Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specialfae

Coffee understands
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Specialfae. Nice meeting ya. Anyway, while prolly inappropriate, I gotta point out to you that black unicorns don't exist. Unicorns only come in white or transparent pink. Sorry for being picky. ^_^

What?!?! Say it isn't so! *sobs* oh wait, it's my story... *writes a blue unicorn into next chapter, just cuz* ha ha ;)

Freyja

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to the cooler and actually joined via an open publisher submission. I write mostly YA fantasy although I'm having issues with the actual genre to claim. It's YA/cross over to be sure, but very confused on how to catagorize it beyond that. :)

Hi and welcome!!! I'm new here too :)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii, do you have to pay for these attorneys? I am sorry this is such a pain in the butt for you, and I am intrigued there is a penalty for being unmarried and pregnant. Is there one for men, too? Seems that would lead to a problem of fathers walking away.

Dorothy, when is your deadline? I know you will finish in time:)

Today is early release. My house is about to be overrun by the children.

My aunt sent me a note wondering how to buy my book. I guess everyone doesn't run to Amazon for stuff like that. I might just send her one in the mail. Won't help my sales numbers, but it would be spreading some love.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
JK! You know how many times I've 'splained to my mom about how to buy my book? Tons! She'll never, ever, ever understand the world of epubbing (which is probably a good thing. She wouldn't cotten to my vulgar language and violence and usage of autobiographical elements). I'm still working on getting her through VCR operation. Go tend to your aunt.

Dorothy! I'd LOVE to enter your pitch contest but everything I have ready now wouldn't suit the parameters (plus, I'm an old guy hold-out and haven't yet entered the evil realm of Twittering!).

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make brainstorming fun? I'm thinking of doing it for CampWriMo, whatever I work on, but the software I have is practical but not fun enough for this for me.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
A seriously series subject (say that three times, fast).

For those of you who are writing--or contemplating--a series, I'm having a hard time titling my series. So any help would be much appreciated.

My YA series. Should it come out under an "umbrella title?" The first is called "Tex, The Witch Boy." The next two are tentatively titled, "Tex And The Gangs Of Suburbia" and "Tex And The God Squad."

For brand marketing purposes, should I call 'em, "Tex, The Witch Boy 2: The Gangs Of Suburbia" and "Tex, The Witch Boy 3: The God Squad?"

Or are those titles just too long-ass? I'd seriously like to get your input, folks.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Kansas, I like how Holly Black does it. She gave her series the umbrella title 'The Curse Workers.' So the first book is White Cat, and on the bottom of the back cover it says The Curse Workers Book 1. Second book is Red Glove, The Curse Workers Book 2.

You could make 'Tex the Witch Boy' or something similar the umbrella title. So book 2 would be The Gangs of Suburbia. Then underneath/on the bottom/whatever have it say 'A Tex the Witch Boy Novel' or 'Tex the Witch Boy Book 2' etc. Something like that.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
I like the first idea, too. Tex is enough of a branding, IMO. Someone who isn't familiar with the series would be more likely to pick up Tex and the God Squad than Tex the Witch Boy 3.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
I like the first idea, too. Tex is enough of a branding, IMO. Someone who isn't familiar with the series would be more likely to pick up Tex and the God Squad than Tex the Witch Boy 3.

Yeah, I agree about the branding. Out of your two proposed options, Kansas, the first idea is best.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
I like the first idea too. Sounds better. Agreed that Tex is enough of a branding.

JK, my deadline is April 1st, but I need to get a finished draft into the hands of my crit partner and beta reader and then make the necessary changes before I turn it in. I also have to turn it in a week earlier since the family is going on vacation March 23rd (1st week of Easter break). So I'm trying to finish this draft by the end of February. :-/

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thirding or fourthing the "Tex and the God Squad" idea. Do it like JK Rowling did--people can call them "Tex 2" etc. if they want to for short hand.

I just typed the words "The End" on my WIP. Oh, and there's early blizzard-y conditions outside. What a day!

Specialfae

Coffee understands
Registered
Reaction score
You could make 'Tex the Witch Boy' or something similar the umbrella title. So book 2 would be The Gangs of Suburbia. Then underneath/on the bottom/whatever have it say 'A Tex the Witch Boy Novel' or 'Tex the Witch Boy Book 2' etc. Something like that.

I like this idea. Reason is that I have been frustrated (more than once) having to dig through book flaps (or google) to try to figure out the order of the books because the titles give no clue. I like the original title and then the series order below, or somewhere.

Just my 2 cents :)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
SpecialFae! Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'm agreeing.

Everyone! GAH! Isn't writing supposed to be fun and creatively fulfulling? Well it is, except for EVERYTHING else that goes alongside it (querying, waiting, revising, promotion, explaining to your mother what you're doing, etc.)! Dad-GUM!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
RRK, Congrats! It's a great feeling, isn't it? And I see in your location you're in"The city that never sleeps." I know where you are. :D Thems be my stompin' grounds. I'm out on the the island and we are getting HAMMERED with snow. I think we are getting 12-18 inches, but it will be cool to see what the drifts measure ;)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
The End! That is a great feeling and reason to celebrate. You have accomplished something many others fail to complete.

Dorothy, I can see why that deadline is on your mind. You need a mini NaNo in February. Get it done.

SIK, I always thought the fun was in the writing, and even the revising. The marketing, not so much. That goes for pre-published and post-published marketing. Yuck.

My book got a glowing review from Midwest Book Reviews. It isn't live yet. The reviewer sent me her pre-edited submission. I am so pleased and think she nailed it.

But now what? I sent it to my publisher, because I don't know what to do with reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.