Rejectomancy

Mad Rabbits

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got my R from Stupefying Stories at 85 days.

Mr Bethke wrote me a very nice response:

"After reading and discussing it, and then holding it for further consideration, we've decided it's not right for us at this time. Good luck placing it elsewhere. You write very well and we liked this one a lot, but in the final analysis we receive far more good stories than we have space to publish, and we end up having to split some pretty fine hairs to separate the stories we really like from the stories we love. In the final cut, I'm afraid this one ended up on the out side. Send us another one."

Does that mean it got passed to the final round? That is encouraging. Although I'm not sure where to send it next!

Commiserations on the Rs everyone.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Alex...thanks for the advice. Just checked their guidelines, and they say they usually respond within 30 days but to query after...<drumroll>...60 days. I think I'll do that. Hopefully it didn't get lost, but you never know.

Good luck, and let us know what they say!

I'm at 38 days there myself and getting very twitchy.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Just got a very nice personal from Lightspeed that boosted my spirits and increased my confidence for this new story. Can't wait to send it out again.

And yes, it was the one in which I accidentally left the "Dear Editor Person" part blank. :tongue

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score

"After reading and discussing it, and then holding it for further consideration, we've decided it's not right for us at this time. Good luck placing it elsewhere. You write very well and we liked this one a lot, but in the final analysis we receive far more good stories than we have space to publish, and we end up having to split some pretty fine hairs to separate the stories we really like from the stories we love. In the final cut, I'm afraid this one ended up on the out side. Send us another one."

Does that mean it got passed to the final round? That is encouraging. Although I'm not sure where to send it next!

To me that sounds like the best possible rejection you could receive, I'd be very encouraged! They said some very positive things!

phineas12gauge

Registered
Reaction score

That's a pretty sweet rejection ... particularly the 'send us another one' part :)

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I was one of the inaugural sacrificial lambs for Nightmare. A 1/2-day R.

Congrats on being among the first to submit. All of the stories of mine which might be appropriate are already out on sub, so I get to wait around for my first Nightmare rejection. :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
32-day FFO rejection just when I was starting to get my hopes up.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I was one of the inaugural sacrificial lambs for Nightmare. A 1/2-day R.

Geez, sorry to hear that! I hope you have better luck with the next place you send it too.

And Mazoli and gettingby, sorry to hear about your FFO Rs. I have a story with them and the flood of rejections is making me pretty nervous.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Condolences for the recent rejections. I'm sure I'll be joining you here again soon.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
7-day R from DSF. Feeling discouraged today. Blah.

Last edited:

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Woke up to a very disappointing rejection from Bloodstones anthology in Aus. It's one of my two favorite stories circulating and the submission call sounded like the story would fit like a glove. Guess not.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
This is what I get for subbing to long term markets...

Even after a vacation, still crickets. *Chirp, chirp, chirp.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Woke up to a very disappointing rejection from Bloodstones anthology in Aus. It's one of my two favorite stories circulating and the submission call sounded like the story would fit like a glove. Guess not.

I'm waiting to hear from them too. Rejections suck, but getting rejected from an anthology that seems like a perfect fit has an extra sting to it.

30-day rejection from Gumshoe Review. It was a nice personal rejection explaining why it got the boot. The story I sent them is kind of a sci-fi mystery, so I think I'm going to mail it off to F&SF next.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
14-day form R from SH. They seem to be slowing down; I saw a 30-day R on duo--yikes!

I'm thinking Clarkesworld then perhaps Fantasy-faction contest, although I dislike how they'll accept six stories, but only pay for three of them.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
69 days to the "We liked this one a lot, but in the final analysis we receive far more good stories than we have space to publish and have to make some tough choices between the stories we really like and the stories we absolutely love." form from Stupefying.

This story is suspense, not SF/F. I don't know what to do with it next because I don't read suspense markets and don't normally write the stuff. This one just.. happened.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And here comes a 117-day form R from Kaleidotrope.

Looks like I'm getting a bunch of dead crickets for Father's Day.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear from them too. Rejections suck, but getting rejected from an anthology that seems like a perfect fit has an extra sting to it.

Yeah. I usually bounce pretty good but I'm still a bit surprised by that one today. Not even a personal note. Oh well, the price to pay for feeling more confident than usual.

Sorry to everyone in the most recent slew of rejections. Some of those longer waits are rough.