The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I've been furiously rewriting in my bedroom since 9am. I should probably venture downstairs to prove I'm alive to Para and Dys. :tongue

I knew you were alive. You were tweeting.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I've been furiously rewriting in my bedroom since 9am. I should probably venture downstairs to prove I'm alive to Para and Dys. :tongue

First thing this morning I thought you had gone comatose on us. No sounds coming from the house. No one awake but me. Turns out, I was wrong. :tongue

Also, I find it oddly fitting that our "going out" days are bright and sunny and our "must write!" days are gray and rainy. On which note, I am making tea and cowering under my duvet on the couch. :)

Writing-wise, I have to admit, I find watching superhero movies quite stimulating. All the snark and punching and explosions. There's usually at least one moment when I completely zone out and go "Oh, that's what I need to do to fix my climax!" ;)

ETA: Twitter gives it all away. It's sneaky like a ninja! ;)

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Para and Justme!!!

the writing retreat/trip seems like so much fun.

Question for the Brits-In the U.S., a child who is really lively and mischievious can be described as "a handful." Is that just an American expression or would you use that too? Is there another one more common? I'm looking for an old-fashioned expression.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I find it oddly fitting that our "going out" days are bright and sunny and our "must write!" days are gray and rainy.

I was actually thinking that this morning! It's like the universe is telling us something.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Question for the Brits-In the U.S., a child who is really lively and mischievious can be described as "a handful." Is that just an American expression or would you use that too? Is there another one more common? I'm looking for an old-fashioned expression.

No, they'd be a handful in the UK too. Our puppy is a bit of a handful. :tongue

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Totally just sent out a work email with the subject line "Avengers Assemble!"

Mornin' folk.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all!

Was mildly freaking out that the edits on RotTotD from the publisher would arrive while I was in California. So, I sent them an e-mail and I got petted and calmed down and assured that my edits would not be sent until I'm back.

I also dyed my hair. It was meant to be dark brown- but my hair turned out black. I mean total dark warm black. So, I'm washing my hair everyday so I can hopefully get it to lighten up a little. I have a feeling pictures are going to be taken in California- and DOG I hate to get my picture taken. I haven't decided if I like my hair or if it's a major disaster.

Buuuut- I got a beta read and some writing to do today. :)

And Tas- I repped you but I would totally wear one of those bracelets.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
No, they'd be a handful in the UK too. Our puppy is a bit of a handful. :tongue

thank you! I know some expressions don't translate even from region to region in the U.S.

Here's something else. These quotes are from an essay about the difference in British and American phrases and tenses:

"First, the difference use in tenses. In British English the present perfect is used to express an action that has occurred in the recent past that has an effect on the present moment. For example: I've misplaced my pen. Can you help me find it? In American English, the use of the past tense is also permissible: I misplaced my pen. Can you help me find it? In British English, however, using the past tense in this example would be considered incorrect."

"Here are also a few differences between British and American English in the use of prepositions. For example: While the British would play in a team, Americans would play on a team. Another example: While the British would go out at the weekend, Americans would go out onthe weekend."

yes?

eta: I think at some point I'm going to try to hire Para to give a manuscript a check for proper English English. :)

Last edited:

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone! Now I want a coconut cupcake for breakfast.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Para and Justme!!!

the writing retreat/trip seems like so much fun.

What Para said. We say the same thing here.

Thank you, everyone! Now I want a coconut cupcake for breakfast.

mmmmm...coconut.Brilliant news, Justme. All your hard work has really paid off.

Afternoon all. Survived the landlord's inspection. Actually all stood around and had a nice chat. So relieved. I can chill now.

Roll on Sunday and London! *bounces*

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Oh, I forgot - We got free small posters for seeing it in IMAX at midnight. IMAX had them printed for 12:01 showings from a drawing of the Avengers team. Took home 3 by way of saving one from being trampled on the stairs.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Roll on Sunday and London! *bounces*

Yes! We're all super excited to meet you! :D

It looks like we'll have teh interwebs at the B&B where we'll be staying at so all my meeting coordinating needs will be satisfied. (I shall e-mail pounce on you or something! ;))

Cupcakes for release party will be ours! :D

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually trying to talk the co-workers into going to see the Avengers on Monday as a team-building event. (There's a theater right across the street from work, and during the day, it's like $5) I will also be going to see it with the family at some point, but that may have to wait til the evening shows get a bit less insane.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
eta: I think at some point I'm going to try to hire Para to give a manuscript a check for proper English English. :)

I'd be up for that. Or down with that. Whichever. :D

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As you wish

Had a weird morning. Alarm went off. I sat up and shifted so I was sitting on the edge of the bed willing myself to move and willing my eyes open. They opened just a crack and there was a small flicker of light. I was like "what's wrong with my eyes!" Getting up I opened the bedroom door and started down the stairs, eyes closed, I willed them open again and their was another flicker of light. Again I wondered what was wrong with my eyes. So I finished the trip down the stairs with my eyes closed and let Ink out of his kennel. At this point I opened my eyes again and there was a bright flash followed by thunder.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Morning, all

:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: to Rose!!!!

Other than that, I got nothing. Except a few words for the first time in days, so in an effort to not piss off whatever deity granted them, I'm going to go away now.

Happy Friday to all :)

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually trying to talk the co-workers into going to see the Avengers on Monday as a team-building event. (There's a theater right across the street from work, and during the day, it's like $5) I will also be going to see it with the family at some point, but that may have to wait til the evening shows get a bit less insane.

The movie seems ideal, thematically, for a team-building discussion. You=genius.

As you wish

Had a weird morning. Alarm went off. I sat up and shifted so I was sitting on the edge of the bed willing myself to move and willing my eyes open. They opened just a crack and there was a small flicker of light. I was like "what's wrong with my eyes!" Getting up I opened the bedroom door and started down the stairs, eyes closed, I willed them open again and their was another flicker of light. Again I wondered what was wrong with my eyes. So I finished the trip down the stairs with my eyes closed and let Ink out of his kennel. At this point I opened my eyes again and there was a bright flash followed by thunder.

Um. Please use your powers for good and not evil, mkay?

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Mornin', Purgies!!!

Yay, Ink!

Yay, Para!

CONGRATULATIONS, ROSE!!!!!

:partyguy: :TheWave::PartySmil

Got tickets for the 1:50 showing of Avengers tomorrow. My son is "taking me," at least according to him. Yeah, I bought the tickets, will be driving, and pay for dinner, but it was his idea. That's what matters, right? LOL

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I actually got about five chapters of re-reads done on my writing before being hit by the conviction that everything I write sucks. So - improvement!

Now I have to take care of the hubby who's just arrived home with man flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.