Salutiferous September 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Did some significant edits to Chapter 2 and I think I've got it finished. 759 new words today.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Knocked off another 463 words. Next step: Ignore it for a day in hopes of scraping some objectivity out of thin air, and read through on Sunday.

Yay for words, big and small! :e2cheer:

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Not much in the way of changes that needed to be done for my third chapter so it went pretty quick. 83 new words for today.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back Saoirse and yay for being unstuck!

Tried to work on query some more today and it was just terrible. Think I'll just scrap today's work. Hate days where just nothing works.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Thanks, lindz! Hugs on the query.

674 today. Not spectacular, but I'll take it after slogging my way through the same three scenes a million times. I always forget something. :(

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well done on the words, Saoirse! And lindz, don't be discouraged. I lost track of how many versions of my query letter I had to do. I burned it down and built it up probably a dozen times, no joke. It is HARD to write a good query.

Today I finished my revision. (Yeah, I'm surprised, too!) I wrote up a high-level summary of what had changed, and sent the whole kit and kaboodle to my agent. There is one point I'm still hesitant about, so I fully expect to hear back about that. I think the rest of it, though, is not in awful shape at this point.

Apart from the fact that I hate every word of it, of course. :Headbang:

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Had to change a few things in my 4th chapter to make it fit with the big rewrite in chapter 2, but overall it wasn't too much. 109 new words today.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
291 this morning.

Hang in there, Liz.

Saoirse, if it's any help, I tend not to look forward to work either... :D. Hope you have a good day!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Currently re-reading and editing my present day Czech mystery, and off to Prague next week for a bit more book-buying and research. Always good to have an excuse to go down to the Police Museum!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Nice to see you, Zelenka!

And thanks, osg. I just need to be a grown-up. Not my strong suit. :D

Miraculously, I got some work done tonight: incorporated some revisions, and did a rough outline of a chunk that's going to be rewritten. (About 8,000 words. :gaah)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

HEY. I have outlined before.

I think. It may have been a dream of some kind.

Whacked 216 words out of the MS tonight, but I'm still procrastinating on the bit that needs rewriting. But I have an outline! Sort of! So everything will be awesome.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
I had a bad day yesterday and went through my first draft, wanting to trash the whole thing and rewrite. So we are taking a bit of a break from each other before hurtful things are done.

This morning was spent doing some basic notes and outlining of another idea. Hope to spend a week on getting a good idea of where I want this project to go and maybe start writing next week if it looks promising.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Wow, I go away for a few days and you guys kick some wordage butt. :D

After days of nothing, I finally got back into the killers head. (A very dark place, so I had to get new batteries for my flashlight.) Managed another 502 today. Not a lot, but this guy is not easy to read. At least I can get back to Cal on the next chapter.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Wrote about 1,000 words tonight, and deleted about 1,200. I'm now a hair under 130K. Might not stay there - it's very much a first draft of the scene, and I tend to get longer rather than shorter. But I may pick up some cuts further down the line as the revised events roll downhill.

lindz, for what it's worth, I've hated my book a lot. The other day I wanted to print it out, tear up each page individually, and have a big bonfire in the backyard so it would understand how thoroughly I hated it. The feeling does pass. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Making some changes downstream from my new scene. Many of them are horrible, but I'll get them in editing. Or something like that.

106 > 0, osg. You rock. :e2cheer:

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Did some general outlining this morning as well as some decently detailed notes for my first chapter.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Lucky 13th - I finished going through the revision notes. Tomorrow there will be polishing.

I'm down under 129K now, which feels weird.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Nice going, lizmonster! Break out the Brasso. :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

That's what I need, Saoirse, internet issues. Too many distractions. Nice wordage.

Managed 796 today, hoping for more. Finished a chapter with Cal, but now I have to deal with the "dark side" again.

ETA: Added another 285 for a total of 1081 today. Having a little trouble with the killers POV, just can't get him to open up.

Last edited: