F1 2013

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Can you believe?

The FIA has given Mark Webber a 10 spot grid penalty for riding back to the pits on Alonzo's car at race end.

Unbelievable.

The single most public display of good sportsmanship I have ever witnessed during an F1 event... and those morons hand out penalties.

*gah*

More news: Juan Pablo Montoya (you killed my race car - prepare to die) who still holds F1 records for fastest laps at many tracks (and is definitely a teddy bear) will not return to Nascar in 2014 but has signed a contract to race Indycar. I like that he's going back to open wheel, but I hate that he never got that oval win. =)

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
More news: Juan Pablo Montoya (you killed my race car - prepare to die) who still holds F1 records for fastest laps at many tracks (and is definitely a teddy bear) will not return to Nascar in 2014 but has signed a contract to race Indycar. I like that he's going back to open wheel, but I hate that he never got that oval win. =)

No, but he did cause on of the most spectacular wrecks in NASCAR history.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Can you believe?

The FIA has given Mark Webber a 10 spot grid penalty for riding back to the pits on Alonzo's car at race end.

Unbelievable.

Apparently it's a mandatory penalty for a third infringement. Still stinks though.

Wasn't the most fascinating race in the world. I'm almost wishing for crashes these days to spice things up - the influence of the safety car was the most interesting thing that happened yesterday.

I say "almost" because I don't want anyone to get hurt - but I do want to see drivers pushing hard, taking risks, and making mistakes. This season it seems to be 10% push and 90% look after the tyres/save fuel/don't damage the gearbox/etc...

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
No, but he did cause on of the most spectacular wrecks in NASCAR history.
I know it wasn't his fault, but one of the worst days of my TV watching career was when the cable company changed out my DVR and I lost the saved footage of JPM setting the Daytona Motor Speedway on fire--literally :D. That was hilarious, though it wouldn't have been if anyone had gotten hurt. They didn't though, and the fireball plus the running river of fire would have made any Hollywood special effects wizard proud. Which driver was it who pulled out a phone and started tweeting a running commentary (after all the cars had been stopped--no texting & driving in NASCAR :tongue). Then the cherry on the sundae was bringing out the Tide powder detergent to finish the cleanup (best product placement evah ;)).

I spent two days trying to figure out how to transfer the saved track fire footage off that stupid DVR, but extensive googling turned up no one who could figure out a way to do it with that model. Oh well.

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Vettel. Schumy is a great driver - it is not all about the car - but Vettel is just too fast. I don't think he has the racecraft that all those years of experience would bring, but that's not an issue when he's half a minute down the racetrack.

It was a more entertaining race yesterday, thanks mainly to the fire truck... I was gutted for Mark though. If he hadn't been behind Perez when the tyre failed he might well have been on for a podium.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
'Gutted for Mark' kinda sums up his entire F1 career for me. =(

Okay, almost off topic... but has anyone seen RUSH yet?
I really need to know why it's rated R (prolly not for Racecars?)
My friend has a 13year old F1 fan that will not stop asking to see it...

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I've seen it - it's excellent.

The R would be for gore. There are some pretty harrowing shots of injuries, including Niki Lauda's burns, and one really icky-squicky scene during his rehabilitation that is just stomach-turning. We're not talking horror-movie splatter, it's visceral and realistic, and all the more icky-squicky for it.

SPOILER: they have to use a vacuum device to clear fluid from Lauda's lungs. It's a great big piece of metal tubing they shove down his throat, and you hear him gagging and wincing as it sucks out blood and pus, which you see splattering into a collection jar. Then they pull the thing out, and you think it's over, and he croaks for them to do it again. The camera doesn't linger as much the second time, but it is still horrible to watch (which is the whole point).

There's also a fair amount of implied sex and a small amount of casual swearing (couple of f-bombs). Plus everyone smokes, which seems like it automatically gets you a rating these days...

But. It is a really good film - I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I think pretty much any F1 fan would find something to like.

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to Murray Walker, the voice of Formula one, who celebrates his 90th birthday today. (I wrote a blog post about him)

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
TV still stuck on the same channel :tongue. Luckily, I kind of like Vettel. Feel bad for Hamilton, though.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
For those who follow me on twitter will know I do a daily "On this day" segment. And I had to get this one in for today. I loved that race. One of the best and most emotional for me.

On this day: In 1996 Damon Hill won the Japanese Grand Prix and the World Championship, his first and only one. It brought tears to my eyes.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
TV still stuck on the same channel :tongue. Luckily, I kind of like Vettel. Feel bad for Hamilton, though.

I don't dislike Vettel, but it's old and it's boring.

I'm finding myself watching everything from p1 down, because that's the only interesting thing there is to watch.

For the next race why don't we just say Seb won,
give him the trophy before it starts,
and tell him to park the car.

Then, there might be a real race on the track.

:Shrug:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I gotta admit, I really wanted Webber to win today. Not that I'm bored with Vettel winning or anything. Well, actually come to think of it, yeah, pretty boring. But there are good fights going on down the field.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm finding myself watching everything from p1 down, because that's the only interesting thing there is to watch.

That's been pretty much the last five seasons, hasn't it?

Not saying you're wrong, because I'm doing the same thing. I can't actually remember a recent race where there was a close battle for the lead.

(You could almost make an argument that this has pretty much always been the case with F1, and that's it's a feature, not a bug...)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Let's go Max!
Let's go Max!
Let's go Max!
Just one more race!
(and he'll break the record for most consecutive finishes by a rookie!)

WooHoo!

Anyone else with me? We could start a movement, a revolution! Just think of all the anxiety and excitement we could build up for the next race! Yessiree! I'm on the very edge of my seat here. I'm gonna count down every lap! We could make it a drinking game! One shot a lap! Let's go Max! Let's go Max!

*suggestions, polite or otherwise, that i need to get a life should be pm'd please*

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm going to say congratulations to Seb. RBR and Newey's cars have given him opportunities, and he's gone out and made the absolute best of them. He's a great driver.

I don't disagree that it would be a more entertaining spectacle if there was more of a challenge. Really, since the mid-season break it's been Seb vs Seb. But I don't think that diminishes the scale of his achievement.

Now for something really controversial... Kelly, who's your favourite Marussia driver? Dashing Jules or Consistent Max? :D

wilchris

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I gotta admit, I really wanted Webber to win today. Not that I'm bored with Vettel winning or anything. Well, actually come to think of it, yeah, pretty boring. But there are good fights going on down the field.
Webber has had some really crap luck this season - that and the fact he can't start!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
who's your favourite Marussia driver? Dashing Jules or Consistent Max? :D

Give me a second here to hang up my Minardi Fan Club Jacket...

It's a very difficult choice.

Max Chilton has proven that he can finish, and that he can take care of his car - something a lot of F1 drivers never figure out. The question becomes one of whether or not his driving is just too cautious or is it the car that's consistency slow?

Jules Bianchi, on the other hand, has been pretty consistent in out qualifying and finishing ahead of Max (when he finishes) and occasionally ahead of arch rival Caterham. This means to me that the kid has been able to finish higher than the car should have - another excellent quality in a driver (ala Nico Hulkenberg).

If I were Marussia? I'd probably do what I could to keep Max.
(which they have not done yet) Jules is going to get other offers, but Max has saved the team a ton of money.
Being a race car driver is taking a risk... but the more you drive, the more you learn when to tale those risks. I'm leaning towards Max (and btw, Max isn't difficult at all to look at.) I hope he gets a ride. =)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Yeah, I'm actually warming to Max as the season goes on. I was very much caught up in the Bianchi whirlwind at the start, but Max's consistency is really impressing me.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
The shot of Kimi getting in his SUV was priceless. Now I know what a $15 million hissy fit looks like. I'll never get to throw one myself, so I may as well enjoy someone else's. :D