The Novel Challenge Hub

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Just got back from the conference. My inbox was jammed! Am taking a break here in between all the emails from my fellow Sikhs about the situation in Wisconsin.

About the conference: Had the usual minor travel mishaps. (Zigged when I should have zagged and took an extra 30 min. to get to hotel.) Very friendly connections with fellow writers. Learned some promotion type stuff. ....And got a request for a proposal from the agent I pitched to. (What I've written is a memoir.) So, I've actually fulfilled the sub part of this a bit ahead of schedule. [Understatement!] But I'll stick around. I wouldn't be sending that proposal just yet.

Cheering everyone on!

And if you're the praying type, requesting prayers for the Sikhs in Wisconsin.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

:Hug2::Hug2::Hug2:

Siri, I don't know what to say about the Wisconsin shooting. There is much evil in this world. The Sikhs in Wisconsin are certainly in my thoughts.

It's great that you got an agent interested in your memoirs. Congrats and fingers crossed. Keep us informed.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Thanks, Torill and Sky Warrior!

It's a real funny mix of elation and shock I'm in right now. Sikhs tend to be doers, so we're looking at how we can use this horror for the greater good.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*Huge hugs* for Siri! It's hard to make sense of this world sometimes.

Hey Izz! Glad to see you! :hi: How's the writing going?
Pretty good, thanks :) A few months back the day job cut back to two days a week, which means a lot less money, but a lot more time to write. So i've written something like 90,000 words of fiction since the beginning of June, and am nearly finished the first draft of badgerpunk novel #1. This week, hopefully, providing the plot doesn't throw up too many more twisty-turns.

Looks like you're making good progress, too :hooray:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
This afternoon was pretty productive. Finished up two chapters already in-progress and wrote a (short) third chapter for about 1.7k.

Not too shabby. Hope to get another chapter done this evening to put me even with the CampNaNo goal for Day 6. (I'm about 1k short at the moment.)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Siri, I'm so sorry the awful news hit so close to home for you. :Hug2:
Having people in the world who could do such awful things makes me sad whenever I hear something like that. I hope the positiveness of your faith pulls you all through this.

On a happier note - a huge congrats in the agent interest in your memoirs!

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Half hour ago typed THE END to finish off the first draft of Dachs. 109,000 words of epic animal sci-fi! Heh.

I'm already thinking about book 2 (yes, this is a trilogy), though that's not next on my to-write list. I might write the opening scene tomorrow, though. It's been bugging me for at least half of this novel.

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Half hour ago typed THE END to finish off the first draft of Dachs. 109,000 words of epic animal sci-fi! Heh.

I'm already thinking about book 2 (yes, this is a trilogy), though that's not next on my to-write list. I might write the opening scene tomorrow, though. It's been bugging me for at least half of this novel.
:TheWave::PartySmil:partyguy::hooray:

CONGRATS!!!!!

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score

Congratulations!! That always feels so fantastic, doesn't it?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

Woohoo! :D That's fantastic.

:hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray:

(Don't feel bad about planning a trilogy. My current novel is the first of a possible five book series. ;))

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
Making slow progress here, but at least I'm keeping at it. Have about 500 words written on the next chapter. Think they're reasonably OK....but won't update my ticker yet. They may still have to be rewritten. Realised I will have to do some more plotting - iron out a few minor problems and holes, plus read up on some of the research I did last year about adoption laws (very boring, and I'm not going to use it more than in a sentence or two, probably - but I need to get it right...). So, even though I put in many hours of work each day, I don't get too many actual words down. Sometimes it feels like I'll never see the end of this....

@ Izz 90,000 words of fiction since the beginning of June? Wow, that's AWESOME! :Hail:
Here's to THE END of your first draft: :partyguy::PartySmil:partyguy: And here's to hoping the book will sell in spades and more than make up for the cut back of your job! :e2cheer: Epic animal sci-fi sounds like lots of fun. (What's badgerpunk?)
Why shouldn't it be a trilogy? I'm thinking that the greater story arc of what I write now will need about four or five books to be told! (But I'm trying to make this first one a possible stand-alone - bring this particular subplot to a satisfactory closure...)

@ Aggy :Clap: for two chapters finished and a third chapter written! Not shabby at all, no!

@ Sarah:partyguy: to your 10k! Keep it up! You can do it!!!

@ sky warrior So sorry to hear you got dehydrated and sick. Hope you are better now! :Hug2:Yes, you do too much. But that's who you are, right? Keep on creepin' with Daemons and Shadows, you'll get there!!:e2cheer::e2cheer:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Making slow progress here, but at least I'm keeping at it. Have about 500 words written on the next chapter. Think they're reasonably OK....but won't update my ticker yet. They may still have to be rewritten. Realised I will have to do some more plotting - iron out a few minor problems and holes, plus read up on some of the research I did last year about adoption laws (very boring, and I'm not going to use it more than in a sentence or two, probably - but I need to get it right...). So, even though I put in many hours of work each day, I don't get too many actual words down. Sometimes it feels like I'll never see the end of this....
At least you've gotten some words down, right? :hooray: Count them anyway, even if you have to rewrite later :) And research and plotting is good, too!

@ Izz 90,000 words of fiction since the beginning of June? Wow, that's AWESOME! :Hail:
Here's to THE END of your first draft: :partyguy::PartySmil:partyguy:
Thank you!

Epic animal sci-fi sounds like lots of fun. (What's badgerpunk?)
It was definitely fun to write!

And this is badgerpunk (in brief): dachshunds and badgers battling it out in post-apocalyptic Germany. Rats with mechanical wings. Animal empires!

:D

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
At least you've gotten some words down, right? :hooray: Count them anyway, even if you have to rewrite later :) And research and plotting is good, too!

Thanks!

And this is badgerpunk (in brief): dachshunds and badgers battling it out in post-apocalyptic Germany. Rats with mechanical wings. Animal empires!

Oh yeah, I seem to remember now - you described it before, didn't you? Sounds like so much fun - I'd love to read that!!! (love the term badgerpunk, too!)

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Torill;) and congrats to everyone:Hug2:Nice to see you around again Izz:D

Well I didn't reach my word count today but I'm only around 1,000 behind so, shouldn't be to hard to catch up:D and it's going so much better than June:) Now up to 15,064:hooray:

Sarah G

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Izz:Hug2:and how did the proposal go Siri Kapral?

I hit 20k today and finally caught up on my words, I'm right where I need to be now:partyguy: felt like i'd never catch up:hooray:Still writing at min, trying to get a bit a head now;)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Izz:Hug2:and how did the proposal go Siri Kapral?

I hit 20k today and finally caught up on my words, I'm right where I need to be now:partyguy: felt like i'd never catch up:hooray:Still writing at min, trying to get a bit a head now;)

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Good work, Sarah!

Still working on the proposal. They take a while to do well. (Though not as long as a full ms, thankfully!)

Cheering everyone on. Typing this on my mother's computer. (She's my first reader.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sarah G

Registered
Reaction score
I finally managed to get up to 30,000 tonight:D which means I'm slightly a head too and doing so much better than June:) {it's helped that my cabins a lot more active this time around, where all pretty much in the 25- 30k range apart from two:D} and no deaths in the story yet, something off there:D time for chocolate then back to it:D