, and I can see more trouble ahead if there are groups of idiots gathering to see in the final days.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People need to believe in fantasy. It's what makes us human. (~DEATH)

You know, I understand that the devil is in the details but maybe you should just get it out there now.

Or maybe I have the wrong end of the chewy bar and the title is more important than I think.

Oh, and you were after topics -> time (or thyme if you prefer)

Well I do plan to post it today. And I think BW is right about the other S.

Super story swap
Stupendous story swap
Use Secret twice?
Spiffy Story swap
Storyswapformerlyknownassecretsanta story swap.

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends!

I'm feeling better. Got meds to make the scratchy throat go away.

So... Do y'all think that there are really people out there who truly believe that the world is going to end tomorrow? I feel sorry for those people.

ION, I have hot coco. :)

There are. Speaking of the end of the world. How's the snow in CO?

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends!

I'm feeling better. Got meds to make the scratchy throat go away.

ION, I have hot coco. :)

But if it does end tomorrow, then boy is your face red :D

To be on the safe side, however, I'm polishing off my chocolate cookies. Can't let them go to waste in a nuclear dystopia.

Aaaand my GP had no idea what's up with my finger. Nothing is broken, but all three joints/tendons are affected and she has no idea what's causing it. Have to come back tomorrow.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Basing things on past events... Yeah. They are out there. At least three or four apocalypse cults have already pulled the trigger on themselves when the expected end of days failed to materialize, and I can see more trouble ahead if there are groups of idiots gathering to see in the final days.

My dad used to misquote Arthur C. Clarke (I think it was him), particularly when it came to the end of term, and he had final grades to give out: "People are not only stupider than you can imagine, they're stupider than you CAN imagine."

Grade time always put my dad in a fatalistic, misanthropic mood. My mother always dealt with end of term grades more directly; if any angry parents called the house (and they invariably did), we were to tell them that she had recently A ) joined the circus, B ) been stolen away by gypsies, or C ) gone on a killing spree and wouldn't be home for the foreseeable future.

Yes. I believe there are nuts out there just that panicky and silly. Then again, it's not all bad. The Y2K panic got my brother-in-law his first really nice job at the bank; he was hired to get their computers and ATM's rolled over to the new software. If nothing else, it's an excuse for a nice "we got through another apocalypse" party. :D

ETA: we didnt' really tell them that she'd gone on a killing spree. Just that she wasn't home. Even at midnight. Which people DID call that late.

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
It fell most of the day yesterday and now it's really cold outside.

We're expected to see some of it tomorrow. But only after massive amounts of rain. Glad to have the snow, not glad to have icy roads, and driveway, and power lines, and trees. If I'm not on it probably won't be because the world ended but because the power lines were demolished by some tree or idiot driving too fast and crashing into a utility pole.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Gais! Gais! If time it perfectly for when all of my painkillers are doing their best work, I can swallow liquids again! :partyguy:It does hurt, but it's down to a manageable amount of pain, which is much better than yesterday. I don't even care that hot liquids are still too painful- I had my first glass of water since Sunday, dammit, I am a happy woman.

Oh, and breathing no longer hurts. It's uncomfortable, but it doesn't hurt. :hooray:

Man, those healing smibbles really work, don't they?

*hilarious Bel-Air parody snipped*

:roll: That was the best thing ever to wake up to xD

My preacher gave me the coolest Christmas gift: a fountain pen and ink. He has a terrific collection of antique and modern fountain pens, and he was very admiring of my two lonely pens. So he gave me a new one.

That is kickass.

Back from work, did anybody miss me :p

Meeeeeee I missed youuuuu *tacklehugsnugglenuzzleYAY*

IToday was a day of sad. We laid my friend to rest. I was honored to be asked to be a pallbearer. I was just very glad my work let me have the extra hour I needed to be able to do it.

... :Hug2:s and more, Stan. Much much more.

This is so true. I have a sad.

In marginally related news, I woke up with a blinding pain in my left index finger. Now, I usually wake up with pain in my joints because of fibro and assorted fun stuff, but this is a whole other level. It won't go away and it makes tears spring to my eyes every time I move it too much. When I tried to put my bra on, it shot all the way to my wrist and I damn near passed out. So I'm thinking maybe a muscle or tendon issue, yes? But what did I doooo? :eek:

Owch! Hugs to youuu! :Hug2:

So... Do y'all think that there are really people out there who truly believe that the world is going to end tomorrow?

There are a lot of laughably crazy groups we don't even know about, big and small, who think the world is going to end in oddly specific ways on oddly specific dates. The 2012 crowd are just a particularly well-known bunch.

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Gais! Gais! If time it perfectly for when all of my painkillers are doing their best work, I can swallow liquids again! :partyguy:It does hurt, but it's down to a manageable amount of pain, which is much better than yesterday. I don't even care that hot liquids are still too painful- I had my first glass of water since Sunday, dammit, I am a happy woman.

Oh, and breathing no longer hurts. It's uncomfortable, but it doesn't hurt. :hooray:

Man, those healing smibbles really work, don't they?

YAY for eating and drinking.

Speaking of drinking, slow coffee maker needs to quit being so slow.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
:hi:

:Hug2: to all.

My holiday travel plans have indeed shifted. *shakes fists at incoming snowstorm* Ah well. I'll still see my folks, just for less time.

OTOH, I can work on my novel and clean the house Friday night and Saturday.

Tonight, I go to my brother's company's holiday party.

Also, I have butterscotch Krimpets.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Ali, why are you flailing?

To be honest. I can't remember. :Shrug:

Er, I think I'd better add this.

Now my stress level is evaporating down to zero I am likely to go hyper out the other side. You folks best take me with a pinch of salt or something for the next few hours. I might not be entirely here. Oh, and I am consuming sugar and beer right now - not a wise combination. I also have Marvin Gaye, but he's probably ok for my system.

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

:Hug2: to all.

My holiday travel plans have indeed shifted. *shakes fists at incoming snowstorm* Ah well. I'll still see my folks, just for less time.

OTOH, I can work on my novel and clean the house Friday night and Saturday.

Tonight, I go to my brother's company's holiday party.

Also, I have butterscotch Krimpets.

YAY for writing. Booo for not getting to see parents for the length of time you had planned.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
They do don't they, and I am glad you are starting to feel better. have a gentle :Hug2: and a :Coffee:

Thank yews :3

YAY for eating and drinking.

Speaking of drinking, slow coffee maker needs to quit being so slow.

Well, just drinking for now. As soon as water wasn't agonizing I made jello, so in a few hours we'll find out whether that's too painful to swallow and if not, I might attempt small amounts of real food. :) It's very trial-and-error atm.

Ah yes, and you know the antdote to slow coffee makers is to brew it the old-fashioned way xD Boiling pot o' water, pan of roasted coffee beans and a mortar and pestle :D

And RT, Yay for feeling a bit better!

Tank ya!

Hopefully this means I'll be well enough to haul a basket of laundry to the laundromat in the next few days. That's kind of important. :D

No word on when I'll be allowed strenuous activity again yet, without which I'm going a liiiiiiiittle bit stir crazy, but I'll take my victories where I can get 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.