Jed's Super-Dooper 'Ask a Mod' Thread (for all your Newbie Questions)

RCtheBanditQueen

Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Ironic...

Thank you, Kylabelle! :) Now I know. That was really perplexing me. :p

Jack Lebowski

Registered
Reaction score
Rep Points

What are the Rep Points for? I see that I have a few myself. Not sure why, but thanks to everyone who gave them to me.

I assume if somebody got a number of "negative" points there might be some sort of watchful eye kept on the person. But what about good points? Do we get acclaim, a chance to moderate, or heck even a cookie?

I thank whoever answers in advance. But just like the bank robber says in Dirty Harry-"I gots to know."
Jack

P.S. The actor who plays the robber(Albert Popwell RIP) is in the first three DH films. Not sure why he wasn't in the last two. Loved that dude's acting.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Reps don't really serve a function per se. They're a nice way to tell someone they liked a post of theirs, or to add something that doesn't really belong in the thread, for example. Some people use them to carry on conversations. :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We send you a muffin basket when you hit 100,000.

Not really. They're just a way of letting you know we think you've done or said something good.

Maryn, who also loved Popwell and is delighted you know him by name

Edit: Ooh, me and Sara tag-teamed!

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
(Btw, the fearsome dragon doesn't like reps. Not at all. Like, he doesn't absolutely love them. :D )

Jack Lebowski

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for answering my question all! Much appreciated!

Maryn, who also loved Popwell and is delighted you know him by name

HUGE(in love, not size) movie and TV buff.

Heck, I even know Alan Smithee!

(Now there's a pop culture reference. The most prolific director EVUH!)

Jack

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've used Smithee's name in fiction more than once, although the reference was cut in the final version for exactly the reason you mention. Kindred souls, eh?

Maryn, surprised to learn she has a soul rather than a shriveled black hole of some kind

compositions

Banned
Reaction score
Is there any way to see what reputation someone said to you? Earlier I had a notification, of a comment from someone. It was very nice and I wanted to say a quick reply -- is that possible? I can't find the reputation page now.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any way to see what reputation someone said to you? Earlier I had a notification, of a comment from someone. It was very nice and I wanted to say a quick reply -- is that possible? I can't find the reputation page now.

Yes: click on the Settings link in the top right corner of the page (if you're using the standard AW Style for web browsers - you can select that from the drop-down menu at the bottom left of the screen). That shows you the reputation comments you've received, and if you scroll half-way down that page, it will show you the reputation comments you've given, as well.

Runnoft

I never keep enough groceries
Registered
Reaction score
How do I get a signature above my non-existent pic? How do I get signature lines below my post?
How do I update my profile?
Looked around and even used the search function and did not find the answers to these questions.
Thank you.

RCtheBanditQueen

Registered
Reaction score
Where can I go for help if I've forgotten my password/login deets?

I'm still logged in, but I want to log in on my other laptop browser, and I can't remember my password at the moment... >.>

Princess Amps

Writer Chick
Registered
Reaction score
Where can I go for help if I've forgotten my password/login deets?

I'm still logged in, but I want to log in on my other laptop browser, and I can't remember my password at the moment... >.>

Isn't there something on the login screen that says "forgot password?" I believe they can email you a link to change your password. I'm a newbie myself though, so I may be wrong.

On that note, I have a Q. A dumb one. :p What dimensions do you use to make your avatar pics big and clear? I used a photo, but had to shrink it down on photoshop since it was too big to upload. So now it looks really small compared to other avatars. . .

Princess Amps

Writer Chick
Registered
Reaction score
@L.Y. Thanks! I was wondering why some people had big ones, despite the small dimension requirements. :)

Irish Whiskey

Registered
Reaction score
Question about forum etiquette: I've never really used a forum much (this is my first) but I've lurked a bit on some and noticed that... eh... "thread necromancers?" (IE: someone who posts in a really old thread) or something along those lines are usually frowned upon. At the same time, people don't seem to like when people make a new thread about something that already has a thread pertaining to it. How does the general populace of AW feel about this? Sorry if this is posted somewhere, I did look. Honest! Could be that it's a stupid question, too. I dunno, so that's why I'm asking. lol

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
This is a fairly broad question, so I decided to use some answers that I dug up from an old thread.

In general, these are some good guidelines to follow:
Why continue a conversation when everyone else has left the room?

The question to ask yourself is:

• Will it add to the value of the conversation?

• Does it serve the greater community?

• Might I be better off, as a member of the community, in dealing here and now?

That said, it's not a bad idea to delve into the past before asking about passive voice, or toward/towards, or the number of spaces after a comma, or why anyone with any wits at all thinks Greedo shot first.

But there are circumstances where reviving an old thread is recommended:
And if you're posting in the Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Check area, it doesn't really matter HOW old a thread is, if there's an existing thread on the agency, agent, publisher, or whatever you want to discuss, you do it on the old thread. Search first! Otherwise, some poor mod is going to have to personally merge your shiny new thread with the older one.

There are times where a bit of inquiry is needed before resurrecting an old thread:
Best avoid doing this in Share Your Work and other critique forums. Check the date at the top of the thread. Check the author's profile to see when they last signed in. Are they still interested in receiving feedback? Have they already rewritten the query letter/writing sample you want to comment on? If in doubt, ask the author! If they don't reply, this should be taken as a "no thanks."

And there are times where resurrection is truly a bad idea:
As Newbie Mod, I frown on reviving old Intro threads just to run up the post to reach the required 50 for Share Your Work. I delete those posts.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's not the end of the world if you necro a thread, or start a new thread when there's one already; someone will notice, possibly even a mod, and alert someone to merge the thread, or otherwise curate the conversation.