A Life of Crime and Chocolate

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
We don't watch the new kid programs with my 3 year old granddaughter, except a few on pbs that have been long running. We watch netflix Carebears, Dinosaur Train.

Any one ever watch Cat in the Hat on PBS? Is it just me that thinks the cat sounds and acts like a peidofile? I just can't.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
My 2 year old daughter is waaaaay into super heroes. Batman, Spiderman, Justice League, Superhero Squad. Netflix is pretty awesome.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Busy, busy weekend. Didn't find time to write, which was annoying, especially as I had a two-hour car journey where I was just twiddling my thumbs, and I'd left my laptop at home.

I did watch The Usual Suspects again last night. I'm still trying to work out who Keyser Soze was - for the longest time I was sure Kevin Spacey was Soze, but then I read this theory that said Pete Postlethwaite was. I can't decide if either of them actually are Keyser Soze, or if he's just a myth.

Classic example of an unreliable narrator, though. Loads of little details that give you clues when you think about it later (e.g. there's plenty that doesn't add up in the shootout in the underground car park).

How were your weekends?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
My 2 year old daughter is waaaaay into super heroes. Batman, Spiderman, Justice League, Superhero Squad. Netflix is pretty awesome.

My daughter didn't get exposed to a lot of the traditional kid stuff. When she was little, we had DVDs, but no streaming Netflix and no regular television. She was raised on "Star Trek" and "Doctor Who" and a lot of stuff that we really shouldn't have let her watch at all, mostly because the idea of proactively bringing something like The Teletubbies into the house horrified us. (Someone did give her that weird Thomas the Tank Engine movie, though.) Now we have Netflix streaming, and she has her own queue with her favorites in it.

What I like best about Netflix is that she has no real concept of commercials, and is growing up somewhat armored against traditional sales tactics. (Somewhat. She will still covet pretty much every LEGO Friends kit they issue, even though she's not so into LEGOs anymore.)

How were your weekends?

Too short. And last night my daughter couldn't sleep - as in she was up until about 3:30 am - so she's home from school today catching up. Daddy and I will catch up...eventually.

Also, I have learned that when my spouse says "I will stop making desserts" there is a parenthetical "for the next twelve to twenty-four hours" in there. We now have strawberry shortbread cookies and pear walnut cake in the kitchen. Where are you people?? I NEED HELP HERE.

The Usual Suspects made my head hurt, but my goodness, Kevin Spacey is good.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
*sneaks back onto AW* HEY GUYS!!

It's been absolute ages since i was last here and I truly hope y'all are keeping well :)

I initially took what I planned to be a wee break from this whole writing lark as a I was completely drained from my studies and found absolutely no time to write which, in turn, led to me having no time to visit this wonderful place and eventually I reached that stage where I was sick of my project, blocked and kinda annoyed with writing in general. BUT I've recently rekindled my love for writing, got a new project that I'm enjoying and I'm back to talk to all you lovely lot.

Hope you remember me ;)

Caitlin

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:back, Cait! :D

For HJ.

Worse ------>
spongebob.gif

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sneaks back onto AW* HEY GUYS!!

It's been absolute ages since i was last here and I truly hope y'all are keeping well :)

I initially took what I planned to be a wee break from this whole writing lark as a I was completely drained from my studies and found absolutely no time to write which, in turn, led to me having no time to visit this wonderful place and eventually I reached that stage where I was sick of my project, blocked and kinda annoyed with writing in general. BUT I've recently rekindled my love for writing, got a new project that I'm enjoying and I'm back to talk to all you lovely lot.

Hope you remember me ;)

Caitlin

Glad to have you back, Caitlin.:hi:

:welcome:back, Cait! :D

For HJ.

Worse ------>
spongebob.gif

No way was spongebob worse. He was a blessed relief after Teletubbies. (Especially Patrick. I liked Patrick.:D)

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome back guys! I knew I missed this place :)

No way was spongebob worse. He was a blessed relief after Teletubbies. (Especially Patrick. I liked Patrick.:D)

Scooby-Doo was my childhood. Instead of playing outside one summer, I watched it EVERY day...I have no regrets whatsoever :D

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I have been so busy - writing, volunteer work for a local cat rescue charity and rehearsals. Good to be here and to catch up. :)

A customer told me this:
A crowd of people coming out of Shakespeare's Globe, London, one of the crowd says to the person they are with "why did they build it here? I mean how they hell did Shakespeare cope with the planes and helicopters?"

"How much do you want for this?"
"£35."
"But the price tag says £2.50."
"I know - but you asked how much I wanted."

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
A customer told me this:
A crowd of people coming out of Shakespeare's Globe, London, one of the crowd says to the person they are with "why did they build it here? I mean how they hell did Shakespeare cope with the planes and helicopters?"

:ROFL:

Busy few days ahead for me. I'm off to Bulgaria today for a rather special concert - a metal band playing in a Roman amphitheatre, accompanied by a live symphony orchestra. I get back on Sunday - so quite literally a flying visit.

Hope you all have lovely weekends!

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome back guys! I knew I missed this place :)

Scooby-Doo was my childhood. Instead of playing outside one summer, I watched it EVERY day...I have no regrets whatsoever :D

Ooooh, I loved Scooby-Doo too. Big fan.

I have been so busy - writing, volunteer work for a local cat rescue charity and rehearsals. Good to be here and to catch up. :)

A customer told me this:

"How much do you want for this?"
"£35."
"But the price tag says £2.50."
"I know - but you asked how much I wanted."

:roll:

:ROFL:

Busy few days ahead for me. I'm off to Bulgaria today for a rather special concert - a metal band playing in a Roman amphitheatre, accompanied by a live symphony orchestra. I get back on Sunday - so quite literally a flying visit.

Hope you all have lovely weekends!

Have a safe flight, osg, and enjoy Bulgaria. :Hug2:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
What History said. :)

I miss you guys. I miss writing. I miss free time. We're actually talking about moving in closer to town. It would save me about an hour a day of travel, at least.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rehearsals (http://www.redgravechurch.co.uk/heroes_by_tom_stoppard.html) today took place at Redgrave Church - http://www.redgravechurch.co.uk/ amazing thunderstorm - HUGE rolling thunder, flashes of lightening and then RAIN!!! Had to go home a different way to avoid the flooding.

Let's hope it's better weather for the actual show. How are the rehearsals going?

What History said. :)

I miss you guys. I miss writing. I miss free time. We're actually talking about moving in closer to town. It would save me about an hour a day of travel, at least.

Then you gotta move closer to town. We miss you here, HJ.:Hug2:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Tough when your "free time" gets encroached upon, even more maddening when over an hour is shot to hell just due to driving. Moms (and grandmas) need a break too. "Hugs" Jude.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, ladies. :) Hubby calculated that where we'd move would save me 90 minutes a day of driving. :eek: I'd still be in the car a lot, but that'd be a lot LESS.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
90 mins! What on earth will you do with all that time, HJ?:D

Joking aside, that's a lot of travelling time saved.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
My dad is seeing someone new, she's a published author, she seems lovely enough (I wouldn't say she's good enough for my dad, but honestly I don't think anyone ever will be).
She looked over a little bit of my work and saidnit's got a lot of potential, she gave me some advice, which has made me feel really good about my piece.

I decided that I'd enter my first writing competition. Little nervous. It's done. There's no going back now.

Here's the link:
http://www.soyouthinkyoucanwrite.com/manuscripts-sytycw-2014/animal-instincts/

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
HJ - I hope you work it out. That's a ice chunk of time you'd get back.

French, good luck with your submission. And congrats on getting good feedback!

Autocorrect all out got me, it corrected "work it out" to "wank it out." Very glad I caught that one,