• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

The Paleontology Thread

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Great - I've read about Deinocheirus before this discovery, and it's nice to see what was attached to those giant arms. I've heard some theories, but nothing like the real thing!

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Cool beast, huh?

I've seen the arms (or a cast of them) in a museum. They're really huge. I'm quite happy they actually found the rest.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This story is a reminder to everybody that what's found in the fossil record is << than what's preserved there, and what's preserved there is << than what existed on Earth at any given point in time. The fossil record is extremely fragmentary, and scientists inevitably will only uncover fragments of that.

caw

Last edited:

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
New dinosaur uncovered: The Great Turkey Camelduck (Deinocheirus)

Still waiting for a crocoduck.

Crocoduck.jpg

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
With spinosaurus, and now this chap, this has been a good year for weird-looking dinosaurs.

Popular science publications tend to be too conservative in their depiction of these animals, IMO, with pitiful half-feathered forelimbs and sparse crests. I prefer John Conway's shagpile carpet version.