gender of main character in picture book

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
Currently, my character is gender neutral and no where in the story is the kid's name used. In earlier version's I had a unisex name peppered in the dialogue, so it can easily be re-added if needed. The story relates to losing a grandparent. So, on one hand I like the idea of a gender neutral character because it doesn't limit the experience and makes the book applicable to any child. But, on the other hand I think it's impractical/impossible to keep the character gender neutral once it is illustrated, so maybe I need to commit?

I guess I am not asking a specific question regarding this topic, I am just looking for insight.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One idea, add another character of the opposite gender. You might still keep the one as the main character and just have the other character be there, or have both share equally in the grief of losing a grandparents. You might be able to use this additional character is some way; for example, if the character is older he/she may help the MC; if younger, then the MC can help the younger one cope.

All in all though, I don't think it matter whether the child is a boy or girl.

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
One idea, add another character of the opposite gender. You might still keep the one as the main character and just have the other character be there, or have both share equally in the grief of losing a grandparents. You might be able to use this additional character is some way; for example, if the character is older he/she may help the MC; if younger, then the MC can help the younger one cope.

All in all though, I don't think it matter whether the child is a boy or girl.

I briefly mention a sister, but I never thought to bring her along for the ride as you're suggesting. I am gonna think about that some more.

Thanks!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful though, an extra character can add to the word count which can be difficult with a PB anyway.

It doesn't take much to add "Becky and Jeremy" (for example), however, rather than just "Becky" if that will work for the story.

Again, I don't think it really matters with a PB. When I was a little kid I never thought "I don't want to read/be read that story because it's about a girl." I think those distinctions are made later.

Last edited:

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many of my child's illustrated picture books have androgynous child characters, and it's super helpful. Could be a boy, could be a girl. It's all in the illustration. I can think of several examples, and I could get more specific when I'm next at home near the bookshelf if you'd like. :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Many of my child's illustrated picture books have androgynous child characters, and it's super helpful. Could be a boy, could be a girl. It's all in the illustration. I can think of several examples, and I could get more specific when I'm next at home near the bookshelf if you'd like. :)
It's not uncommon. Lots of small children look pretty androgynous these days. A shortish bowl-cut hairstyle, and t-shirt or sweater and jeans is pretty neutral.

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the perspective.

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score

I would love some examples. I know I have come across some myself (I check out like 15 books every two weeks from the library), but nothing is jumping out at me right now. So, if it's not too much trouble, please give me some titles and I'll look them up.
Thank you!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Thought of one! 'Blueberries for Sal' by Robert McCloskey! If the character wasn't named 'Sal' and identified as a girl, it could just as easily be a little boy.

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
'Blueberries for Sal' by Robert McCloskey!

off to google! thanks!

...reporting back. I didn't realize it but that is the exact book that I showed to a friend to give an example of how I envisioned an androgynous character might look. cool!

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And it's a naturalistic drawing, as well, not one so abstracted that it's a two-dots-and-a -line face, or 'cartoony'. Really, when they're small, it's the hair and the clothes that make most of the difference.
As for the clothes, I don't know your story, but the only sticking point I can think of is if the child is taken to the funeral, when the parents might dress the child more 'formally', which usually has more gender cues.
But taking a small child to a funeral is less common these days, so you could possibly fudge it.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If you plan on a traditional publisher, you have little control over the illustrations.

If the text works as is, leave it. Let the illustrator, art director, and editor decide how to show the characters.