The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Shoot, got a form R on a query. I wish they wouldn't give us bad news on weekends :(

I sent out a revenge query which helped. A little. Unfortunately my house lacks cookies right now (hint, hint).

I finished one ref book I wanted to read this weekend. The best part was about Hathor. I never noticed before I am referred to as the Lady of Inebriety. Cool :e2drunk:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
How about guacamole & chips? One can never have too much guacamole...

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
MS6 is just tearing right along. Writing first drafts is fun*!

*I reserve take-backsies rights on this statement.

Best of luck to Nora & Antonin with your going-back-to-school plans. I was one of those students who took 20+ credits a semester and enrolled in summer classes because I just wanted it over with as quickly as possible :p I could maybe see enrolling in a class or two for fun, but becoming a "student" again doesn't appeal to me at all.

I took a full credit load and voluntary summer school just so I could fit in extra unnecessary classes into my schedule. I'm a total nerd. :) I wish just going to various undergrads for the rest of my life was an option as a job.

I think everyone was a bit surprised that I didn't try to pursue a Masters program after undergrad, but I knew my undergrad degree (astrophysics) wasn't likely to be a viable career and I'm not as fond of research as I am of just learning about other people's research. Anyway the program I am doing now is for accounting, so a very different tack!

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
Re: masters

I want to get my masters in educational leadership so I can have more opportunities in the teaching world, but we (my husband and I) have so much college debt already that our loan payments are almost as much as the mortgage.

Tonight he said, why spend more money to be a teacher, when that's not even what you really want to do? I'd rather you spend the next 10 years working on being a writer.

I still want to get a masters, just because I love school, but he's right. And I'm so lucky to have a supportive spouse! Also, he's super cheap--cough--frugal, and writing doesn't require an upfront investment of money. ;)

ETA: I fully support any efforts to further education! I had to turn down Harvard due to lack of funds, so talk of advanced degrees makes me wistful /jealous.

Very supportive spouse!
Speaking of going back to/continuing school, I just paid for classes. I'm shooting for nursing school. :X

congrats! there is such a demand for nurses.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Well, crud. That full request I got three days ago? Just got a form R on it. :( I thought I'd have a bit more time in revel in the thing.

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
Well, crud. That full request I got three days ago? Just got a form R on it. :( I thought I'd have a bit more time in revel in the thing.

I'm so sorry. And a form, too? Pooey. Keep those feet moving forward.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
That's just it...we never know when we're going to get shot down. Or accepted...for that matter.

tri

True. Still, the speed surprised me. She did have a synopsis and first pages before requesting.

Aww that sucks. At least it was quick?
*passes cookies and wine*

Thanks. Even if I'm not sure the speed was an advantage. Better than never hearing, I suppose.

I'm so sorry. And a form, too? Pooey. Keep those feet moving forward.

I sent out a bunch of revenge queries until I didn't feel bad anymore. Probably more than I expected -- since 16 minutes after sending one of them I got a form R from the agent.

At least I have a couple subs outstanding, even if they are partials. And now an even more ridiculous number of outstanding queries.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Ack, my first order of business is checking my inbox. I have numerous (smaller) contract offers at the moment that my agent and I are wading through, so, just like tonight, a Sunday night no less at 10:00 PM, I do get an email from agent asking me to light a fire under a certain publisher so she can receive the contract that was offered.

It's funny, but I've always found my inbox to be wanting on the weekends. I don't get nearly as much traffic or communication then, or even spam for that matter.

tri

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Got a rejection on MS4 from a #SFFpit request from December. She was very nice and actually gave me some helpful feedback. Not sure that I can salvage that MS, but if I ever want to go back and try, it will be nice to know some areas to focus on.

:Hug2: for Hathor on the full.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I decided that this week I would try to ignore my pending subs and queries and concentrate instead on my WIP.

I say this after spending a great amount of time yesterday discovering Timeline in QT. Oh dear. There are hours I'll never get back.

My first step to efficiency this week should be to close Gmail and restrict myself to only checking 2-3 times a day. Now, am I capable of that?

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
I *think* I finished WIP1! Just waiting on one final beta read-through and then it's ready to go. Aaaaaahhh!

Hathor -
icon_cookie.gif

And yay for concentrating on WIP!

Nora -
icon_cookie.gif

This week I've got some beta reading to do and the rest of the week is going to be devoted to getting the house ready for company over the holiday. And I have a huge list of busywork stuff I have to do this morning (send off tax forms, make kiddos' doctor appointments, etc) that I really just don't feel like doing :p

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score

Crap. So sorry to hear. :Hug2:Here's some post-rejection Ben&Jerry's for you
icecream.gif
I've had a spoonful from the tub already, though--hope you don't mind... It's just that I got an R on a query this morning. :Shrug:

Last edited:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Crap. So sorry to hear. :Hug2:Here's some post-rejection Ben&Jerry's for you
icecream.gif
I've had a spoonful from the tub already, though--hope you don't mind... It's just that I got an R on a query this morning. :Shrug:

Thanks. What flavor?

Sorry about the R. I've told myself I can't look at Gmail for another hour and a half. To have this amount of self-control on that, I had to have several spoonfuls of the B&J. *hands it back*

Status
Not open for further replies.