Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if she'll be able to make it over here, but Jersey Chick has reported on Facebook her power's out and ETA on restoration is November 5.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Sluggish interwebz, lumbar disc slipped, but only minor probs around the property. One of maybe 3 electrified houses in our immediate neighborhood.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Went to work yesterday, but left at 2:00 PM when winds started to pick up.

I’m back this morning… it’s still raining, but at least the traffic was light.

Public and private schools, state offices, and some businesses were closed yesterday and again today.

We got lots of rain, high winds off and on, but nothing damaging – PTL
icon_cheers.png

We didn’t lose power and there was no flooding in our general vicinity.

Just texted my sister in Queens, NY – She said her vehicle is flooded and they don’t have any power – she said “It’s just a mess!”
icon_pale.gif

My Mom lives on Long Island, so she went to stay with Sis in Queens – Although Mom’s condo is on the 2nd floor, there’s no telling what condition her building is in now, or when she can get back home.

Lawdy-Lawd, help my sister!!!
icon_silent.png

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Ben.

I am in Rochester, NY and still have my power. It was scary last night, but where I am at it didn't take down the trees, for which I am grateful. The storm is forecast to take a turn and head directly north, straight over us on Wednesday. I don't know if that will bring more winds and rain or what. Hopefully nothing more than a chance for me to wave goodbye to it. ;)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch, SWest. I hope you have pain meds for your back. Glad you have your electric and Internet. :Hug2:

Prayers going out for your sis and mom, Lavern. Glad you are ok.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Still have power. It's not even raining here anymore, and everything seems good to go. AC got hit pretty bad, but our building is still standing apparently. I think even my sister still has power, which is shocking considering she loses power if you fart too close to her house.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Prayers for your family, Lavern.

Got an email last night from trumpetology, who hasn't been around much due to internet problems. He was okay then, but didn't give much info.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Ouch, SWest. I hope you have pain meds for your back. Glad you have your electric and Internet. :Hug2:

Thanks, Lady. Moved some stuff out back this morning before I was properly awake and stable-of-core. I'm letting it swell up so I can work on Thursday and Saturday (pending the stores being reopened).

As it is, the poopsies are shell-shocked that I haven't cleared off the entire patio and things are in serious disarray. They're squishier than they look. ;)

Sr. Esteban made a circuit around town...center city closed, all major chain stores closed. One deli some miles out making brisk business with customer cars parked all along the highway. One other small, private family store open and selling their non-perishables in the dark.

We may be one of only a handful of folks with working electricity (owing, I think, to having the elec. co. replace/reinforce the main house line last year when a bird nest put it on the fritz).

MorganMarshall

I keep my head firmly in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsandglorybooks.com
I hope everyone in Sandy's path is hunkered down, safe and sound! We on the West coast are praying / sending good thoughts / sending Red Cross money your way!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Pokes head in*

Paging Stormie, paging Stormie...

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Thank heavens. So glad you're okay, Stormie - and thank you for taking the time to check in! :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
HI All!
So good to be able to connect with my wonderful fellow AWers!

I have low power on my netbook (yesterday I was using my son's iPod). We're at Wendy's with free wifi. I'm writing this quickly, then on to read my messages :)

My house has no damage nor flooding. <whew!> A nor'easter is coming tomorrow, so I might not be on again awhile. I'll try to touch base again soon!

Still no electricity, no hot water. I never realized how icy cold showers could feel like a bunch of needles on your scalp. Wakes me up though!

And then there's the never-ending search for hot coffee. Have to drive around barricades, show my driver's license, and seek out where people are coming out of places with To-Go cups in hand.

Hugs!

ETA: I read a few posts and will be getting to my PMs. Thanks guys! I'm just north of Seaside Heights, NJ, for those who don't know. A lot of damage to property, and my MIL's house basement welcomed the ocean and lagoon, complete with dead fish. It rushed in and made itself at home. We managed to get her to a relatives and all are okay. FEMA's been great.

Wendy's here is the only place open that has wifi. In fact, it's just about the only place to eat that is open in my area, that happened only a day ago.

Love you guys!

Last edited: