Rejectomancy

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I confess, I read that description on Duotrope and had absolutely zero clue what they wanted. Maybe that makes me dense. But I just put them on my mental "skip over these folks" list. Maybe once there are a couple of sample issues (I assume there aren't any yet?) to review I'd be able to get a better sense of what they want.
Just write something along the lines of Fountainhard or Atlas Shrugged and you'll be fine. :D (it sounds like they're Ayn Rand fans)

Sorry about the R, Izatright. :(

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Uh oh, do you know something i don't? :eek: (or is there an extra z in there?)

I'm still in cricketville here.
Oops, my bad. Someone needs to change the first letters of their username so I won't get confused. :tongue

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, my bad. Someone needs to change the first letters of their username so I won't get confused. :tongue
Lol, thank you. And if I could change my username without having to re-register, I certainly would! I, too, was thinking they might have some sort of affiliation with a philosophical or religious organization. I'm not familiar enough with Ayn Rand to have made a connection though.

Mhaynes, I faced a similar dilema. However, my story was basically about individuals choosing to remain positive, in contrast to the self-destructive, hopelessness of the majority. So I figured that fit well enough. In the very least, I figured they could only say no. I'm wary of slow new market responses, but fast-response new markets are right up my alley.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Lol, thank you. And if I could change my username without having to re-register, I certainly would!
You can change your username without having to re-register, if you really want to (though there's nothing wrong with Izatright :)).

If you do want to change your username let me know via PM or in thread and i can ask one of the admins to do the change for you.

As a note: i changed my username a couple years back and i think there are still some peeps who don't know i'm the same person.:)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
As a note: i changed my username a couple years back and i think there are still some peeps who don't know i'm the same person.:)
Thanks, Izz, pm sent. Of course, this isn't to imply there's anything wrong with usernames starting with i and z ;).

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm new here and am enjoying the forums. It's good to know that many others feel like Charlie Brown standing by the mailbox waiting for a letter from the red-haired girl.

I have 5 submissions out at the moment. Black Static (45 days), LORE (57 days), One Buck Horror (only 8 days), Shock Totem (40 days), and Buzzy Mag (only 18 days). Prior to those I'd only submitted 2 stories ever. So I'm 0 for 2 right now.

Does anyone have experience with LORE? I submitted to them on November 12 and on Duotrope there are at least 7 responses posted for submissions made AFTER mine. 2 were submitted 8 days after I submitted my story. I'm trying to take this as a good sign, i.e. my story made it past the slush pile!! Could be wishful thinking, of course. They have little info on their submissions page about response time (it says "up to 2 months") and there's no way to track. So I wondered if you guys have any experience with them.

Good luck to everyone and mad hugs to all those who need them!

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've sent one thing to Lore. I got a form after 63 days.

It was on the 12th of December. It's still there on duo, near the bottom of the list.

Good luck with yours.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with LORE? I submitted to them on November 12 and on Duotrope there are at least 7 responses posted for submissions made AFTER mine. 2 were submitted 8 days after I submitted my story. I'm trying to take this as a good sign, i.e. my story made it past the slush pile!! Could be wishful thinking, of course. They have little info on their submissions page about response time (it says "up to 2 months") and there's no way to track. So I wondered if you guys have any experience with them.
I've sent them something once, got a 54-day rejection, but that was back in November. Response times sometimes vary. I'd imagine they're a bit backed up since most take off for the holidays.

Anyway, good luck!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, bollocks.

Just got a form from DSF.
And I thought they would like that one.
Shows what I know.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Just got a form from DSF.
And I thought they would like that one.
Shows what I know.

Sorry to hear about the R. You'll get them another time!

Just curious, did you send back out that one flash I read last month? I really liked it and would be interested to hear where it ends up.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I sent it where you suggested FFO.

I didn't do any subbing over Christmas. So by the time I got round to it I reckoned that FFO would have forgotten about the withdrawal I did.
It went to them on the first, so it's only been 6 days.

It's one that's been at Stupefying Stories for 75 days that's screwing with my head the most.
Are they considering it?
Have they lost it?
Did they send an R that I didn't receive?
I don't know...
I'm going to ask if it gets to 100.
Lol

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Yes, I sent it where you suggested FFO.

I didn't do any subbing over Christmas. So by the time I got round to it I reckoned that FFO would have forgotten about the withdrawal I did.
It went to them on the first, so it's only been 6 days.

It's one that's been at Stupefying Stories for 75 days that's screwing with my head the most.
Are they considering it?
Have they lost it?
Did they send an R that I didn't receive?
I don't know...
I'm going to ask if it gets to 100.
Lol

Good luck with FFO! I've got one sitting there, too. It's over three weeks, so I'm getting a bit antsy, hoping that maybe there's good news coming.

As far as Stupefying Stories, from the response I got to my own query, it sounds like they got a lot of pieces late last year. They were hoping to get replies out by mid-month to ones they were still considering (at least for ones which had been there as long as mine -- a couple of weeks LESS than yours). So, I'd say if you haven't heard anything by the end of the month it would definitely make sense to query -- and that would be your 100 days. How about that! ;)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Stupefying Stories is showing movement on Duotrope. If you figure those figures are only 10% (ish) there've been around 60 responses (e)mailed in the past couple of days.

Unfortunately, my story is smack dab in the middle of the "no, thanks" zone and not nearly into the "we're considering this" zone. If it gets an R it won't be much of a surprise. The story I sent them was considerably longer than what they say is the max they've published so far. But it was worth a shot, anyway.

Aggy, crickets, crickets everywhere and no response in sight :p

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Sorry about the R, Lillie. Good luck with the flash at FFO and your story at Stupefying Stories. Same to you, Michael!I submitted there a few days ago, so it looks I have a bit of a wait. :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Meh. Form R from Earthbound. The last time I submit to their monthly contest; I can tell they like that literary stuff that's neither story nor interesting.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do they?

I'll have to try them. I have stuff that's neither story nor interesting.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Meh. Form R from Earthbound. The last time I submit to their monthly contest; I can tell they like that literary stuff that's neither story nor interesting.
*hugs*

The story they bought from me was quite clearly not literary, for the record. It was absurd and humorous.

*hugs* for the R, too, Lillie.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Do they?

I'll have to try them. I have stuff that's neither story nor interesting.

Me too! I call them my first stories... *shivers*

:D

ETA: is Earthbound a mag or a publisher?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
The story they picked this month is an info-dump. You can tell because nothing happens.