Angry Robot Books 2 month open sub!!

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
Get your manuscripts ready, kids! The ill-tempered automatons are running another open door sub until the end of the year! No agent? No problem!

Several AWers have successfully published under AR from their open door subs. Feel free to shoot any questions our way.

http://angryrobotbooks.com/2013/10/angry-robot-open-door-2013/

Last edited:

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, good to know. I don't have one finished now, but am (almost) in the middle of an UF right now. Let's see if I can finish, beta, and polish it up in time. :D

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
**runs about flailing**

**sings** "It's the MOST. Wonderful tiiiime of the yeeeeear..."

:)

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
*twitches*

This is what I get for looking at the New Posts button....

I could completely finish editing my MS in two months. It's just the nitty gritty stuff like finding 'that' and fixing dialogue at this point. But...but...*passes out*

I just gave myself the worst case of the butterflies. Eep.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
cool I should be finished by then! Think I'll try find an agent first though.
Good luck to everyone else.

I laughed at this on their submission page:
You’re open until the end of the year, huh? Cool – I’ll send you my Nanowrimo book.
Hmmm.

Last edited:

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a quick question please, if I may. I'm working on a sci-fi manuscript, and I was considering popping it into the Strange Chemistry YA open slot, but even had I finished it in time, I didn't think it would quite fit.

Basically, my main character is ten years old, and your guidelines say that younger protagonists should go to SC - but it's not a kids book, or YA. It's a novel for adults, just with a kid as the main character. Is it still something you're willing to look at?

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
Hey people,

Just a disclaimer. I don't work for the publisher; I'm just one of their authors. I don't have any inside information (at least not what you're looking for) on their submission guidelines or what they're specifically interested in seeing outside of the post. Please note they did say a faq is coming up at the latter half of this week.

Ojcade: I can't answer that question for you. There's more to YA than the age of the protagonist. My recommendation is if it feels like an adult book, then submit it as such. That's something you have to decide.

Triceretops: In the post, Lee said "from the end of this week through to the end of the year"

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Going to one publisher isn't shopping around.

I subbed my book to AR's 2011 open door period. I got a revise and resubmit, so after I revised, I queried agents. Because I had existing interest I went to the top of the pile and was read quickly. I got an agent 2 days before the publication offer, and my agent negotiated me a better deal. It worked out pretty well!

(I subbed as adult but it ended up being shuffled over to their at-the-time new YA imprint, Strange Chemistry).

Last edited:

Viciouspen

Registered
Reaction score
I both wish I had something completely finished and edited to send off right now, as well as...well...the idea of submitting for publishing still scares the crap out of me cause I just feel like I'm so in the dark on everything that I'll be laughed out or something. I don't know, stupid stuff.

I probably should do something like this, but I'd imagine the time table might make it so I wouldn't have things finished to send in.

Hmm I don't know....we'll see I suppose. I know I need to be making myself get past this block by doing stuff like this, but, it's super easy to just write write write and do only that.

Thanks for the heads up. If nothing else it's something to be thinking about.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I knew absolutely nothing about publication when I submitted. You're ahead of the curve by being on here already.

Viciouspen

Registered
Reaction score
I knew absolutely nothing about publication when I submitted. You're ahead of the curve by being on here already.

I know that logically, but the rest of my head likes to screw with that.
Not to get into it and clutter this up much but I had a traumatic event, something happened with a loved one that was essentially the one handling the me getting published side, so it's kind of tied up in that particular block.

So logic vs irrational mind.

It'll make a good story someday :p lol

I have no idea if I'm capable of getting what I'm working done and ready in time to submit for this, but I'm gonna try to use it as fuel for the fire if nothing else.

AW has been and awesome find. Glad I ran into it, the places I had found through google searches were so sadly horrible it was depressing.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I both wish I had something completely finished and edited to send off right now, as well as...well...the idea of submitting for publishing still scares the crap out of me cause I just feel like I'm so in the dark on everything that I'll be laughed out or something. I don't know, stupid stuff.

I probably should do something like this, but I'd imagine the time table might make it so I wouldn't have things finished to send in.

Hmm I don't know....we'll see I suppose. I know I need to be making myself get past this block by doing stuff like this, but, it's super easy to just write write write and do only that.

Thanks for the heads up. If nothing else it's something to be thinking about.

You're going to get laughed out of something in this industry, or criticised or broken down and if it isn't by a publisher its will be a critic or a reader, or a crazy person who thinks real people should have real jobs- no matter how confident you are in your writing. If it doesn't happen here it will happen in some other area. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, so you might as well go ahead and do it and come stand in naughty corner with the rest of us, and we can laugh at each other :)

Last edited:

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
Viciouspen, sorry to break this to you, but it only gets worse. Much much worse. Everyone's a critic and if you're putting your work out there, someone will feel that it's their right to be as big of a jackass as possible. And yes, you're going to have to suck it up and take the abuse. It comes with the territory.

I had someone say in a review that reading my book gave them Aids. AIDS! And that was a 3 star review. Imagine what a 1 star looks like. =)

Such is life.

Last edited:

Viciouspen

Registered
Reaction score
That kind of stuff isn't what bothers me. I mean one of the first wins I got was the college writing contest that erupted into a big arguement over the short story I had submitted. Half of the english department loved it, the other half wanted it tied to a stake and burned :p
So that stuff I'm fine with.

It's more the idea of just wandering in and being some rube that doesn't know things they need to know, because I have no idea that I don't know them, then screwing something up cause I don't know.

It's not a logical thing, it's just a voice in the back of my head being stupid.

I have no idea if I'm capable of getting what I'm working on done enough to submit a manuscript in time, but I'll be using it as a goal if nothing else, so either I'll get it done and do it, or the worst case scenario is I get more done and then I just do something someplace else later.

G. Applejack

Write faster! FASTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say I love the comments section of that post?