How'd You Find This Site?

Mike27

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading a through a thread at 'Writermag' and the poster referred to a similar topic on this site.

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
I was innocently searching for pages about "submission" and "bondage" and stupid Google sent me to the PublishAmerica thread. :crazy: How was I to know?

Okay. I found my way here via this page on Making Light.

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
I found it in a complaint about PA

:poke: I found this site after reading two authors on a website that was lamblasting PA and decided it was worth checking out and I have been having fun since. The only thing that I regret is that I did not check it out before sending a book to Pa. Now how do you pick a logo to go beside your name and what do you put as the url when picking a graphic?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com

SeanDSchaffer

I found AW, believe it or not, through some harrassments I was receiving on my website guestbook a few months ago. I've since removed the guestbook entirely because of such things, I got to the point I was terrified to read my own guestbook.

Anyway, the individual kept referring me to AW to show me some stuff he had read about my publisher. I was initially highly offended by the stuff about PA because, well, I'm under contract with them. But honestly speaking, I've gotten kind of used to it, and though because I'm under contract with them I won't preach against them, I will say AW has been very enlightening about a lot of things such as the writing techniques and the great articles near the home page. I've found a wealth of information that will truly be invaluable to me in choosing a publisher for my second book. I'm already preparing to send out my first submission of that second manuscript.

So, though I do not respect the individual who harrassed me under the name 'Mr. Book,' I must say that I've found a good website for discussing and learning about the writing craft, and I guess I have (I'm sorry to say) him to thank for that.

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
SeanDSchaffer said:
So, though I do not respect the individual who harrassed me under the name 'Mr. Book,' I must say that I've found a good website for discussing and learning about the writing craft, and I guess I have (I'm sorry to say) him to thank for that.
That's a lousy way to get here! I'm glad you didn't make the "this guy's a turd, so the site must be full of turds" leap because of it, because AW's a great place. Welcome!

And it's good to learn you're looking at alternatives to PA for your next book. You'll find a lot more readers (and make more money). I assume you've seen The Neverending PublishAmerica Thread by now because of 'Mr. Book,' but if you haven't it's very enlightening.

Again, welcome to AW.

SeanDSchaffer

Galoot,

Thanks for the kind welcome; I highly appreciate it. You know: you said that you were glad I had not automatically jumped to a particular conclusion about the people here. Sadly to say, when I first came here about nine or ten months ago to look at the Neverending PA Thread, because of Mr. Book, (I don't think that's what it was called at the time; I don't honestly remember,) the only picture I had of an AbsoluteWriter was of that individual. So at first I actually had made that jump as you called it, because I thought that Mr. Book was representative of everyone here.

That's just human nature to think stuff like that. Especially when angry. We say things and believe things that we later regret. I'm just glad I've found a good writer's community to help me out with my writing. It's quite nice to be here.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
To sum things up quickly, I recently found WritingForums.com. From there I found myself here.

Gehanna

Last edited:

princess

i found this chat room through the web site Preditors and Editors. It is a wonderful site. It shows publishers, agents, convention which ones are recommended and and which ones are strongly not recommended.

I sent a book to PublishAmerica but they rejected it It was sad at the time but now from hearing all about PA I should be extremely thankful

Iggmoe

Lizard Catcher
Registered
Reaction score
I found it while Googling for "how to get published." Best semi-accidental discovery I ever made!

Eussie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.unendinglove.com
I found it doing a search on the web for "publish america scam". the top listing....the neverendingpublishamerica thread" lol

Rob-rite

A wanderer returning...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
robsweeney-singer.tumblr.com
I found it via a thread on the soon to be defunct BBC's Get Writing website.

I was going to put that I was looking to purchase a Water Cooler but that would have been silly.

Sorry ...

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Wow, Sean. We knew about (and hated) Mr Book. Lousy way to find us, like Galoot said, but I'm so glad you gave us another chance.

Question: Do most of you subscribe to the Absolute Write newsletter? This thread has been enlightening to me because I figured most people found the main site first, then clicked over to the forums, but I'm obviously wrong.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
oh heck, Jenna--ya should have asked that a long time ago :) I didn't find the main site (or subscribe) till WELL after I found the boards.

SeanDSchaffer

JennaGlatzer said:
Wow, Sean. We knew about (and hated) Mr Book. Lousy way to find us, like Galoot said, but I'm so glad you gave us another chance.

Question: Do most of you subscribe to the Absolute Write newsletter? This thread has been enlightening to me because I figured most people found the main site first, then clicked over to the forums, but I'm obviously wrong.

Jenna,

I'm glad I gave you guys another chance. This is probably the best writing site and forum I've ever visited. There are lots of friendly people here and oodles of great information. After I realized what PA had done to me I started lurking around here more and more, curious about the writing aspect of the site and what I might be able to do to get my book back. I found that the people here want to help all writers, including PA'ers like me. I think that attitude of helping all writers is what eventually got me to like this place and to see you all as real people, and not as exact copies of the said Guestbook Slammer.

In answer to your question posed above, I personally joined the boards about a week-and-a-half ago, but only a couple nights ago signed up for the newsletter. I had originally thought this entire site was nothing more than these forums. I was obviously mistaken on that but, once I did find the main page, I was more than willing to at least look up the articles and then, eventually I signed up for the Newsletter.

Anyway, it's good to be here, and no matter how I found this site or thought of it at one time; I found it... and I like it.:Thumbs:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I found this place about a year or so ago through Writer’s Digest Best Writing Sites.

I would only pop in every once in a while and lurk over at the ‘Novel’ thread though. I didn’t really check the rest of the place out until recently when I became a member and I must say – I am impressed!

The new Forum format and features are pretty cool. And there’s a lot going on here that I never even realized until I actually joined and looked around. I feel like a kid in a candy store!

I wouldn’t be surprised if this place was made the "Number One Site for Writers" in Writer’s Digest or any other writing publication or web guide.

Way to go, Jenna!