The Kidlit Gang's Support and Accountability Thread

Eisen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, heza! I just realized that I've posted on this thread last year (when I was still drafting) and completely forgot about it. Oops! I'm happy that I've 'discovered' it again, haha :)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm happy I found this thread - I've been looking for an accountability thread for kidlit folks! :) I just started revising a ms and this is my first time to revise and rewrite something long. So will need a place like this for accountability and for checking-in!

Welcome back to the thread, Eisen. Good luck with the revising, not an easy thing at all. Keep checking in, and keep at it.

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, heza! I just realized that I've posted on this thread last year (when I was still drafting) and completely forgot about it. Oops! I'm happy that I've 'discovered' it again, haha :)

Nice to meet you, Eisen!

Eisen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks jvc and Supergirlofnc :) So far on revisions, I've decided to cut some characters out and change a secondary one who ended up being boring after 1.5 rewrites. Now I'm digging out backstory and figuring out exactly what that is... This revision might take awhile. How long does it usually take for y'all to do revisions?

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Is anyone else on Write On Con? I've been hanging out there! I have gotten some good suggestions on my query!

I also send my query to Suzie Townsend. She'd doing a thing where she'll read your query and tell you WHY it was rejected (or if your good, request your manuscript). So I send my query in! I think I might have blown it with about 30 agents so far with my old query! But I think I'm getting better! I hope!

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Hi Che! I'm on Write on Con, too. I just sent you a friend request over there.

How's everyone doing? I'm up to my ears with writing projects and beta reading, but it's been really fun. And school starts tomorrow! Woo hoo!

Eisen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi again! I came across a program by Martha Alderson & Agent Jill Corcoran called "PlotWriMo: Revise Your Novel in a Month". Has anyone tried this? Was it useful?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Husband went out of town this weekend, so I had a very productive time.

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Hi again! I came across a program by Martha Alderson & Agent Jill Corcoran called "PlotWriMo: Revise Your Novel in a Month". Has anyone tried this? Was it useful?

I actually just started this! I wish I had done it a little earlier. I am pretty far along in my edits, but it's still giving me lots of useful ideas and information. I would recommend it.

And yay, Heza! I think writing weekends are the best. I've gone away for solo writing retreats a few times (with three kids, it's the only way to ensure a solid chunk of writing time). So wonderful and productive.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Hi Che! I'm on Write on Con, too. I just sent you a friend request over there.

How's everyone doing? I'm up to my ears with writing projects and beta reading, but it's been really fun. And school starts tomorrow! Woo hoo!

Thanks for friending me on Write On Con!

I'm still unsure what to expect from this. It's been fun so far but I don't really expect anything to happen.

I got some good comments on query though so that's been nice and I've been working on it more.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
How's school been going, Kate? Everyone settling back into the routine?

We can always tell when school has started because traffic gets a million times worse. It's like suddenly, the parents have to change their pattern and the rest of us have no idea how to adjust. I hope we find the sweet spot (time) for our commute again. I've totally forgotten what it was last school year.... But right now, it's taking us an hour and a half to get to work in the mornings.

Glad you're enjoying Write on Con, Che. Great job on all the good comments for your query!

I'm in a panic. So I've been beat-sheeting my novel because the plot was all over the place, and I've finally gotten to the point where I realize I'm probably going to have to let go of some dear-to-me subplots, and it's really painful. Those were some of the best parts, and now, what is my story even about?! *sigh* Organizing this story has certainly been a learning experience.

Someone hug me. :e2bummed:

Last edited:

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
How's school been going, Kate? Everyone settling back into the routine?

We can always tell when school has started because traffic gets a million times worse. It's like suddenly, the parents have to change their pattern and the rest of us have no idea how to adjust. I hope we find the sweet spot (time) for our commute again. I've totally forgotten what it was last school year.... But right now, it's taking us an hour and a half to get to work in the mornings.

Glad you're enjoying Write on Con, Che. Great job on all the good comments for your query!

I'm in a panic. So I've been beat-sheeting my novel because the plot was all over the place, and I've finally gotten to the point where I realize I'm probably going to have to let go of some dear-to-me subplots, and it's really painful. Those were some of the best parts, and now, what is my story even about?! *sigh* Organizing this story has certainly been a learning experience.

Someone hug me. :e2bummed:

The back-to-school launch was successful! I now have a third grader and two kindergarteners, and they're all doing great, though exhausted and starving all the time. I'm so glad we have a three-day weekend.

And hang in there! It will be so much better for what you're doing. Sometimes you have to rip it apart to put it together better. You can do it! You rock!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I SWEAR I'm going to nerve up and start my upper MG epistolic! grrr! Serious face!

I might also make my crit group read the rough draft as I go! I think I need the encouragement!

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm revising book 2 of my series. Well, that's not quite accurate. I'm procrastinating while I think about revising book 2. (I did actually right a new chapter one, but there is a lot more work to do.) After this post, I will be work, work, work!!! Right after I go buy some shoes. What is everyone else up to?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I'm revising book 2 of my series. Well, that's not quite accurate. I'm procrastinating while I think about revising book 2. (I did actually right a new chapter one, but there is a lot more work to do.) After this post, I will be work, work, work!!! Right after I go buy some shoes. What is everyone else up to?

My work-work got busy. I also don't feel well and have been to a few doctor's appointments. So I haven't done a lot on my WIP. I think I did happen upon an actual title... or working title at least. Though the cadence of it would require me to change my MC's name. Right now he's got a 2-syllable, 2-syllable name and I think he needs a 3-syllable, 1 syllable name to make the title pop. It's one of those "Random Boy Name and the Title of the Book" titles... Too cheesy?

What kind of shoes are you buying!? I love buying shoes (they're the only clothing that reasonably still fits season after season...:popcorn: <- this is the only smile I could find that's stuffing its face.)

After that, though, you get to work, you!

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
My work-work got busy. I also don't feel well and have been to a few doctor's appointments. So I haven't done a lot on my WIP. I think I did happen upon an actual title... or working title at least. Though the cadence of it would require me to change my MC's name. Right now he's got a 2-syllable, 2-syllable name and I think he needs a 3-syllable, 1 syllable name to make the title pop. It's one of those "Random Boy Name and the Title of the Book" titles... Too cheesy?

What kind of shoes are you buying!? I love buying shoes (they're the only clothing that reasonably still fits season after season...:popcorn: <- this is the only smile I could find that's stuffing its face.)

After that, though, you get to work, you!

A working title is a good thing, though. Titles are difficult! I'm sorry you're feeling bad and work-work is keeping you busy. Boy name plus title sounds fine to me. You can always just shorten it to boy name only (ala Artemis Fowl) or title once you get some feedback. I say you should go buy yourself some shoes :)

I was going to go for rain boots! (I have a coupon, too) I figured I'd be able to get flashy colors and water-proofing for the winter. Sadly, they didn't have my size. And the only color they had was black. The universe must be telling me not to shop...then again, maybe, its telling me I need to shop more!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
A working title is a good thing, though. Titles are difficult! I'm sorry you're feeling bad and work-work is keeping you busy. Boy name plus title sounds fine to me. You can always just shorten it to boy name only (ala Artemis Fowl) or title once you get some feedback. I say you should go buy yourself some shoes :)

If I need to shorten it, then I will probably go with just Title. It somewhat sounds like a contemporary thriller, then, though. We'll see. I think I probably have plenty of time to think it over. I was going to actually tell you the title, but then my mind blanked and I totally forgot the last name I'd given him (because it was a new one)... But now I've remembered! So the new working title is Theodore Vex and the Grave Mistake (it's about necromancers... though I'm still not sold on that first name—I might change it still).

I was going to go for rain boots! (I have a coupon, too) I figured I'd be able to get flashy colors and water-proofing for the winter. Sadly, they didn't have my size. And the only color they had was black. The universe must be telling me not to shop...then again, maybe, its telling me I need to shop more!
I give you permission to shop more! I used to wear mostly black for some reason, so black boots would've been right up my alley. Now, though, I'm consciously trying to wear bright colors. I don't actually own boots, but this being Houston, I should really probably invest in a pair. We get a lot of rain.

In other news, I got the kickoff email from the NaNoWriMo MLs (municipal leaders) for my region today. I hadn't even given thought to NaNo, but maybe I should try again this year... I'd planned to start some serious drafting in November anyway.

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
If I need to shorten it, then I will probably go with just Title. It somewhat sounds like a contemporary thriller, then, though. We'll see. I think I probably have plenty of time to think it over. I was going to actually tell you the title, but then my mind blanked and I totally forgot the last name I'd given him (because it was a new one)... But now I've remembered! So the new working title is Theodore Vex and the Grave Mistake (it's about necromancers... though I'm still not sold on that first name—I might change it still).

I give you permission to shop more! I used to wear mostly black for some reason, so black boots would've been right up my alley. Now, though, I'm consciously trying to wear bright colors. I don't actually own boots, but this being Houston, I should really probably invest in a pair. We get a lot of rain.

In other news, I got the kickoff email from the NaNoWriMo MLs (municipal leaders) for my region today. I hadn't even given thought to NaNo, but maybe I should try again this year... I'd planned to start some serious drafting in November anyway.

Oh! I like Theodore Vex and the Grave Mistake. It has a bit of a thriller/mystery vibe to it, but a nod to the necromancy!

I buy a lot of black/gray/brown clothes. I decided to try to branch out with the rain boots. I can go a bit brighter with my shoes.

We got that bad snowstorm here in NC last year and I had to ditch my car and walk into my neighborhood. (It also produced this meme I find hilarious: http://www.wral.com/wral-tv/image_gallery/13392751/ )

On the off chance there are snowstorms and trampling staypuft marshmallow men, I want water-proof footwear! Back to boot shopping :)

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Hi guys! Just checking in. Heza, I love that title! It's so intriguing and catchy. Very impressive. I suck at titles.

And go, Supergirl! So awesome that you're into book 2. Very exciting.

Also, I have bright red rainboots, and I love them. So nice to have color on a dreary day.

I've been kneedeep in querying. Blech. Two fulls turned into passes - so depressing. I'm taking a little break, to preserve my sanity and get some fresh eyes for another edit. In better news, this weekend is the Rutgers conference, which should be really fun.

Happy October, everyone!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Supergirlofnc said:
Oh! I like Theodore Vex and the Grave Mistake. It has a bit of a thriller/mystery vibe to it, but a nod to the necromancy!

Thanks! (And you, too, Kate!) I'm just not sure I'm keen on writing Theodore a million times in the draft... Also every time I hear that name, I think of The Chipmunks.

(And Stay Puffed was hilarious. Sometimes, I'm glad we don't get snow—just hurricanes.)

I've been kneedeep in querying. Blech. Two fulls turned into passes - so depressing. I'm taking a little break, to preserve my sanity and get some fresh eyes for another edit. In better news, this weekend is the Rutgers conference, which should be really fun.
Awh. :Hug2: I know it's hard and disappointing. Hang in there!

Happy October, everyone!
Happy October. We put up very miniscule decorations outside, and we have a Halloween party to go to, but that's about it. (We've decided to be Box Trolls because that seems like the easiest costume possible and we still have moving boxes. ;) )

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
Happy November!

I finished my first set of revisions to my book two. I'm really happy with it overall. Although, as soon as I pushed send, I thought of three or four smallish things I should've added/tweaked. But I'm sure there will be more rounds to come!

Of course, it's still nerve-wracking. I hope my editor likes it.

What is everyone else up to? I was thinking about participating in NaNoWriMo this month. I've never done it before.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my first set of revisions to my book two. I'm really happy with it overall.

Oh, yay, Laurie! Good job!

Sorry I'm late to congratulate. The start of November has been a busy few days.

Although, as soon as I pushed send, I thought of three or four smallish things I should've added/tweaked. But I'm sure there will be more rounds to come!

I hate sending things. I mean, I love to be done with something and move into the next phase of things, but I always have that slight panic whenever I'm actually clicking Send. And it never really matters what it is—drafts for review, beta comments, posts here, emails to my friends... —I'm always getting that little tight ball in the pit of my stomach. I stress easily, lol.

What is everyone else up to? I was thinking about participating in NaNoWriMo this month. I've never done it before.
I'm still sort of debating NaNo... I totally should have made up my mind about it on the 31st (not that there would have been time to write yet, anyway). I'm not sure, though. On the one hand, I've never won NaNo, and I'm afraid I'd be setting myself up for failure. On the other hand, there are tons of events set up in my region, and I do have trouble meeting other local writers.... Oh, and I also have 5 vacation days I have to burn between now and January or I'll lose them, so I'd considered using them to write and catch up.

What did you end up deciding?

Also, I was wondering if anyone around here was entering the final Baker's Dozen contest at Miss Snark's First Victim.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Happy November!

I finished my first set of revisions to my book two. I'm really happy with it overall. Although, as soon as I pushed send, I thought of three or four smallish things I should've added/tweaked. But I'm sure there will be more rounds to come!

Very nerve-wracking, but you did it and you sent it. Very good job. And I'm sure the editor will like it.
I'm still sort of debating NaNo...
You should so go it a go. Or we could do our own mini-NaNo and write 5000 words in one weekend.