Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody read YA books that have to do with messing around with people's memories? Like adding/removing/replacing them. Kind of in the vein of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Soooo ... Who can tell me a good, dark SF that isn't dystopian or a PNR with aliens/robots/experimental guinea pig in place of a supernatural critter? The more action packed, the better.

Please and thank you!

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
Soooo ... Who can tell me a good, dark SF that isn't dystopian or a PNR with aliens/robots/experimental guinea pig in place of a supernatural critter? The more action packed, the better.

Please and thank you!

Black Hole Sun and the sequels? I guess the moon is a bit dystopic, but that is never really the point of the stories. VERY action packed.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Already read the first one, and while it should have been my thing, it wasn't. Alas.

Thank you, though. :)

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody read YA books that have to do with messing around with people's memories? Like adding/removing/replacing them. Kind of in the vein of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?
RENEGADE, in a way.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love some classic YA. Think stuff that was written in late 90s, early 2000's. I feel like I read a lot of today's YA but not the beginnings. :) Thanks in advance!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love some classic YA. Think stuff that was written in late 90s, early 2000's. I feel like I read a lot of today's YA but not the beginnings. :) Thanks in advance!
The Forbidden Game by L. J. Smith (1994) is a rather well-known example of contemporary/urban fantasy YA.

yayeahyeah

Registered
Reaction score
What are your favorite contemps from 2012 and 2013 (so far)? If the author is so famous they get to talk to the president, assume I already know about it.

Skin Deep and By Any Other Name, both by Laura Jarratt.
Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
Black Sheep by Na'ima B Robert

Above are all standalones.

Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry
Geek Girl by Holly Smale

Geek Girl is the first in a series but reads well as a standalone, McGarry's second book Dare You To (also good) is a 'companion book' to PTL, featuring one character from PTL as a main character and a couple of others in smaller roles.

Another Life by Keren David (3rd in a trilogy, which starts with When I Was Joe and Almost True)
Emma Hearts LA by Keris Stainton (2nd in a series which starts with Jessie Hearts NYC.)

Dagrami

stuck in the middle
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody happen to know of any YA set in Scotland? Or something heavily Scotland based. Can be contemp/historical/fantasy.

I know there's a lot of cheesy highlander romances/erotica for adults out there, but not heard of any YA...

I'm looking for a present for my Scotland-obsessed sister! Not sure I'd feel right giving her a book where some woman gets ravaged by a randy laird. Although that could be pretty funny...

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody happen to know of any YA set in Scotland? Or something heavily Scotland based. Can be contemp/historical/fantasy.

I know there's a lot of cheesy highlander romances/erotica for adults out there, but not heard of any YA...

I'm looking for a present for my Scotland-obsessed sister! Not sure I'd feel right giving her a book where some woman gets ravaged by a randy laird. Although that could be pretty funny...

Gillian Philip's books are set in Scotland, and she writes excellent, gritty contemp stories (also some fantasy but I've not read those). My absolute favourite is CROSSING THE LINE. The skinny-dipping-in-the-freezing-scottish-sea bit is my favourite. Probably the most realistic skinny-dipping scene I've read in a while...

Last edited:

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Note to self to look up Gillian Philip. I'd love to read a good contemp set in Scotland. Thanks, LadyA!

Last edited:

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure how to describe what I want other than that I'm looking for some introspective contemporary novels; something that really focuses on the MCs inner growth. I feel like this is too broad, but I don't know how to narrow it down...

I suppose something where the MC is confused about the future and what they want, or something where the MC isn't happy with who they are so they try to change.

If anyone can help at all, I would appreciate it.

Dagrami

stuck in the middle
Registered
Reaction score
Gilian Philip's books are set in Scotland, and she writes excellent, gritty contemp stories (also some fantasy but I've not read those). My absolute favourite is CROSSING THE LINE. The skinny-dipping-in-the-freezing-scottish-sea bit is my favourite. Probably the most realistic skinny-dipping scene I've read in a while...

Great stuff, thanks!

Nicole River

with the weird fowl in her userpic
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know any good YA's with a developed sibling relationship? Doesn't have to be paranormal/fantasy but it would be nice. I don't mean incest or anything like that, just a non-one-dimensional sibling relationship. Bonus points if the novel is recent. Thanks!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know any good YA's with a developed sibling relationship? Doesn't have to be paranormal/fantasy but it would be nice. I don't mean incest or anything like that, just a non-one-dimensional sibling relationship. Bonus points if the novel is recent. Thanks!
MIND GAMES (SISTER ASSASSINS in UK). It's about sisters, they have a complicated relationship. It's also a thriller with spies and psi powers, so not a fantasy. Totally recent, released in 2013.

Nicole River

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I looked it up, sounds reeeally good.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
YA dystopias often feature societies existing in domes with a big secret waiting outside the domes.

Which book has the coolest secret? I want to read it. :)

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
What would be the starting point if I wanted to read a regular school life drama? Like the normal, go to school, go to work, enjoy hobbies, and live life arcs. A particularly dark contemporary with a teen revenge plot.

Last edited:

totopink

Registered
Reaction score
YA horror recommendations??
I'm looking for some bone chilling creepy tails that leave you feeling really uncomfortable after reading.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
YA horror recommendations??
I'm looking for some bone chilling creepy tails that leave you feeling really uncomfortable after reading.

The Monstrumologist series, Slice of Cherry, and the Marbury Lens series is a great start.

Nicole River

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm addressing the collective mind again. Can anyone think of books with autistic characters? Main, secondary, doesn't matter as long as they're more or less prominent (at least a few scenes). Can be paranormal, SFF, whatever. The more recent the better. Thanks!