Another new one from big sky country!

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
and yes! Montana Horses has had the ranch up for a while. Fantastic people, probably is muddy/dusty (but...commuting distance to Sacajawea Inn in Three Forks!)

Don't know what the arrangement is, but the property is technically owned by an investment identity. I stopped in and met 'em once, nice people and a real nice setup. And yes indeed, the Sacajawea ...only ate there once, but good food, great atmosphere, and the annual plague of bicycle riders bent on suicide on the two-lane frontage road!!

The big problem with most of the area north of Three Forks (aside from the horrid clay so-called soil) is once you get up off the flat, you can drill 700 feet and still not hit water (closer to 1000 feet over in Broadwater County). The Clarkston subdivision itself was a (well-documented) scam -- they couldn't sell the lots to savvy Montanans, so they sold 'em to gullible Hawaiians!

Murdoch's! Yep! We lost our "high end" clothing store, Western Warehouse, so now we have what ever Murdoch's offers AND we can get that new weed whacker twine AND several bags of feed at the same time, so it's all good!

While I was out of state for 29 years, Murdoch's ate Big R that used to carry all the weird stuff you couldn't get anywhere else. I guess that side is now Shipton's, where it still exists. I wasn't real impressed with the Shipton's in Billings, tho. Like Murdoch's in Bozeman a whole lot better! (Tho I've got a Tractor Supply just up the road... cheaper than Murdoch's, but not quite the selection.)

That's where I get traction sand also, for the back of my pickup, which of course I forgot to take out one year.

My dually is rear-heavy enough that I don't need sandbags... it's the front that tends to slide!!

So, as the days wear on , the bags open, and the dirt falls out, and gets rained on, and grass starts to grow, and pretty soon I'm driving around with my own little garden. The Murdoch guys were great! They kept wanting to sell me seeds to see what else I could grow back there...

Oho, a portable garden, what a fantastic concept! So what all did you grow back there? I'm thinkin' zucchini makes a good start. :D

Q: Why do people in Great Falls lock their cars during August?
A: So they don't come back and find bags of zucchini on the front seat!

(Truth.)

Last edited:

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Hawaiians in Three Forks? I had no idea! Lots of beach I guess. That's an interesting place to settle.

I have only been through Laurel (as in, saw the exit sign whiz by) on my way to Billings, but I do like the country south of there (Lovell, Wyo).

Montana definitely has something for everyone! We have the tall hulking mountains like Aps, while I do prefer some openness (why I like Livingston but probably would hate the wind).

The Flathead has really changed quite a bit. Lots of people from elsewhere who would like to make it just like where they came from, the same story happening in so many places. Probably some good changes in places but as you may remember, Montana really was the west - we had real brothels, guys rode their horses into bars up the canyon - if you drive rt 2 you might have gone by the packers roost and others- fist fights are still very regular events when we go out dancing (thankfully husband no longer involved in those), churches organize "ladies shoots" And funny things, if you golf and have ever golfed up at West Glacier, you know you get a "free drop" if you ball lands in an elk or griz track!

yes, shopping at murdochs or Ag supply. Miracle Whip is considered sort of exotic (that's changing, though, as we now have things like Perrier, flavored oils, gluten free tater chips and so forth that one would never find in our house)! And between sept and thanksgiving it can be very hard to find anyone to get things done (farriers, mechanics, etc.). That's a pretty sacred time.

Not for everyone.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
The hapless Hawaiians didn't settle in Clarkston... rather, they got suckered into buying worthless lots (which still aren't worth a dime more than they were 30 years ago) as an 'investment' in the Big Sky Country and the Last Best Place, which is a helluva motto for real estate agents. (Bah. It's still the Treasure State to me.) Doubtless some had fantasies about retiring to their cabin in the woods, but far as I can determine (having been over the plat map for just about the entire subdivision) none of 'em ever did so, and nearly all have since sold their lots. As my sister put it, no doubt those that did later arrive (and discovered that a good many of the lots don't even have access and that power and water are pipe dreams) said, "I bought what??" and relisted the lot ASAP. Foreclosures are practically a spectator sport.

I like the wind, tho Livingston's done got out of hand there... back around 1980 some wit took a notion to put three wind generator towers on the hill above town. Three days after the project was finished it blew 103mph, and for some years after their tangled remains lay at the foot of the hill as a warning to others.

I do miss Trader Joe's, but mostly cuz of the goodies one could get for cheap. They need to open one in Billings. :D

Last edited:

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, going over Bozeman Pass with typhoon force winds...epic. Funny about the wind generators! Buton the plus side, you can fly a kite any damn day you want!! What we get in the NW is fog, serious fog. Fog like you can't see the car ahead of you fog. Fog like when you're skiing you can't tell which way is down, until you stop (then it finds you) fog.

And sorry about the Hawaiians. That does seem like a rough deal. Clarkston...I think there's a Wheat Montana (tasty baked goods) there and a topless bar...something for everyone! But I might be confusing it with a hundred other dry dusty Montana towns! And there are some seriously funky towns in that neck of woods. Stephen King would go nuts.

Should have grown zucchini, as opposed to napweed!!:D

No Trader Joes up by us. But we DO have a Mongolian Grill, so it's not like we don't have culture, AND a Mexican restaurant (Taco Johns, but still).

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Clarkston was once enough of a ranching center (if not exactly a town) to have not one but two local schoolhouses, plus a couple rail sidings. That all faded away a long long time ago. If you go over the hill past Trident and keep going north another 10 miles or so, there it is... The Clarkston rail station is still standing, but in rough shape. Some of what are now residences used to be the old ranch buildings.

If you keep going north and have a good enough jeep (and it hasn't rained lately), you eventually come out at Toston.

Wheat Montana and the titty bars (I think there's two now) are about 20 miles away by road, over northwest of Three Forks, just north of the junction of I-90 and Hwy 287. -- There are a couple subdivisions out past there now too... one of 'em, the developers intended to have a Walmart and a whole town center (or so they claimed), but that didn't go anywhere (probably due to the fact that drilling a well around there can be an exercise in futility) and now those are 'cheap' lots.

The road along the river near Townsend fogs in real good sometimes too... you can tell you're still on the road because you're not in the river. :eek:

I think there's a Mongolian Grill here too, but my idea of culture is more like the excellent local cafe. Or one can take in the symphony in Great Falls (and they have an orchestral program for school-age kids, which I was glad to hear is still going -- it was already a Thing when I went to school there, mumblety-mumble decades ago... class of 1972).

Oh, there's also the annual cowboy poetry gathering in Lewistown. I'm gonna try to get up there ... one of the performers is a fella whose singin' I really like, who I saw perform in California and talked to a few times... tho he grew up in Billings. I think it'd be hilarious to show up and give him a fright. :D (Besides, he's a got a new CD I have to buy!)

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I see I DID confuse Clarkston.I was thinking it was the tiny burg at that 287/I-90 junction (one part of Three forks I guess). And TWO titty bars...culture blooming everywhere (like the algal blooms on Flathead Lake). We cut over that way through Helena and Townsend to avoid the longer trek through Missoula when heading east. I do like the area by canyon ferry lake also - big, wide, sweeping. And, speaking of little towns, I love Avon, almost bought land there (between Ovando and Helena). And speaking of stephen king tiny towns, there is Helmsburg which has a kickass rodeo labor day but not much else (no grocery, no fuel, not even a titty bar). Sometimes see curtains flicker in a house or two as one drives through, a little creepy.

But water is an issue here too. Even with all the rains, we can be dry, particularly out west of town and people who bought property there have had truck in water some years. Luckily, not an issue for us but some friends of mine who bought a nice little lot outside Dillon dealt with that (great views, great land, but where the hell is the water?)

And I 'm so glad they have the symphony for HS kids in GF. I don't think they have anythng lke that for our HS kids. But, many years ago they did bring in Carmen. After I solemnly promised to help clean rifles and prepare displays for the upcoming gun shows,my husband agreed to go and enjoyed it (so he said). Mostly though, culture in our house is pretty much, "let's use the good (chinette) whiteware tonight cuz mom's coming over."

And I like Dave Stamey. I like a lot of cowboy poets/singers. We saw Ian Tyson a few years back. Even with his "new" voice he still sounded fine and of course the audience helped him plenty. His opening act, Mike Beck...well, Ian was awesome anyway. Also love Baxter Black. I'd love to go on one of those pack trips with Dave or some other singer. Sigh. When I win the lottery ;)

Last edited:

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
wickes, that's the other creepy town I was thinking of, by radersburg. Listed as a ghost town but there are people there, I think. Maybe not...

TGrace

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats! I definitely feel you with the whole "it feels like a mirage" toward the end of a draft. When I finally finished the draft of a story I'd been working on forever, it felt like I'd been underwater for ages without realizing it and just came up for air. Good luck revising/on your next project!

Lindy

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, bombergirl69. I'm still pretty new here too, but your intro caught my eye. I'm a Colorado resident now, but I grew up in Laurel, went to school and lived in Glendive for a number of years. I miss MT terribly and try to get back to visit whenever I can.

Congrats on finishing your first draft!

Reziac: I just have to say hi. It's not every day I run into someone who lives in my hometown!

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
We cut over that way through Helena and Townsend to avoid the longer trek through Missoula when heading east. I do like the area by canyon ferry lake also - big, wide, sweeping. And, speaking of little towns, I love Avon, almost bought land there (between Ovando and Helena).

Did they ever put a proper roof on that church near Ovando, the one where the roof sweeps down to the ground at the front corner? It's right off the highway. Roof used to be just tarpaper (probably because it was so curved it couldn't really be shingled) and always had holes in it from kids trying to walk on it. 1960s 'modern' design, pfft.

Luckily, not an issue for us but some friends of mine who bought a nice little lot outside Dillon dealt with that (great views, great land, but where the hell is the water?)

Under the rocks. Several hundred feet of rocks!! At $40/foot to drill through 'em.

And I 'm so glad they have the symphony for HS kids in GF.

When I was a kid it was free to any kid of school age. They had concerts ...once a month? every Sunday?? I forget. And there's a youth program associated with it, tho that's already 110% of what I know about it.

Here's planning: in my 11th grade English class, we spent a quarter dissecting Hamlet. A major-league professional company came to Great Falls to perform Hamlet, and as part of our classwork we were required to attend (which cost all of a buck, but they let students in free -- they used the big auditorium in the mall, and the place was PACKED). Four hours long!! and the final was the next day. No one flunked.

I'd love to go on one of those pack trips with Dave or some other singer. Sigh. When I win the lottery ;)

Yeah, that would be the way to go! a campfire with real campfire music.

wickes, that's the other creepy town I was thinking of, by radersburg. Listed as a ghost town but there are people there, I think. Maybe not...

Radersberg is still a town, tho I've never gotten around to going up that road to see it.

Reziac: I just have to say hi. It's not every day I run into someone who lives in my hometown!

Well, howdy, neighbor!!

JubbyO

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and first drafts is the most exciting part of the story!

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Lindy hi! Where in colorado! I went the other direction! from CO to MT. I really liked CO, though (I was in Ft C and steamboat). Fabulous riding (bought two horses down there!)

And Jubby thanks so much! I am kind of pleased to have finished but it's a bit daunting to do revisions.That's why I had to take a class, because when writing, I found I had structure. I had a thing to do. But revisions, not so much. So, I am learning how to do it!!

I like my story. i would like to make it as good as it can be. But I do not want to make it my life work!!

And Reziac - not sure about the Ovando church. There are some houses that look like they were built n the days of Custer and have not been renovated since!

I love that drive though. Really loved Avon - lots of big land, great water!!!!!! great for horses, but also a great price tag, unfortunately.

What a great way to learn Hamlet. I am not aware of that approach here, but I don't follow the HS. i WISH they did that! I'd go! They did bring in the folks to Carmen,and we have Glacier Symphony Orchestra. And darn it, we do a pretty good Messiah at Christmas!

I was thinking (not seriously) about doing a train trip with Ian tyson (they offered them Vancouver to...Jasper? can't remember). i thought that would be awesome but a pack trip would be waaaay better. Or elko for the cowboy poetry thing.

and yes, radersburg is a town, but wickes (sp?) is a "ghost town" right near it. it IS inhabited. I think. Creepy. Like I said, perfect for Stephen King.:evil

Lindy

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Elizabeth...so way south and east of Ft. Collins :tongue

Colorado is ok - but Montana will always be home!

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats! I definitely feel you with the whole "it feels like a mirage" toward the end of a draft. When I finally finished the draft of a story I'd been working on forever, it felt like I'd been underwater for ages without realizing it and just came up for air. Good luck revising/on your next project!

Thanks for this! Yes, under water! It does do that! Ill feel a lot better when I get this thing revised so at least I like it! Then if nothing else, I'll just read it to myself!! :D

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I like my story. i would like to make it as good as it can be. But I do not want to make it my life work!!

Well, put the thing away for a while before doing that final edit... makes it much easier to see what to fix.

I was thinking (not seriously) about doing a train trip with Ian tyson (they offered them Vancouver to...Jasper? can't remember). i thought that would be awesome but a pack trip would be waaaay better. Or elko for the cowboy poetry thing.

I know a guy who was doing wagon train adventures, from Sheridan WY to somewhere in Alaska, I forget where the far end stopped. They take a few passengers each trip. The one guy had some medical issues and I don't know what the partner is doing now, they haven't kept up the website.

and yes, radersburg is a town, but wickes (sp?) is a "ghost town" right near it. it IS inhabited. I think. Creepy. Like I said, perfect for Stephen King.:evil

Oh, Wickes. That's in the next county over! Yeah, let's roast Mr.King in the beehive kiln. :D I love ghost towns. Some are only a "townsite original plat" on the Cadastral; others still have residents.

http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/wickes.htm

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Where in colorado! I went the other direction! from CO to MT. I really liked CO, though (I was in Ft C and steamboat). Fabulous riding (bought two horses down there!)

Huh. I live somewhere between Fort Collins and Fort Morgan. Nine miles east of Kersey. I love it out here.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
I know Elizabeth! I looked at a horse down there (how I saw a goodpart of CO!)

And Kersey!! I loved Kersey! Looked at a horse out there too! And loved it! Greeley, not so much, but kersey was lovely!

I can't imagine a wagon ride from Sheridan to AK. My butt would et very, very tired. Not to mention, my horses might make it from Sheridan to Ranchester, maybe. Slowly.

i'd be more a "round up" girl - go out, set up camp, work all day then come back and sing around the campfire!

And yes, Wickes actually does still have residents. Well, maybe. Or something. I know Mr. Bomber's job takes him there from time to time and he dreads it. OTOH, we skied into Garnet ghost town one weeken and it was fabulous! Great skiing! Fun town.

But Wickes would be a great place for a story ;)

JRHardesty

Journeyman Harper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lindensaga.blogspot.com
Welcome aboard, BG!!

We live in Hungry Horse on the other side of the divide from you. I came here from Wyoming (Douglas), but it was a long, devious route to get here and included some time in the USAF and a few years in Missoula & Kalispell.

The wife (the other half of JR Hardesty) will be working in Glacier National Park again beginning this May. We have been all over the East side of GNP & surrounding area over the years, especially around Choteau. Love the Front.

TTFN.

-- Richard (the "R" in J R Hardesty)

theonewhocalls

Registered
Reaction score
Hey welcome! i'm new here as well, and from all the way down in Florida. Congrats on finishing your first draft! I hope the rest of the process goes super well for you! As for me, I finished a draft as well, I am just having a super hard time rereading what I wrote without wanting to cringe for the rest of eternity and not look back XD