Stung by bizarre workshop rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoniedeWesseldorf

Registered
Reaction score
So I applied to a 2015 summer writing workshop – let’s call it the “Zinc Dwelling” conference. I uploaded my application in Jan., the first week the application page went live. The site had some typos on it, but it worked and I thought I had all the info. I needed.

A week after I sent in my application and the $40 fee, I noticed that way down in the ‘Scholarship’ section of the conference info., there was a caveat – don’t use genre, YA or children’s fiction as your writing sample. I hadn’t applied for a scholarship, but I emailed the conference organizer and asked if I could switch my sample, which was YA/adult crossover. The book I planned to workshop isn’t YA, and I told him that.

Got a nice, prompt reply – no need to substitute the writing sample. ‘I took a look at your application and it’s in line with what we look for.’ Whoo – hoo…I’m in, right? I thought it was weird for him to email that when the app. deadline hadn’t even passed, but I wasn’t about to complain.

The next day, that caveat (no YA, no genre fiction, no children’s) was suddenly way up in the main application materials section where it should have been all along.

Well, this week I got a lovely form rejection.

I have a pretty thick skin, and I know this business is competitive, but it stung. Would I have had a better chance if I’d substituted an adult writing sample as I’d wanted to? Was it too commercial, too YA, or too sucky for ‘Zinc Dwelling’? I’ll never know, right?

If I email the guy I’ll only look like one of those psychos who argue with their rejections. But I feel I was treated shabbily. Thoughts?

LeoniedeWesseldorf

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I definitely don't want to be there. Not trying to weasel in; I just don't want this to happen to another writer!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
To be honest, any site that asked me for a $40 fee before acceptance would make me look askance

LeoniedeWesseldorf

Registered
Reaction score
Application fees for workshops

It's pretty common. Squaw Valley Writers charges $35 to apply. Bread Loaf is $15. Sewanee is free - an exception (thank you, Tennessee Williams). But, yeah - won't be coughing up another app. fee any time soon. Sadder but wiser.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think it just means read ALL the guidelines, and not everyone is going to be accepted. I really see nothing the workshop did wrong. As long as the sample requirements were where you could read them, that's on you.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, any site that asked me for a $40 fee before acceptance would make me look askance

There's nothing unusual about an application fee, for writing workshops, or for darned near any other line of business. It's just the chance you take.

LeoniedeWesseldorf

Registered
Reaction score
application guidelines

But see - the guidelines weren't where you could read them. They were on the 'Scholarship' page until I pointed it out.
Anyone not applying for a scholarship wouldn't have seen them. I just happened to be clicking around the site and...

oh, heck. Guess I won't look for any sympathy here. Skin = 1 mm. thicker now.

LeoniedeWesseldorf

Registered
Reaction score
genre issue or quality issue

True. But why did the guy send an email saying the sample was 'in line with what we're looking for'? Wouldn't he know that would raise my hopes? It's odd.

I feel better just posting here, btw. And the conference would have been $1,700, so I probably saved myself a miserable, expensive week. But - beware of 'Zinc Dwelling' workshop application process. Wait until their application site for 2016 is totally spruced up and don't apply the day it goes live!

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
oh, heck. Guess I won't look for any sympathy here.

Aw, I've got some sympathy. It does seem to me that they kinda changed the rules midstream.

Wait until their application site for 2016 is totally spruced up and don't apply the day it goes live!

Same reasoning for why I don't update my phone iOS for awhile after they announced "new and shiny" ... give 'em time to work out the bugs.

Although putting up a simple website is a gazillion times simpler than changing the phone system - and it should have been right the first time. No one edited the website copy, I guess.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree it's odd, and that the restrictions on genre should have been much more visible in the first place. Since you did get that positive response from the guy, it also kind of smacks of some behind the scenes political discord, which would be another reason you might not want to go after all.

But you have my sympathies. :D And I suspect you will find other, better workshops fairly easily.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Just a reminder that meeting guidelines for application is a different consideration than actual acceptance to said workshop.

LeoniedeWesseldorf

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the sympathy! It helps.

And, robjvargas, I agree that meeting guidelines doesn't mean automatic acceptance.

I'm going to use the money I would have spent on conference to design my own conference. Me + a new laptop + some good bottles of wine.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
They really should have been more clear about the writing sample guidelines from the beginning. Those genre restrictions ought to have been stated as prominently as requirements for length, formatting, etc.

I would take "it's in line with what we look for" at face value: it means your sample was strong enough to merit consideration, but in the end they decided to go with another applicant. The choice could have been made for a reason that has nothing to do with the quality of your writing, such as wanting to include people from underrepresented groups or achieving a certain mix of writing styles.

I'd try to look at it like making the short list in a contest. Yes, it hurts not to win, but at least you got one vote of confidence!

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
I have some sympathy. :) It does sound like they changed the rules, and that's never cool. Onward.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
True. But why did the guy send an email saying the sample was 'in line with what we're looking for'?

I read that as saying it was a valid application, nothing relating to acceptance chances.

I don't see any reason to think that they had an unwritten genre rules. They just didn't select you for all the usual reasons.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's pretty common. Squaw Valley Writers charges $35 to apply. Bread Loaf is $15. Sewanee is free - an exception (thank you, Tennessee Williams). But, yeah - won't be coughing up another app. fee any time soon. Sadder but wiser.

But what are you actually paying for?

LeoniedeWesseldorf

Registered
Reaction score
veinglory - their genre rules are written and very explicit; they just didn't have them listed on the app. at the time I applied, as I explained in the initial post. They corrected that mistake after I contacted them, but didn't allow me to change my writing sample. It was a very weird situation. And yes - rejection might have had zippity to do with genre. Still irks.

mirandashell - the app. fees cover administration, I suppose. A glorified reading fee? $40 is on the high end :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I read your post as saying there was in fact no genre requirement unless you wanted the scholarship. If they said there was and changed the website to reflect that making your entry invalid, that is different. That would seem worth asking for a refund.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
But what are you actually paying for?

I was wondering the same thing. Does it really cost that much for them to read your application and decide if you're a good enough writer to benefit from their instruction? Or are they subsidizing the people they accepted with the fees of the people they decide they don't want.

LeoniedeWesseldorf

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. If you don't get picked, you are subsidizing their (well-respected) lit mag and other writers.

All the more reason that their site should have been ready for prime-time, with genre restrictions posted, on day one of their application cycle.

I did get into another workshop and now have to decide if I'll get more out of that or a week of actual WRITING.
Thanks, guys. Feel much better after airing my grievances here.

Reaction score
I don't even submit to lit mags that charge fees to read submissions, much less to workshops. I'm just not going to give you 10 dollars to reject my work. I'd rather spend that on coffee with a lady friend.

Last edited:

Bookmama

Registered
Reaction score
I would take the high road and say, "Bunch of disorganized jerks run that stupid Zinc conference. Glad I didn't waste my time. Next year I'm aiming for the Titanium Conference instead."

But seriously, sounds like they gave you confusing, conflicting advice about your writing sample and application. So why seek out more advice from them? I bet you can do better elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.