Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
My third "nicely written but didn't quite win me over" form R from Lightspeed after 3 days. I'm starting a little collection, which I will roast over a slow flame after I finally score an acceptance from this market. ;)
Nice! Don't suppose you have any published works online I could read? Always curious about what other AW'ers are packin'.

Last edited:

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Tight, back-slapping bro-hugs to Simon and Michael. Those are tough Rs. But Deadlight, you're too talented to not open the curtains and let the rare English sunlight in.

And commiserations to the other Rs, as well, everyone.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Crickets now, but I'm overdue at Apex, Strange Horizons, Stupefying Stories, and Pseudopod. And I'm coming up on my DSF and Analog any day now, not to mention the unknowns floating around in oblivion. I have a feeling this'll be another tidal wave. :/

Can't wait to read about your Apex acceptance in the Braggage thread!

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the commisses - but I think I must have pissed off God today.

Personal R from A Cap Zoo. It made the board discussion and they seemed to like it, but not enough to publish. Bummer.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
8-day first reader form from Strange Horizons and a 0-day detailed personal from a new semipro called "Plasma Frequency." I was thrilled at the speed of the turnaround and they had mostly kind things to say about the story, but numerous grammar mistakes in their rejection letter make me leery of submitting there again.

sammyjwebb

Registered
Reaction score
land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
8-day first reader form from Strange Horizons and a 0-day detailed personal from a new semipro called "Plasma Frequency." I was thrilled at the speed of the turnaround and they had mostly kind things to say about the story, but numerous grammar mistakes in their rejection letter make me leery of submitting there again.

Sorry about the R and thanks for the heads up. I was looking at them yesterday.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
106-day rejection from AE: The Canadian Science Fiction Review. I've been kind of preparing myself for it, so it wasn't a big blow. I'm just relieved I can finally send it out again.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
106-day rejection from AE: The Canadian Science Fiction Review. I've been kind of preparing myself for it, so it wasn't a big blow. I'm just relieved I can finally send it out again.
Got a 48-day form-R from them today, too. :( Commiserations.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Got a 48-day form-R from them today, too. :( Commiserations.

At least you can take comfort in the fact that maybe they just rejected you because they needed more Canadian content. I always think I should have more of an edge with markets looking for submissions from Canadian authors (like this one and OnSpec), but so far it hasn't translated to sales.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
got an R from SH today, which was sigh inducing moreso because last one was all nice and personal and said 'submit again in a week' and this one was all form and 'don't submit for three weeks.'

Hangs pen in shame.

Steely

Registered
Reaction score
The greatest rejection I've ever gotten was a follows:

"Not for me. ~Agent"

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
The greatest rejection I've ever gotten was a follows:

"Not for me. ~Agent"

Sounds like an agent I've spoken with before.

Rejections as of late:

0-day Camroc Press (Awaken To Death) Personal
12-day Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine (^) Form, 1st Readers
18-day Daily Science Fiction (For the Love of Science) Form

The only "personal" I got was telling me that it was "Noir,not literary."

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
1-week R from the After Death...Anthology.

It was a lengthy response actually. Basically, my story didn't quite fit the theme they were trying to build, but they enjoyed reading it.

So that's something! Off to find a new home for it.

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for all of the rejections, guys! :cry:

I'm afraid I'm among the ranks of the as-of-yet unpublished in terms of fiction, Marzioli. (Although I have some hope on a rewrite request I haven't heard back on...fingers crossed.)

I could shoot you a link to some poetry if you like that kind of thing.

Thanks for the heads up on Plasma Frequency, Alex.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
At least you can take comfort in the fact that maybe they just rejected you because they needed more Canadian content.
Actually, that's exactly what the PS said. "This was an amazing story, but you're not Canadian, so no thanks." :D... Not really... :/

I'm afraid I'm among the ranks of the as-of-yet unpublished in terms of fiction, Marzioli. (Although I have some hope on a rewrite request I haven't heard back on...fingers crossed.)
Wow, you're off to a great start! And the last time I wrote poetry was in HS (not of the emo persuasion, thankfully), so I wouldn't know how to make heads or tails of it. However, if you're just starting off and getting second tiers from Lightspeed, I have no doubt I'll be seeing something soon.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Another form R from One Buck Horror.

Anyone know anything about McSweeney's? I know they are incredibly slothful, but mine just went In-progress and a batch just got R'd on DT. Are they slow before or after opening the file?

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, just got my Buzzy rejection as well. 11 day form. I'm not surprised, as it was a dark fantasy and I don't really think that's what they're looking for.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, mine was also a dark fantasy. I'm going to go with that being the reason for my rejection too. :D

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
9-day form from Buzzy, also for a dark fantasy story (flash). The last one I tried them with was a light/funny story. Not sure what it is they're after, but will send something else when it frees up from other markets.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
8-day at Buzzy for heartwarming fantasy. It's a rejection massacre over there.

Also a 3-day Clarkesworld and 2-day Apex this week. Expecting an R from A&A soon, as they appear to be on the move.