The Walking Dead - AMC

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I have a question. I remember a part of the season 2 trailer. Wasn't there a scene with Shane running, chased by walkers? Also a scene where the group is surrounded and Rick says, "I'm tired of being quiet!".
I remember that. I think that was filmed before they started shooting the season episodes, and while they were still working the season's storylines. It doesn't really fit into any of the episodes, but that scene of Shane running from a mob of walkers captured the atmosphere of the show.

There's so much soap opera on a show like this, it always gets to me when they have a scene that reminds you it's horror. Andrea's scenes in the season finale were like that -- alone, near exhaustion, lost in the woods, running from the slow but absolutely relentless walkers. Being pursued in a dark wood by monsters that want to eat you is purely nightmarish.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But I don't like Carl that much, mainly as he was the reason why Dale died.
The reason Dale died is, once they started living at the farm, the group apparently forgot everything they'd learned about walkers (and the attack on the quarry camp that killed several in the group) and didn't make the place defensible. It could have been any random walker coming out of the woods that got Dale; just happened to be the one that Carl had encountered.

(And Carl was allowed to run loose in walker-infested woods by the same dad that let him walk right up to a wild buck like he was at a petting zoo.)

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
. Andrea's scenes in the season finale were like that -- alone, near exhaustion, lost in the woods, running from the slow but absolutely relentless walkers. Being pursued in a dark wood by monsters that want to eat you is purely nightmarish.

Some of the finest scenes in the show so far, IMO.

And Dale died because Carl didn't stay in the goddamn house.

OC-138

Registered
Reaction score
Andrea, now there is another one who needs to die. What an annoying character she is.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Now Andrea's grown on me a lot the last few episodes. I long for the cool, competent Andrea from the graphic novels, which, judging by her kicking zombie ass in the woods in the finale, is a strong possibility.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah! That scene recently mentioned (the promo for Season 2 that showed Shane running from a pack of walkers) may have been part of the season's original opening.

I know they were filming just a couple of blocks from where I live, but never spotted it in the season. Maybe I'll see my neighborhood on the Blu-Ray deleted scenes!

Justin Bossert

Registered
Reaction score
Not a big Andrea fan at all but the kid drives me nuts. Actually, not crazy about Rick's wife either. The list of those I like isn't all that long, come to think of it. I love the show though. We've got Dish, which has dropped AMC, so we're looking at Direct Tv. With the Sunday Ticket I see it as a win-win. My wife might need some convincing but I think she's on board too.

Nataanii

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I MISS, MISS, MISS The Walking Dead. It;s like Sundays are boring without this show....and I am going to miss seeing Shane on there though. Rick, I'm sorry to say, I don't think Rick can make it and help everyone else make it without Shane. Shane was the one really holding things together there and half the stuff he said was making sense.....JMO

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just got the Blu-Ray box of Season 2.

I think I can say this without spoiling anything: If you watch the lengthy deleted scene from the season's first episode ("What Lies Ahead"), you'll get some insight into the later episode "Nebraska". Specifically, why Glenn and Rick are extremely wary about strangers.

knporter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
knporter.blogspot.com
I read the Article in Entertainment Weekly about the show (Great Article by the way). It seems like season three is going to be much more action packed then season two was. I particularly enjoy Daryl Dixon's hillbilly ass although now that Michonne is going to be in Season three she make take the "Ass kicking" attention away from good ole Daryl. Looking forward to Season Three Yippeeeee

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Are there plenty of extras on the discs to make it worthwhile?
Well, there are commentary tracks for several episodes, and a number of featurettes, which I haven't watched yet; wanted to re-watch all the episodes first.

A note about the Blu-Ray: you may notice a certain graininess to the picture. Why, you might ask, isn't my Blu-Ray picture crystal-clear? It's because they shoot the show on 16mm film; they want that slight graininess. Gives it kind of a raw, almost cinema verite feel. I guess. Anyway, I've come to like it.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm watching the discs, and am struck again by one storyline they really should have done differently. The way Shane and Rick treat their prisoner, Randall, makes zero sense. They're trained police officers. I just hate when law enforcement characters act like amateurs.

But, overall it's still a hell of a show. Like watching a slow train wreck, how there's an endless chain of bad decisions. Amazing any of the group is alive at the end of the season.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I was just reading an article about how The Walking Dead was almost produced by HBO instead of AMC. Wouldn't that have been great? They treat their shows right.

There was a lot of character drama in Season 2, but their reduced budget was really showing.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
IIRC, the HBO angle was played up when the show was initially mooted - most likely by Wizard (which felt like it was turning into a film and television magazine at that point).

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Is it back yet?? Crap, we have another month to go, don't we? :e2bummed:

BloodSpatterAnalyst

"AA" stands for Authors Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
I just went out and bought the 2nd season on bluray today.:snoopy:

I'm really excited for season 3 to begin next month. I haven't read the graphic novels so I don't know what is supposed to happen, so that adds to the Suspense.

I'm curious to see how the show will do without Shane playing the part of the antihero.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm really excited for season 3 to begin next month. I haven't read the graphic novels so I don't know what is supposed to happen, so that adds to the Suspense.
Well, they've departed quite a bit from the graphic novels -- rearranged the order of some events, kept some characters alive longer (or shorter) than in the comics, added new tv characters and left out some comic book characters. You can really enjoy them as separate works.

BloodSpatterAnalyst

"AA" stands for Authors Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Manuel, I'll be sure to check them out soon. I've been meaning to for quite some time now, but life keeps getting in the way.

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiding from mountain trolls. Do you smell fish?
Trying to do the live streaming thing that AMC is offering for the unlucky Dish fans so I can watch the premier, but all I'm getting is a blank white screen. I'm wondering if it's on my end or theirs? Reading some comments on the site has me thinking it might be theirs, since others are having the same problem.

This is actually really frustrating for me, as I've been looking forward to the return of Walking Dead for months now, only to find out a couple of hours ago that my satellite provider apparently doesn't have AMC anymore. My only choices now are either see if the streaming sorts itself out, or wait until however long it takes to get it online.

I really hope things get sorted out within...5 minutes. Not looking too promising though. Gonna try again here in a moment.

ETA: Yes! I'm watching it now. Whoo!

ETA: And my internet decided not to cooperate with me, so it looks like I'll be forced to wait after all. *sigh*

Last edited: