Angry Robot Books 2 month open sub!!

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
I remember my full manuscript being called in fairly quickly--the longer wait time tends to be after that point. So you should probably have it ready to go!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I agonized over this one. I just didn't have an adult SFF manuscript that fit their definitions. Their sister Strange Chemistry was no problem. But when I went to place my title in the sub bar for AR, it came up, which means I must have made some submission in the past--the waaaay past. So, I won't duplicate.

tri

SKDaley

Registered
Reaction score
I remember my full manuscript being called in fairly quickly--the longer wait time tends to be after that point. So you should probably have it ready to go!

Oh, it'll be ready. I'm not sending it in until I give it a thorough pass this time around (it isn't my first edit after all.) I hope having the full called in quickly is my problem!

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Giving it a shot. They're a classy outfit.

Matthew Hughes

Old Pro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewhughes.org
Angry Robot accepting unsolicited, unagented mss

I've just noticed that one of my publishers, Angry Robot Books, has an open-door for unsolicited, unagented adult science fiction, fantasy (including urban fantasy), and horror novels until the end of the year.

The link takes you to a lengthy description of exactly what they want and don't want (no YA, forex), and is followed by some really good information about coming across as a pro -- which ups your odds of getting published.

AR has done this before, and people have gotten book deals as a result. So, if you're thinking of taking a shot, read those directions carefully. Don't let a bad query letter undercut a good ms.

Matthew Hughes

Old Pro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewhughes.org
I don't think having an agent or not would affect their decision process once they're reading the manuscript.

Unless, in the meantime, you'd done substantial rewriting under the agent's guidance. Then I think they'd be willing to take a look.

AR is one of my publishers, and I've found them to be a pretty reasonable crew.

BTW, the how-to-submit info on their web page offers some very good advice on how to conduct yourself like a pro. It's worth studying.

Not having spotted this thread, and being a week late most of the time, I started my own thread on the AR open door today. I'm going to see if I can remove it. If I can't, would one of the admins please do so?

ajoker

backstab x 2!
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else checked on their sub with Angry Robot and gotten the following message?

You attempted to view a submission that does not exist or that you do not have access to.

I haven't seen submittable do that before--does anyone know what's up?

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
I just checked my sub and it looked normal. I don't know what's up with yours. I'd try back at another time and if you get the same thing send an email. You hardly want existential questions clogging up the submission process.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else checked on their sub with Angry Robot and gotten the following message?

You attempted to view a submission that does not exist or that you do not have access to.

I haven't seen submittable do that before--does anyone know what's up?
**checks, twitching with paranoia**

Mine looks okay too. I'll second the suggestion to wait a while to see if it's a temporary thing, then email Angry Robot and/or Submittable. You might need to re-submit.

ajoker

backstab x 2!
Registered
Reaction score
Gulp. It's actually been doing that for a couple of days now. I'll ignore it for the rest of the weekend and then if it hasn't magically fixed itself try to figure it out on Monday.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I contacted them and said my submission was just fine. So perhaps submittable is just a little crazy?

Last edited:

DrFaerieGodmother

Villainy is merely an issue of POV.
Registered
Reaction score
It got awfully quiet in the thread here. Anyone hear anything yet?

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
Last time I checked my submission it still said that it had been submitted, so that's where I stand. They've only had mine for a month, though.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I had some minor glitches uploading the initial files, but it worked out. Within a minute or two I got an acknowledgement of receipt from the AR site. Now the wait begins...

(genre mash-up - science fantasy/police procedural)

Last edited:

DrFaerieGodmother

Villainy is merely an issue of POV.
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, you all rock for responding so quickly. I guess it's settle down for the long wait time.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
Prepare for patience! And keep writing in the meantime. If I could go back in time, that's what I'd tell myself.

Aquarianhelix

Registered
Reaction score
In case thothguard decides to do the honours as he did with the HarperVoyager open door sub, I thought I would give a small helping hand. Here's the list so far, as far as I can make out. Please feel free to add / amend / update / correct my blunders.

1 Dryad, Type unknown, submitted 29/10/2013
2 ajoker, Type unknown, submitted 15/11/2013
3 jjdebenedictis, Type unknown, submitted 16/11/2013
4 ironmikerzero, Type unknown, submitted 06/12/2013

Last edited:

ajoker

backstab x 2!
Registered
Reaction score
In case thothguard decides to do the honours as he did with the HarperVoyager open door sub, I thought I would give a small helping hand. Here's the list so far, as far as I can make out. Please feel free to add / amend / update / correct my blunders.

Ooh, good call. Mine is historical horror, I suppose, and I submitted it on 25/10/13.

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net

Way to pass the buck, Aquarian. :p

Mine is bio-punk sci-fi.

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy (not quite epic, but in that vein), submitted 10/30/13

Kemo.

Have grammar--will travel
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new, but lurked on the HV thread for a year.

I submitted a fantasy novel on December 10th.