Proper market for my article

Radiguet

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I've just finished a piece that can easily double as an essay and an article. At approx. 5,000 words, it's about the polarization of the U.S., but to buttress my argument I fell back heavily on American literature and history.

I think the message and argument of the piece are timely, the writing solid and polished. The problem is the outlet. The literary journals open to essays are looking for "personal" essays, and this one might be a bit too dry for them. Magazines such as Foreign Affairs, on the other hand, rely on essays more analytical and less inclined towards literature than mine, not to mention the weighty credentials that I lack.

Any ideas as to the best place to pitch?

I'd be most grateful for any feedback.

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wow... that's long...
Have you considered publishing it as a white paper or Kindle Single?

Radiguet

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Melinda,

Thanks for replying. I wouldn't think 5000 words is that long!

No, I haven't considered "self-publishing". I was hoping there are publications out there that might be interested in that sort of thing.

Any ideas?

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
:D
It just surprised me because, in my experience with freelance writing, most editors have wanted articles of less than 1000 words. But that's also MY experience, not universal, and probably not the same "genre" of magazines as you.

Try googling "long form articles" or "long form journalism".

Radiguet

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's more of an essay, really.

Thank you for the feedback though. :)